TPWD Hunt Best Practices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wence View Post
    My boy and my cousins boy drew Daughtery for the youth GDE December 17-20. I think I'm more excited than my boy.

Awesome! I'll have my 9 year old there. Planning to stay at the State park. Hopefully meet up with you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We're staying at state park too. Look forward to meeting you. Hunt will be here before you know. After reading 150class live hunt again the other day, the anticipation is killing me.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntercoach View Post
        My son got drawn for the doe/spike hunt next weekend at the Daughtrey. Are there blinds in the hunt areas? I will be bringing a popup along also. Can you drive in the area you are assigned to hunt? Just wondering how light to pack.
        How did y'alls hunt go?

Comment

My kids and I have hunted the following: If any would like some info
          Mason Mtn
          Nanny Stringfellow
          Chaparrell WMA
          White Oak Creek
          Fairfield Lake
          Balcones NWR
          Bastrop
          TNC ranch-Travis Co

Comment

PM me for info please

Comment

Anyone hunting/hunted Government Canyon?

Comment

Originally posted by BuckAuger View Post
                PM me for info please
                Pm sent.

Comment

We drew youth deer either sex in the chaparral on dec 27-30 I have never hunted this far down in south Texas and it's also our first time to get drawn. Any tips would be greatly appreciated thank you

Comment

I'mI'm headedoing down there the week after thanksgiving for a standby opportunity.

I've hunted Javi twice and seen lots of deer on both outtings by corning the roads for a long ways. I look for where a draw crosses the road as well as a slight elevation change so I can see a far as possible. Looking for where trails cross, water, draws or possibly a few oaks with acorns....not many of them.

Take a pop up as you may or may not have a blind in your area. It could be an elevated box with no top and an expanded metal floor....cold if it's cold out. They also have some nice box blinds just not sure how many.

Take lots of corn but scatter lightly or they'll stay out all night eating. On the second day try to stay out all day or nearly all day. It's a short hunt and it can happen at any time. If looking for a doe or spike, my plan would be to kill it early in the morning then be back in the stand before 10 or 11.
                    Last edited by Slick8; 11-20-2016, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Just got back from a standby hunt. Me and hunting buddy did good, he got a 4.5 yo 10 pt and I shot a 5.5 yo 8 point. Best advice I can give is get your feet on the ground asap. Thought google earth was gonna be my friend, boy was I wrong. Spent a few hours first day walking the whole compartment, found a couple good spots and played the wind.

Comment

How far will shots be? Also is rattling or scents allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by LVhunter09 View Post
                          How far will shots be? Also is rattling or scents allowed?
                          Where at?

I've never heard of rattling or scents not being allowed, most allow corn as well.

Comment

The chaparral and ok I keep hearing pop ups is the way to go so I'm going to take one. Do y'all happen to know when they rut at the chaparral?

Comment

1. Scout - even if it's the morning of, try and get familiar with all compartments and develope a game plan.
                              2. Blinds - I would take one of each, pop up, clamp on, tripod, and ladder stand. It's better to take it and not have to use it than not and need to.
                              3. Find at least 4 spots once you're in your compartment. Take a couple of hours and really look for good spots.
                              4. Good optics - buy the best you can afford and use them if you're in a large area.
                              5. Play the wind and walk further than the regular guy.

Good luck in your WMA hunts.

Comment

Thank y'all for all the tips I hope I can get him his first deer I'll post pictures if we do thanks again

Comment

Working...
                                X