Best Tom to Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Tom to Date

With a Bow. Just got back from Paint Rock in Concho County today. We had a great hunt, despite the winds.(they were terrible). I hunted out of the T-2 Double Bull Blind. We were on plenty of birds. I saw turkeys every hunt except one. That was Sunday morning. We hunted Saturday and Sunday only. We were going to stay longer, but we both killed our bird, so we came home today. Jerry, my turkey huntin Buddy, hunts with a gun. He killed his biggest bird ever, weighing in at 23 pounds. Sunday afternoon, I got to the blind around 4:30. Jerry had built me a turkey fan on a stick. It really looks good. I set it out. About 5:30, I see 4 turkeys coming up in the field I was on from the South. They are 150 yards when I see them. I look HARD for a beard......ain't none. They continue to come toward me, but cut back in the brush, that runs behind me. I don't see them for about 5 minutes. They are coming behind me. I keep watching them, until they're right behind me. Then I catch movement close to them. It is a Tom in full strutt. He is coming straight to the fan that I put out. I duck to cover and come to full draw. Slowly, I work my way around to the little side window in the back. I have the shoot-thru screen up, but the big window is behind me, giving the Tom pretty easy acess to seeing me...... But he is concentrating on the fan. coming at a pretty fast pace. I put the pin on him, raise it up just the least bit and release. He is at about 13 yards by now. Good Hit, He goes down and starts flopping around. He then gets up and runs about 5 yards and goes back down.....What do I do? Run to him or wait for him to die?
    As I am trying to decide, he flys off, but only around 20 yards, but across a fence. I lose sight of him. Out of the blind I come, running. As I look for him, I can't find him. Where did he go? I am wild and sick by this time. I walk about 40 yards from the fence. Nothing. Heats sinks and throw my hands up.. I then turn to the East about 25 yards and start walking back to the fence. Just as I get close to the fence, He jumps up and runs.The race is on thru the brush and cactus. He is hit hard, so I finally catch him after what seemed like two counties. I am scratched up almost as bad as when I was lost. But I got him. He weighed 19.5 lbs and had a 10 1/2 inch beard

Click image for larger version

Name:	paintrock09 007.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	24758708

Good story man,grats on the bird.

Comment

Congrats on the thunder chicken!

Bisch

Comment

Congrats on the big tom. Sound like he gave you a run for your money.

Comment

nice bird! congrats!

Comment

Sweet thunder turkey, congrats

Comment

I want my first bow turkey this year, the scatter gun is just no fun anymore. Congrats.

Comment

wayta go!!!

Comment

Congrats! Great story!

Comment

Nice rope!

Comment

Glad you got him Ronnie. I would like to have video of the chase!

Comment

Congrats, it just didnt pan out for us this weekend, im glad you had some luck

Comment

Good one. Congrats.

Comment

I guess all the marathon training is paying off, huh Ronnie?

Congrats for sticking and chasing down a great looking longbeard.

Comment

Sounds like an exciting hunt, congrats.

Comment

Working...
                              X