TPWD Draw Hunt Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPWD Draw Hunt Points

What if instead of you earning points in a particular hunt category you simply earned points which could be used in any category.

For example I have 23 point for Rita Blanca Pronghorn and 4 points for GDE and 12 pts for MDE. So I have 39 total points, wouldn't it be great if we could then have the choice to put say 20 points toward a hard to draw hunt and the remaining I could use whereever. Or if I wanted I could put all of my points in on one single hunt in an attempt to draw that "once in a lifetime" hunt before I die.

What are your thoughts?

Meh, nope, keep it how it is but add a multiplier or square the points to make odd better for folks with a ton of points.

Comment

To complicated, they can't even get it right with the simple system they have now. Leave it alone

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
        Meh, nope, keep it how it is but add a multiplier or square the points to make odd better for folks with a ton of points.
        I’m in favor of this.

That being said, they can’t seem to get the current draw system to work right so I’m not holding my breath on any changes working right either.

Comment

They need to add a "point only" option for those looking to accumulate points but don't want to or can't hunt any particular year. Would help the draw odds a bit too.

Comment

I've had 0 points in a couple of popular categories that I've still gotten drawn on, and others where I have several points that I've never been drawn for.... so not sure how the system is actually working other than how its supposed to work. I don't really think the points matter.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
              I've had 0 points in a couple of popular categories that I've still gotten drawn on, and others where I have several points that I've never been drawn for.... so not sure how the system is actually working other than how its supposed to work. I don't really think the points matter.
              The more applicants you add they definitely matter less, and they've got way more people entering now online.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                They need to add a "point only" option for those looking to accumulate points but don't want to or can't hunt any particular year. Would help the draw odds a bit too.
                If your luck is anything like mine, just go ahead and apply and you should still get your points

Comment

Originally posted by ttu1997 View Post
                  What if instead of you earning points in a particular hunt category you simply earned points which could be used in any category.

For example I have 23 point for Rita Blanca Pronghorn and 4 points for GDE and 12 pts for MDE. So I have 39 total points, wouldn't it be great if we could then have the choice to put say 20 points toward a hard to draw hunt and the remaining I could use whereever. Or if I wanted I could put all of my points in on one single hunt in an attempt to draw that "once in a lifetime" hunt before I die.

What are your thoughts?
                  Seems like to me it would open the door for rich people to accumulate tons of points by applying in every category where some people can't afford to apply in all of them. So where someone has the opportunity to draw the "once in a lifetime" after years of applying and getting points from just a few things like you say, someone else could apply in all the categories and gets lots of points then draw a bunch of good hunts using all their "bought" points. Just thinking out loud, and I may be overlooking something, but I think there is a reason that your points only work in the category they are earned from.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                    Couldn't agree more, lost 8 years of points to a Muley Gun hunt that I couldn't go on

Comment

I have 37 preference points for gde and maybe this will be the year.

Comment

Originally posted by SticksnStrings View Post
                        Seems like to me it would open the door for rich people to accumulate tons of points by applying in every category where some people can't afford to apply in all of them. So where someone has the opportunity to draw the "once in a lifetime" after years of applying and getting points from just a few things like you say, someone else could apply in all the categories and gets lots of points then draw a bunch of good hunts using all their "bought" points. Just thinking out loud, and I may be overlooking something, but I think there is a reason that your points only work in the category they are earned from.
                        The only issue with what you are proposing is that if that "rich" person buys a chance to be drawn in each hunt trying to build up points for the future and they get drawn for one of those hunts then they loose that category's points.

My example is that I wish I had the opportunity to use all of my points Or "tickets" if you will to put into one bucket for one single draw for say Rita Blanca Antelope and if I get drawn then there goes all of my points. If I don't get drawn then I just earned 1 more point to use next year how I see fit.

The draw is still a lottery which means a person with 1 pt/ticket could be drawn even if I had the other 99%.

Comment

I think the system works fairly well like it is. Most years I don’t get drawn for anything but once in a while I get lucky. I have been applying for these hunts for quite a few years and have been drawn for two hunts one year and even three hunts one year, but mostly I’m just building points. Fortunately I am on a lease and don’t have to depend entirely on this draw system for hunting opportunities

Comment

I have never been drawn and have been putting in for 17 years. I would like to know if the points actually do help or not cause at this rate I would think it would be time I’d have got drawn at least once in each category.

Comment

I’ve gotten drawn for teniente 2 years in a row. Being my first time entering.

Comment

Working...
                              X