Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talent is equally distributed, but opportunity is not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm I can't draw a straight line with a ruler therefore, all this paper on my desk giving me opportunity to draw sumpin ain't gonna mean nothing.

Comment

Those of us who are doing well like to think of it all as hard work and talent, those of us who aren't think of it as luck or "knowing people".

I like to think it's a mix of hard work, talent, luck, timing, and the ability to sell yourself.

-Hard work and talent are obvious
      -Luck, because life is not fair: the universe doesn't care about you no matter how great you are
      -timing, because asking your boss for a promotion when your company is having a record bad year isn't the best idea.
      -selling yourself: no one is going to think you're anything but worthless unless you can convince them otherwise.

Equality of opportunity or talent is a myth made up by people who wish the world was a better place than it is. Just like the phrase "all men are created equal". Biggest lie ever sold.

edit: but everyone is capable of working hard, though plenty refuse to.
      Last edited by sir shovelhands; 08-06-2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        This is the mindset that is emerging...

Heard this on a commercial from an institute of "higher learning". We're in big trouble if this is truly what academia is brainwashing our future with. SMH.

"The world in which we live equally distributes talent but it doesnt equally distribute opportunity and paths are not always the same..."

This was on a commercial for Southern New Hampshire University.

Nothing about hard work or effort
        This university is advertising aggressively to promote its online programs, which have expanded to over 80,000 students -- rivaling for-profit programs such as Western Governors University. The model uses competency-based programs rather than traditional hours-based curricula. They have also won approval by the U.S. Dept. of Education for these programs, making federal employees eligible to get various degrees there.

What they are marketing is opportunity, and they just got exposure on our site.

Comment

Originally posted by neskora View Post
          Southern New Hampshire University is just playing to their customer base. The vast majority of their students are either people who dropped out of college and want to finish a degree years later or never went to college in the first place and are trying to start a degree later in life. Of course they’re going to market to them.

It’s like a weight loss commercial saying “Do you just not have time to workout or eat healthy?”
          Great post!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
            This university is advertising aggressively to promote its online programs, which have expanded to over 80,000 students -- rivaling for-profit programs such as Western Governors University. The model uses competency-based programs rather than traditional hours-based curricula. They have also won approval by the U.S. Dept. of Education for these programs, making federal employees eligible to get various degrees there.

What they are marketing is opportunity, and they just got exposure on our site.
            I realize it is a marketing message. Marketers don’t just toss a message out in hopes that it connects with the target audience. The message was crafted out of market research that indicates this is an emerging sentiment. And the university is validating it
            Last edited by Playa; 08-07-2018, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Talent isn’t distributed evenly for a long list of reasons. Probably not PC to say, but that’s just the way it is.

Opportunity most certainly isn’t spread evenly, either. Lots of folks are born with a huge advantage. I don’t believe that should be held against those priviledged or lucky folks in any way, because most of it has to do with solid parenting. I do believe that to whom much is given, much is required.

I feel very grateful for having a normal raising and good luck so far in life. As I get older I realize that there are so many folks that just never had a very good shake at really making much for themselves. There are a lot of really hard working folks around here that just won’t ever have much and it is a sad deal. They don’t have the opportunity. I do what I can help those folks as much as I can.
              Last edited by Razrbk89; 08-07-2018, 04:52 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                I realize it is a marketing message. Marketers don’t just toss a message out in hopes that it connects with the target audience. The message was crafted out of market research that indicates this is an emerging sentiment. And the university is validating it
                You're not wrong, but I think the marketing is targeted to those who may not have started or completed degrees, working at jobs they feel less than fulfilled by. It's a self-validating claim to some, who see the non-traditional degrees much more practical and expedient than years of college courses racking up hours to graduate. It's an easier opportunity for those thinking their talents have been overlooked or undervalued. I don't necessarily feel that research will bear out that the broader premise in the thread title is exactly an emerging sentiment. Just stating it doesn't make it so.

Comment

Opportunities abound. Every crisis in life is an opportunity.
                  Examples:
                  You had the opportunity to NOT dry fire your bow. What did you learn?
                  You had the opportunity to NOT vote for Obama. What did you learn?

See what happens when you blow a good opportunity

Comment

Opportunity is what you make of the day when you crawl out of bed

Comment

SNHU and most of the "universities" who advertise the computer based degrees are pandering to people who are on the government teat already. A lot of these folk have good intentions, I'm sure, but lack the drive to complete the work necessary to earn a degree. Most use government backed loans for the schooling so the "colleges" have no incentive to see them get a degree. They will be paid whether the degree is earned or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X