LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LBJ Grasslands

I'm seeing deer tracks but no deer. No rubs or scrapes either. At least, the tracks looked fresh.

Anyone seeing deer?

Scott

I saw one buck Saturday morning.

Comment

They still eating browse and acorns maybe?? OOOOPS I forgot ya cant "bait" Public Lands. They started coming on on us finally. I used some C'MERE DEER and that stuff really SEEMED to work! Ya might try some of the rice bran and jello which I hear theyre doing it up there
      Last edited by Longstick; 10-22-2006, 05:51 PM.

Comment

All baiting of game is illegal on the National Forest and Grasslands in Texas. I'd be careful putting it in writing if you're doing it.

Comment

I am seeing tracks and sign, but no deer either.

I think that they are being a little nocturnal, due to the heavy bow season pressure this year. I've never seen so many people in the 5 years I have been out there.

But I do know that some people are seeing them, and scoring. I am gonna head further back into the woods and get away from everyone.

Here on TBH we are part of the "Eyes in the woods" program at LBJ for the U.S. Forestry Ranger, David. He is the law out there.There are no forms of baiting, allowed at all. The fine starts at $500 and the loss of whatever hunting equipment is being used. It is a Federal Thing, which can be turned over to a Texas thing, and you can be fined out the kazoo by both. Seen it happen last year to a guy who had baited and scored. He had to pay restitution for the deer too. It ended up being like $8000.

No jello, no corn, no food plots, no nothin. Just friendly advise.

Dave in Denton

Comment

Been out there three times. Saw either a deer or hog everytime, couldnt get any shots thou.

Comment

Letting all the TBH'ers that also gun hunt at LBJ: I just received an email notification of being drawn for an ANTERLESS PERMIT at LBJ. Hardcopy will be mailed to the individual winners of the drawing on or by October 26.
              Pat

Comment

I got my E-Mail today as well.

Comment

Well I guess I did not get one because I have not received an e-mail from them today. Looks like I better get a doe on the ground before general season starts.

Comment

Got my email today!!!!! How many do you think applied!!!

Comment

We didn't get drawn either.. Gave them a call a little bit ago but nothing for either of us.. She wouldn't tell me how many people sent in apps. and wouldn't give me a number of how many got drawn either.... Just told me they drew the names over the weekend and e-mailed everyone that wanted to be e-mailed and the rest would hear by mail!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like I'm out of luck to busy next weekend, maybe Brian will get lucky!!!!!!!!

Ronda

Comment

I got the email too! Very cool!!!

I'll be out there tomorrow morning. Gotta start seeing animals soon.

Scott
                        Last edited by sdfrench; 10-23-2006, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Right now I"m not able to get back up there till Saturday afternoon and finish out the bow season hunting Sunday. I usually camp on the NE side of Cottonwood but this last time I'm going to just roll up in a sleeping bag in the bed of the truck-why build my big tent and camp for just one night? With the cooler weather having rolled in the bucks should be beginning to run around alot more and I have a couple of good spots scouted, stepped in, and ready to go and would love to finish out the bow season with a twang! Good luck to you all. Pat

Comment

Like TCD said no luck for us,so maybe next year.I do have a couple spots to scout for some bucks and maybe i can end the season with a nice public land buck..GOOD LUCK to ALL that recieved the permits...Brian

Comment

I did get my email also for a doe @ LBJ, I have seen a lot of doe but only 1 buck. The doe I have seen have been so far away that I couldn't even hit them with a shotgun. I have seen so many "fresh" tracks that I don't know where to hunt. Last Saturday, I found a highway that it looked like several deer using it.

I haven't seen any rubs yet this year but that doesn't discourage me I know they are out there. The hunters will be moving the deer about and that is when we will get one.

Comment

Working...
                              X