Field points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field points

Why is it you can buy 150 grain broadheads but only 145 grain field points?

Originally posted by DRT View Post
    Why is it you can buy 150 grain broadheads but only 145 grain field points?
    Because, that way they can convince you to buy the 5gr brass washers to make them match.

Rick

Comment

That seems the only option.

Comment

That seems the only option.
        You'll have to do a little searching, but you can find 150gr field points out there.

I finally just quit going to the trouble, and moved to a broadhead weight, that field points of the same weight were readily available.

P.S.

You probably won't notice much (if any) difference between 145 & 150 in your tuning & shooting. Some do, some don't.

If you do, just get the washers. Seriously. Those washers are also great for changing up head weight to find what weight you need/want when tuning. Much better/easier than buying field point test kits.

Rick

Comment

I have 145 grain field points. Honestly I'm not able to get the flight I need with the Thunderchild. 30.5" 600 spine arrows show weak with as low as 100 grain points and 7.75" brace height. At this point I'm kinda stumped.

Comment

I have 145 grain field points. Honestly I'm not able to get the flight I need with the Thunderchild. 30.5" 600 spine arrows show weak with as low as 100 grain points and 7.75" brace height. At this point I'm kinda stumped.
            What is the draw weight of your TC at your draw length?

What brand & model of arrow shafts?

Comment

It's 50 at 28. I'm a 26. I'm assuming around 44lbs. Big Jim suggested I start where I did.

Comment

Yeah, there's the problem.

You'd have to drop down to about 95gr point weight at that shaft length, or cut them down to a little under 29" bop to make those .600's shoot well with 145 - 150 grain points.

.500's cut to 30.75" bop will work at your 145 - 150 grain point weight.

Comment

Tried the 500s from full length on down. Got decent flight but sounds like two 2x4s clanking together. Jim says it's way to stiff and try the 600s. Now that said with 100 grain heads and adjusting bh I was close. Still to dang loud to hunt with.

Comment

If they show weak at 30.5” and you only draw 26” why not cut them to stiffen the spine?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                      If they show weak at 30.5” and you only draw 26” why not cut them to stiffen the spine?
                      That's what I was getting at. Just offering some options otherwise.

Either way, there's some major changes in need.

Rick

Comment

It seems a fairly easy process with the recurve. The long bow seems different. My recurve is only 3lbs heavier. That said my recurve is fine with full length 500s and 145 grain heads.

I just hate to cut down arrows to find that isn't the solution. I'm as much concerned about the bow noise as the arrow flight.

Comment

It seems a fairly easy process with the recurve. The long bow seems different. My recurve is only 3lbs heavier. That said my recurve is fine with full length 500s and 145 grain heads.

I just hate to cut down arrows to find that isn't the solution. I'm as much concerned about the bow noise as the arrow flight.
                          That's the price we pay in our endeavor for good flight, and a quiet bow.
                          No way to get around it, unless we decide to settle for less than possible.

PS
                          While I know it can be done (I've done it)
                          It is seldom you will get the same set of arrows to match both bows.
                          A recurve will generally generate an energy equal to that of a longbow 15# heavier in draw weight.

Rick
                          Last edited by RickBarbee; 02-18-2018, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Don't want to match arrows. On the calculator it showed they were close but reality is different. I can trim some. I wouldn't mind shooting a 100 grain head though.

Comment

Don't want to match arrows. On the calculator it showed they were close but reality is different. I can trim some. I wouldn't mind shooting a 100 grain head though.
                              What calculator?

I'm not calling all this stuff from brain power (ain't got nuff a dat).
                              I'm using a calculator, and it says a .600 is way weak at that length with even a 125gr point.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X