Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever had your debit card hacked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever had your debit card hacked?

In the last month, my wife's card got hacked, and now mine got it. This is the first time in my life I have ever had this problem, and it has happened twice in less than a month.

The only thing that has changed is my mobile device. I have had an Iphone ever since the first one came out. About 4 months ago, I switched to the Galaxy S8. The guys at work, all have Iphones, and they are trying to tell me that Android based phones are less secure than Iphones, and that is probably the reason I am having trouble. I do have my banking app on my phone, and I do online purchases, but mostly only use Paypal.

The only difference in my life is this new phone. Could this really be the culprit? I don't download any strange apps or click links that look fishy. I am very careful when choosing passwords and try to change them often.

Any insight on this would be great. I am getting very frustrated at this point. They hit me for $585.97 this last time.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Yep. It can happen in a variety of ways. We've had it happen 5-6 times.

Comment

never use your debit card as a debit card. always run it as a credit card. never enter your pin. nothing will keep you 100% safe. but this will help.

Comment

Hard to say why, had my CC hacked 3 times in one year. sometimes it's a bad waitress/waiter.

Comment

I never use my debit card but my credit card has been hacked 4 times now. Chase caught the first 3 and called me, I caught the 4th. The person I talked to the last time said every bit of information that was entered was correct. CC number, 3 digits on the back, name, etc.
          Chase has been great about it every time. The worst part about the whole deal is setting up all my auto drafted bills on the new card.

Comment

Yes twice in the past 3 months. Once for 350 and then 900

Comment

I've had my debit card and credit card hacked. Both in the last year.

Debit card was through a local restaurant in which SEVERAL were hacked. Not sure where or how the credit card got hacked.

But since the last hacking, I try to use mostly cash now. I mainly use my credit card for fuel, groceries, and places such as Atwoods that I trust.

Everything else is cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, twice and it happened both times after buying gas at bucee's in baytown, like mentioned use as cc.

Comment

Nope, they wouldn’t get far.

Comment

Nothing or nowhere is safe anymore. Debit or credit cards. Been hacked several times in the last few years, my wife as well. We never have found out conclusively where they were hacked but we suspect the 7-11 by the house. Quit going there but the wide got hacked again last week. It's a never-ending fight. Cash only mentality isn't even safe if the hack the bank or card system.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Uber charged mine just over 3k once.

Comment

had it happen to wife's card years ago. Took about a year to get it all cleared. up

Comment

Mine got hacked paying for gas....someone in Chicago also needed gas and some white castle .

Comment

Yes, about a year ago. The bank called me, asking if I had been shopping in Laredo recently. I said no. They told me someone had used my card at a Wal-Mart in Laredo, twice. They stopped the charges and sent me a new card. I was surprised they caught it so quickly. There had to be something suspicious about the transactions.

Comment

They got me 3 months or so ago.
                              There was a Skimmer in a gas pump card reader. Got me for $400.
                              I try and only use cash for gas now.

Comment

Working...
                              X