MLD Culling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLD Culling

On the prowl for some flatheads and culls with the boom stick. Had the MR6 all packed up but didn't have the time to get scent free so boom stick it is. Here's what in the sendero now.

Obviously, he's not a cull

Comment

So you shoot him?

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
        So you shoot him?
        I hope not

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
          I hope not
          No doubt. That would be an "Oops" moment.

Comment

Originally posted by FCTrapper View Post
            Ha. No this boy gets a pass. We got skunked this weekend. Little to no movement. Browse is still extremely green and the protein feeders are yet to be emptied. Should be a few more weeks before we see some solid movement.

Comment

I wouldnt shoot a doe that has a fawn with spots right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                I hope not
                Originally posted by FCTrapper View Post
                I know, I know

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                I wouldnt shoot a doe that has a fawn with spots right now.
                This seem's to be a really debated topic, that I've seen.

I see the two sides with the fawn being too young and without the mom its survival chances plummet.
                Then I've heard a fawn that has spots into the season came from a doe thats off cycle and breeding too late (is there such thing as too late?) and needs to be shot.

Your opinion Marco?

Comment

all my fawns still have spots still... so...

Comment

Referring to regular gun season in November (sorry for the confusion)

Comment

What about in years where a ranch must harvest an abnormally high number of does to meet its quota?

For example, if a ranch were to be approved for a TTT transfer of 20-30 does and helicopter surveys counted more fawns than does, and biologist numbers called for the harvesting of 45 does to begin with would your opinion still be the same? I personally believe it would be difficult to meet quotas without harvesting a few does with spotted fawns at their side.

Comment

you have 5 months... it's not like you have to do it all in 3 days...

In situations like you described... if you take 30 does with the helicopter... that leaves you 15 left to take... you have to kill 10 deer for CWD tests to do your TTT... if you choose to use does to do that.... kill em in mid to late november. Most of your fawns aren't going to have spots then.

We are usually shooting does in jan-Feb... you just haven't won the battle for a buck fawn just because you see it on the ground in the survey... every advantage you can give it for survival is worth it IMO.

If we aren't doing TTT I think the best thing to do is to shoot doe fawns in the late late season for your doe harvest.
                        Last edited by Encinal; 10-14-2013, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Marko I can understand not shooting does till approx Thankksgiving in S Texas, but why wait till Jan and February when 75% of does will be bred?

Comment

but why wait till Jan and February when 75% of does will be bred?
                            If you have to take out a lot of deer and try to get your numbers down for next year, then by waiting until late in the season you not only kill the doe but also the offspring. You'll have less fawns the following year and may not have to kill as many deer the next season

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                              I know, I know

This seem's to be a really debated topic, that I've seen.

I see the two sides with the fawn being too young and without the mom its survival chances plummet.
                              Then I've heard a fawn that has spots into the season came from a doe thats off cycle and breeding too late (is there such thing as too late?) and needs to be shot.

Your opinion Marco?
                              Im no Marko but here are my thoughts.

I think the late fawns are more of a factor of drought and doe density. Im not shooting a doe with a fawn that has spots. Matter of fact I passed on two of them this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X