No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're down here in Austin from the MetroMess for Thanksgiving and my son packed our bows. I'd like to take him out to Granger and look around tomorrow (Friday). We're in my wife's mini-van. We usually hunt the public lands within an hour of home.

Where is a 'van accessible' location around Granger that might prove fruitful? Thanks.

Comment

The last time I hunter Grainger WMA, they were coming in right after the hunt to do some helicopter hunting for them. The local farmers finally got the state to pay the bill to do so. Shot a couple of them wooly mammoth looking hogs out there that time and have not gotten a chance to go back. I do however want to, so I'm interested.

Comment

I went out Thursday morning. Found 2 more scrapes, another tree stand in the same area as the first one and a hog pipe. All seemed to have been there for a while. There was some new orange flagging out there. I saw a real nice buck, long G2's. He saw me first so it was a quick look for me. LOL

A lot of signs of them rutten around, but I hadn't seen any hogs yet. I will try to get out there a little earlier. Maybe go in the morning, if I can sneak out before anyone gets up, you know leave a note that reads:

'Bro went huntin make yourself at home tell everyone that I will be back around noon.'

Comment

Originally posted by 05 gray ghost View Post
          I went out Thursday morning. Found 2 more scrapes, another tree stand in the same area as the first one and a hog pipe. All seemed to have been there for a while. There was some new orange flagging out there. I saw a real nice buck, long G2's. He saw me first so it was a quick look for me. LOL

A lot of signs of them rutten around, but I hadn't seen any hogs yet. I will try to get out there a little earlier. Maybe go in the morning, if I can sneak out before anyone gets up, you know leave a note that reads:

'Bro went huntin make yourself at home tell everyone that I will be back around noon.'
          Well I didn't make it this morning, don't wake up until 6:30 might try tonight or tomorrow.

Comment

Gonna try Pecan Grove in the morning. Hopefully this cold weather will have everything out moving.

Comment

Got out to 95 and san gabriel at 630. Real still and dry leaves make a lo
              ud walk in. Wind has picked up now and I'm 1.5 miles in. Give it another hour then back to the house for last visit with all before they head home.

Comment

Deer TORTURE

I've just started hunting Grngr and love it. Ive seen lots of sign and a few small hogs(none within bow range). However, the problem is I am seeing some huge, awsome deer and I can't wack'em. Why is that? Do they ever open it to deer hunting?

Comment

You wouldn't believe what the morning I had today. Fair warning this is probably going to be a pretty long post. Quick summary posted at bottom for those that don't want to read. The points I will be referring to are from the map on page one of this thread.

So I got up about 5 AM. Left the house around 5:45 and pulled into Pecan Grove at about 6:25. 6:36 was technically legal shooting light. So I took off from the parking lot heading south along the dam. The plan was to get almost all the way to the end of the dam and then work my way back in a north east direction so that anything I had spooked up would be between me and the river.

So I moved as quick as I could and got down to the open area just past point X. I started to work the wood line on the south side of that opening. I had planned on going left, but the trail to the right looked like there were less dead leaves and wouldn't be as loud to walk. As I crossed through that tree line I noticed a creek on my right hand side. It was kind of a creek/swamp. It was only one to two feet deep and was so full of reeds you could barely see the water. I walked along the creek till I was a little past point IX on the south side.

I had decided to start making my way north east as planned and leave the creek side when a noise caught my attention. At first it seemed as if the wind had just picked up. It had, but that wasn't the only thing. I quickly noticed the reeds in the creek swaying around. It also sounded as if the water was churning. For a brief moment I thought that maybe they were letting some water through the dam and I was in a bad spot. There was a slight clearing of where I could see the water in the creek though and the water wasn't moving. So I waited a second to see what in the world was going on.

Out of nowhere I hear an eruption of squeals and snorts break the air. There was at least a 20 yard section of reeds that were swaying all over the place and being knocked down. I stood about 10 yards from the edge of the creek just waiting to catch a glimpse of one as the crowd of disturbed reeds got closer and closer. I was waiting and had a perfect window into the reeds that would offer a 20 or 30 yard shot. I got extremely nervous and could just picture them busting out of the reeds and running straight at me at any minute. They took the far side of the creek though and went right around my opening. The reeds were so thick I didn't even see one. I could just hear them and see the reeds moving with the pack.

So my next thought is do I get down in the weeds with them even though I can't see and the water is a foot deep? Or do I parallel them on my side of the creek and keep waiting for my shot? Being impatient into the reeds I went. I got within 20 yards (guessing) of the snorting but still couldn't see anything. So I made my way up the opposite side of the creek hoping to get a little higher ground and maybe a shot or at least a glimpse of what was coming through. No such luck. I followed them down probably another 100 yards without even getting a glance at one. The disturbance of reeds and extremely loud snorting and squealing the whole way.

Then as I followed along the ridge line I noticed they kind of stopped. I waited a second hoping that they would soon be coming out my side where I would have an open shot. Then much to my dismay I noticed a line of jet black hogs exiting the water and heading into the wood line back on the opposite side of the creek. AGHHH@!@! I had just been over there 20 minutes ago. I counted 20 hogs come out of the water before I took off into the creek to give chase. They were all being so loud they didn't seem to move any faster or even notice my splashing my way around the 2 foot deep water with mud over my boots.

By the time I had gotten to the other side they had disappeared into the woods. I followed a wet and muddy trail for about 150 yards or so before I lost it. I didn't hear or see any of them again. Driving me crazy to know that I was within 30 yards of 20+ hogs and couldn't get one shot off. Saw another 10 doe or so as I moved around the woods afterwards. I will for sure be going back to Pecan Grove next time I get a chance.

Summary
                  I saw 20+ hogs on the south side of Pecan Grove, but never could close the distance to get a shot. It was extremely exciting and frustrating. I can't wait to go back.
                  Last edited by Neano; 11-28-2010, 01:20 PM.

Comment

GRXH?? any dates up yet?......cant wait

Comment

Just got back home from an afternoon hunt at grngr gate 6. I went in to about midway between l and Vl. I sat till about 5pm and then stalked further toward lV and then back. I didn't see anything. however, I did have a large group inside the reeds at around 10 yrds start snorting and squeelin at me. I crouched down on the other side of the path for a few but nothing. I'll be out first thing in the AM.

Comment

Good stalk Neano, keep at em youll get one! Its exciting when there that close aint it! You ought to come out for the Granger Ranger Xtreme hunt and meet us all. Ive been the last 3 years and I look forward to that weekend every year! Send me a PM with some contact info and if you ever want to get out ill see if I can join ya. NYbowman you do the same if you'd like. It always nice to meet new friends over some granger boars! Goodluck I should be out there in full swing by early Jan.

Comment

not that privilaged

Hey Texfirefighter, I tried to pm you but i'm new to the site and don't have the prvilage yet. maybe you can pm me.
                          Thanks

Comment

How do I become a "Granger Ranger" ? Do I need to be invited? Voted in?Know a secret hand shake or just show up at the Extreme Hunt????????????

Comment

Originally posted by bigsteve View Post
                              How do I become a "Granger Ranger" ? Do I need to be invited? Voted in?Know a secret hand shake or just show up at the Extreme Hunt????????????
                              you aren't Big Steve the bartender by any chance?

Comment

Nope not a bartender

Comment

Working...
                                X