So tired of "Charlie Horses"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So tired of "Charlie Horses"

I get these things in my calves all the time. Wake up in the morning, coming straight out of bed, trying my best to work them out as I'm on the verge of tears, barely able to talk through the pain when my wife asks if I'm ok.

My doc doesn't seem to care about them. I've reported their severity the last couple of check-up exams, and they just shrug their shoulders and say "Drink more water". If I drink anymore water, I'll be urinating so many times a night, I won't have time for sleeping! I'm already up enough as it is with the many glasses I've drank. A relative mentioned taking potassium supplements, so I did for a couple of months, and then the doc called and told me to knock that off because my potassium was spiked at my last physical, and that could cause internal organ damage.

Anyone else get these and have a solution? My right calf right now hurts so bad, I don't feel like doing anything today. But I know if I don't get up and walk around, it's going to be worse.

All the best,
    Glenn

sounds like your low in potassium. I work in the heat and I've found that drinking coconut water, and regular water helps me the best.

Comment

Eat bananas.

Comment

Eat foods high in magnesium, my wife has the same problem doc gave her magnesium oil, but told her she could get enough from food.

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
          I get these things in my calves all the time. Wake up in the morning, coming straight out of bed, trying my best to work them out as I'm on the verge of tears, barely able to talk through the pain when my wife asks if I'm ok.

My doc doesn't seem to care about them. I've reported their severity the last couple of check-up exams, and they just shrug their shoulders and say "Drink more water". If I drink anymore water, I'll be urinating so many times a night, I won't have time for sleeping! I'm already up enough as it is with the many glasses I've drank. A relative mentioned taking potassium supplements, so I did for a couple of months, and then the doc called and told me to knock that off because my potassium was spiked at my last physical, and that could cause internal organ damage.

Anyone else get these and have a solution? My right calf right now hurts so bad, I don't feel like doing anything today. But I know if I don't get up and walk around, it's going to be worse.

All the best,
          Glenn
          I have a real problem with them also. Only thing that cures it for me is a good multi vitamin. If I take it, no cramps, if I don't I start getting them again.
          My sister has same problem and her doctor told her. We both have fake knees and they got way worse after ...until I took vitamin.
          I hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by groundcheck View Post
            Eat bananas.
            yep

Comment

Pickle juice!

Comment

Originally posted by groundcheck View Post
                Eat bananas.

Agree.

Comment

x2 on pickle juice, 1/4 cup

Comment

x3 on pickle juice. My daughter is a trainer for football team. It works!

Comment

Usually you are lacking in some sort of electrolyte...potassium, magnesium or calcium are the most common culprits. Good news is you can take supplements to fix all of those...

Comment

As stated before, bananas and pickle juice. Pickle juice is almost magical in it's ability to stop cramps.

Comment

I work in the heat, and the two best things I use are bananas, and Advocare Rehydrate. The stuffs a little pricy but it works.

Comment

If you are on any kind of cholesterol medicine that will cause them.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                              As stated before, bananas and pickle juice. Pickle juice is almost magical in it's ability to stop cramps.
                              This.....

Comment

Working...
                              X