Fixed blade opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed blade opinions

My adult daughter has decided she wants to be a bow hunter. She went and bought a Hoyt Ignite, 40-50 lb. I don't know what arrows they sold her and she did not get broad heads yet. I'm assuming a 75-85 grain head would be best for her set up assuming she will be pulling low 40's on her poundage. What are all of the differing opinions. Thought about the 85 grain Slick Trick, but let's here the pro's and con's. Thanks

I suggest a good cut on contact, either ST Razor Tricks or Steel Force Phatheads would be good choices.

Comment

hard to go wrong with slick tricks, a two blade with or without bleeders is also a good way to go.Simmons land sharks are great heads, I am trying out the carbon express F-15s this year too, I shoot both without the bleeder blades

Comment

Razor tricks have worked great for my sister shooting 40lbs. She also shoots the Magnus 2 blade stingers with bleeder blades with great results.

Comment

Tracy (Arrowsmith's wife) mentioned how well the C.O.C. Slick Trick RazorTricks work with lower poundage bows

I'm pulling 60 and am shootin razortricks this year

Comment

Ok, good advice. Some of the "tricks" don't come in any thing less than 100 grains. Think that much weight will be ok?

Comment

My sister shoots 100gr razor trick with no problems.

Comment

Great, thanks Rattler. I'm assuming my daughter will be in the 40-42 lb. range by the opener.

Comment

Fixed blade opinions

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                  My adult daughter has decided she wants to be a bow hunter. She went and bought a Hoyt Ignite, 40-50 lb. I don't know what arrows they sold her and she did not get broad heads yet. I'm assuming a 75-85 grain head would be best for her set up assuming she will be pulling low 40's on her poundage. What are all of the differing opinions. Thought about the 85 grain Slick Trick, but let's here the pro's and con's. Thanks

100grain

Razor Trick
                  Viper Trick
                  Stinger
                  D.R.T.

Not necessarily in that order.

15 less grains won't help. And stay away from the short choppy blades like in the regular slick tricks. Not sayin they don't work. But a more laid back blade penetrates easier.
                  Last edited by JW; 08-18-2014, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                    Ok, good advice. Some of the "tricks" don't come in any thing less than 100 grains. Think that much weight will be ok?
                    She will get more kinetic with 100 grain and you wont see a difference in flight from an 85 grain head, under 25 yards. My daughter has had great success with magnus stingers

Comment

I would advise a heavier cut on contact for more penetration. DRT's seem to be a hit.

Comment

My daughter just shot a big black bear with a 25 in draw, 40# draw weight and FMJ. She shot a 100gr slick trick mag and passed through and landed a couple yards on the other side of the bear.
                        I think now a days we over think this too much. Bows are significantly more efficient now and have much more KE than years past. I would also mention a heavier arrow is better. The argument is ALWAYS wanting a flatter shooting arrow. Fair enough, but is she shooting at a distance where that would make a difference, i.e. 50-60 yds?
                        In regards to arrow and BH weight think about it like this: You have a buddy standing 10 yds from you and they have a ping pong ball and a golf ball. They rare back and throw it at you as hard as they can. You're going to be hit by one, which one would you rather get hit by. Everyone picks the faster moving pingpong ball because the slower heavier golfball will hit and drive into you. That's an over simplification of arrow weight but you get the picture.
                        Get het heavy arrows and 100gr heads and make sure she penetrates

Comment

Working...
                        X