Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Rusty Staub - former Houston Colt 45/Astro and Texas Ranger

sad day on the opening of baseball

Rusty Staub, the orange-haired outfielder who became a huge hit with baseball fans in two countries during an All-Star career that spanned 23 major league seasons, died Thursday. He was 73.

"We send our heartfelt condolences to the family, friends, former teammates and many fans of Rusty Staub, who sadly passed away this morning," the Astros said in a statement. "As a member of Colt .45s and Astros from 1963-68, Rusty was one of the first stars in the club's history and played a significant role in establishing the franchise in its early years. ... His contributions to the Astros organization and to Major League Baseball overall will always be remembered."

At the end of his distinguished career, Staub founded the New York Police and Fire Widows' and Children's Benefit Fund. The charity has raised tens of millions of dollars and provided additional support to families of first responders killed in the line of duty.

Following the 9/11 terrorist attacks in 2001, Mets players and coaches donated their entire salaries from their first game back, about $450,000, to Staub's foundation.

Staub also has helped serve up meals to thousands of hungry and homeless people at food pantries all over New York City through Catholic Charities, with funds from his annual golf tournament and wine auction dinner.

"Rusty helped children, the poor, the elderly, and then there was his pride and joy, The New York Police and Fire Widows' and Children's Benefit Fund," the Mets said.

Staub, Ty Cobb, Alex Rodriguez and Gary Sheffield are the lone players to homer in the majors before age 20 and after 40. He was inducted into the Texas Baseball Hall of Fame in 2006.

Staub grew up in New Orleans and attended Jesuit HS. When I was a kid, I remember my grandfather telling me baseball stories and how great of a person Rusty was.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...-staub-dies-73

edit - Waterdog beat me to it . RIP Le Grande Orange
    Last edited by Cajun Blake; 03-29-2018, 10:15 AM. Reason: see above

RIP Rusty Staub. He was one of guys I will always remember. Hard to believe he was 73. Seems like he was just playing yesterday.

Comment

R. I. P. Sir!

Comment

I remember as a kid watching him play at Colt 45 stadium. He hit a home run that my dad said was his first ever. Not sure if it was though. My dad was a big fan of his

Comment

Yup, he was a fan favorite. Did much good for many.

Comment

Dang, not that 73 is old but didnt realize he was that old. Remember watching him play as a kid. He was always one of the good guys.

Comment

Rest In Peace.

Comment

Staub was one of my very favorites when I was growing up. He played in the bigs from his teens to his early 40s. Revered guy.

Comment

RIP Rusty.

Comment

Working...
                  X