Working For your Father

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working For your Father

Here is my current situation, I have been working for City Government for about nine years now in the construction side. I have steadily made my way to the (somewhat) top of the food chain. Prior to this I was with a private contractor as a Field Engineer / Superintendent.

Well a few days ago my dad emails me a job posting for a management level position for the company he works for. This position would report directly to him. I asked him if he was hinting at something and his response was " Just letting you know that I posted this"

What are your thoughts on working for your father? Or if there are any fathers out there whose kids work for them, is there anything you would recommend?

all I can say is..."May the Schwartz be with you", lol

Comment

Originally posted by segbert View Post
      Here is my current situation, I have been working for City Government for about nine years now in the construction side. I have steadily made my way to the (somewhat) top of the food chain. Prior to this I was with a private contractor as a Field Engineer / Superintendent.

Well a few days ago my dad emails me a job posting for a management level position for the company he works for. This position would report directly to him. I asked him if he was hinting at something and his response was " Just letting you know that I posted this"

What are your thoughts on working for your father? Or if there are any fathers out there whose kids work for them, is there anything you would recommend?
      I'm assuming he checked company policy? Most companies I've worked for had a policy against having family supervise family. equal positions or different departments were fine, but direct supervision was prohibited

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

My opinion is:

it is not about working with your dad, it is what the other employees think about you getting the job and they did not.

Comment

I did for years and at times it's great and at times it's really rough.

Comment

Depends on you and your father's relationship. I work for my dad and love it. Have been working with him for almost 8 years now. There are times you have to agree to disagree but like I said it all depends on y'alls relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltgrass Mikerr View Post
              My opinion is:

it is not about working with your dad, it is what the other employees think about you getting the job and they did not.
              Who cares what other people think! I work with/for my dad in a sense but made my own way in doing so. Anyone who assumes I was handed anything either doesn't know much or is jealous when the monthly numbers come out.

Comment

Do it. Scott, you know dad and I's relationship well. Work stuff stays at work. Very rarely do we EVER talk about work. Hell, half the time at work we don't talk about work. If you get the job on merit don't worry about what ANYONE thinks or says. Bust your rear from day one and don't worry about anything else.

BrandonA has a similar situation and Im sure he will be you WAY more pro's than con's.

Comment

If daddy owned the place is the only way I would consider something like that.

Comment

I've worked for my Dad for a little over 10 years. It's his business which I'll buy him out of in a few years. So it's a little different situation than yours. Your current relationship will dictate how it goes.

My dad and I have always had a great relationship. But, we've had some very heated arguments and I've been fired and quite more times than I can count. Some families can work together, some cannot.

If you do get the position, others will look to you to prove yourself as they'll likely look at your hiring as pure nepotism. But, if you qualify for the position, believe you and your Dad can work together and believe you can do the job, go for it. I've thoroughly enjoyed working for/with my Dad.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                      If daddy owned the place is the only way I would consider something like that.
                      Yep

Comment

Only you will know whether or not it will work or not.
                        I love my Dad to death, but there is now way in hell I could work for him.
                        Good luck on your decision.

Comment

I work for my father right now and have for the last 9 years. Like has been said, some times it's great, other times not so much. My situation is a little different bc it is a family business, but I have passed on opportunities bc I didn't want to feel like I was quitting on my dad. Also, be ready to never get away from work at the holidays. Seems all we ever do now is talk shop at the dinner table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I ran my dads construction "side business" while I was in college, it wasn't always easy but we did ok. When I graduated and got ready to move it was definitely time for me to go. I love my dad and we have a great relationship but sometimes for personal growth you just have to move on. Sounds like you've already done that growing on your own and this may be a great opportunity to increase your salary.

Comment

I've worked with/for my dad for a lil over 10 years and I enjoy it. Growing up my dad and I didn't have the greatest relationship and if you knew us, you never would've guessed that we could work together, without killing each other lol. But when I started working with him, our relationship changed, for the, allot better lol. I feel that it has brought us closer together and we're more like best friends now. Only you know if you can do it or not. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Comment

Working...
                              X