.260 favorite powder / bullet combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
    H4350 was basically designed for 6.5 creedmoor and 260.

You have those in the wrong order Creedmoor wasn’t around when 4350 came out.

H4350 and the 139 scenars are the most accurate combo I’ve found.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

IMR 4350 or 4831 will work good, they are a little more sensitive to temp swings, but in a hunting rifle out to 250 yards you will probably never know the difference. If I was loading for a 260 now O would probably go with a 120 Nosler or similar bonded bullet and H4350. You should be able to push them 2900ish. Reloader 17 worked ok I got a little more velocity just not the accuracy I was looking for.

Comment

This guy shoots a 260. He starts talking about powder at the 7:50 mark.
        [ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t5bvOyfZS40"]Precision Rifle Load Development/ Part III: Powder, Primers, & Initial Charge Weight - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
          Thanks Mike. I was hoping you would chime in. I'll definitely start with the 140 GK's. I'm going to have to get some new powder though. I've got Reloader 22 and 25, but no 17, 19, or 26. With the 140 GK, would you lean towards the RL19, and use the RL17 for something like 120 grain bullets?

All the best,

Glenn

Honestly I would try 26. In QL it shows a lot of promise and it’s turning out better numbers in the 6.5 CM (gag) than H4350.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Tag

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
              This guy shoots a 260. He starts talking about powder at the 7:50 mark.

Precision Rifle Load Development/ Part III: Powder, Primers, & Initial Charge Weight - YouTube

Sam puts out some good videos.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Thanks all. Good recommendations for me to start with. I've wanted a .260 for so long, and finally have one. I'm looking forward to shooting it!
                All the best,
                Glenn

Comment

I've had great success with H4831sc in my two 260's. I'm only pushing a 140 smk around 2680 fps, but is insanely accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    Honestly I would try 26. In QL it shows a lot of promise and it’s turning out better numbers in the 6.5 CM (gag) than H4350.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                    I've started running it in my Creedmoor for the past couple of months. 47.1 grains are sending a 143 ELD-X out at just over 2800 fps from a 22" barrel. I'm anxious to see what it will do at distance next time.

Comment

I have never shot R26 in a Creedmoor but 47.1 sounds awfully high. I'm not trying to argue just making sure it is not a typo.

Comment

Never understood why everyone wants to bog the .260 down with heavy bullets for deer and hogs at 400 yards or less. 41.5-42 grains of Benchmark behind a 100 gr. Partition or TTSX is good for 3350 fps and will kill anything we have in these parts. As an added bonus it'll shoot way flatter in the 50-350 yard range where 99.9% of deer are killed.

Comment

It seemed high to me as well. But I've read guys loading up over 49 grains somehow. Berger's website lists RL26 for their 135 classic hunter. Starting load is 45.0 going up to 49.8 max. Their listed velocity for max load is 2977. That made me feel a little better when I was testing mine. This is for the Creedmoor though. Data is slightly lower for the 260 with that bullet and powder according to Berger. (Sorry Mike)

Comment

Originally posted by Rswan13 View Post
                            It seemed high to me as well. But I've read guys loading up over 49 grains somehow. Berger's website lists RL26 for their 135 classic hunter. Starting load is 45.0 going up to 49.8 max. Their listed velocity for max load is 2977. That made me feel a little better when I was testing mine. This is for the Creedmoor though. Data is slightly lower for the 260 with that bullet and powder according to Berger. (Sorry Mike)

Lol, no need to be sorry. I resize 308 Palma to 260 to take advantage of small primers too. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              Lol, no need to be sorry. I resize 308 Palma to 260 to take advantage of small primers too. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wish I had snapped to this for my 260AI brass but I now have 200 Lapua cases fully prepped and neck turned that I wish were sm primer....

Comment

RL 26 will get you 150fps more than any other powder. I'm under sami spec at 2861fps in my 22" 6.5cm

Comment

Working...
                                X