Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Draw hunts, what are y'all putting in for and did you draw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
    Coming from a Texan who loves hunting the west, I'm surprised that you even bother with Texas.

Maybe I shouldn’t...ha! I still get a couple hunts a year in out west so the Texas draws would just be a bonus if I ever drew one.

Comment

Originally posted by txfrog View Post
      Maybe I shouldn’t...ha! I still get a couple hunts a year in out west so the Texas draws would just be a bonus if I ever drew one.
      1 for 25 this year including the youth divisions.
      And the one I drew was a gator hunt that was cancelled due to the hurricane. So it's really 0 for 25. I was drawn last in 2014 I believe and that was an archery whitetail hunt

Edit- 0 for 26. I didn't get a doe tag for the forest either..been a few years on that one as well. Next year's my year
      Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 10-17-2017, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by txfrog View Post
        The odds might be abysmal but Texas is a really cheap date when it comes to entry in the draw. (perhaps that's why the odds are so bad).

Comment

Originally posted by mhunter6 View Post
          The odds might be abysmal but Texas is a really cheap date when it comes to entry in the draw. (perhaps that's why the odds are so bad).

You’re definitely right there. Much cheaper than most states so putting in for 20-30 hunts isn’t unreasonable

Comment

Bow or gun? The bow hunt is my go to hunt first time ever I can't go. I thought they canceled the bow hunt. Hunt right of ways where they enter big open flats, always have had successful hunt. Maybe not bucks but deer and thats all I want. Aransas WR
            Last edited by Saddle Tramp; 10-17-2017, 07:13 PM. Reason: Left out where

Comment

I drew 1 of the 10 exotic archery hunt permits at Garner SP from 12/4 - 12/8. I was pretty excited until I searched Garner on TBH and read the reviews from years past. Other than the unusually strict rules, the relatively low success rate, and the commercial hunters that were contracted to wipe out the axis herd, it sounds like a great exotic hunt, lol.

I’ve never been to Garner SP, so at least it might be a fun camping trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermin93 View Post
                I drew 1 of the 10 exotic archery hunt permits at Garner SP from 12/4 - 12/8. I was pretty excited until I searched Garner on TBH and read the reviews from years past. Other than the unusually strict rules, the relatively low success rate, and the commercial hunters that were contracted to wipe out the axis herd, it sounds like a great exotic hunt, lol.

I’ve never been to Garner SP, so at least it might be a fun camping trip.
                It is still better odds then when I hunted Exotic-Archery at Kerr WMA in 2006. No one killed anything the year before, the year of our hunt, and the year after. At least there was a 14% success rate last year for Garner Archery Exotic.

Congratulations and good luck!

Comment

Went 1 for 11 this year... It was a good one! GDE at Matador!

Comment

So 2nd draw is around 10 days after the first draw....when was the first draw? I'm pending on 5 hunts still. Just curious when the second draw is. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                      So 2nd draw is around 10 days after the first draw....when was the first draw? I'm pending on 5 hunts still. Just curious when the second draw is. Thanks
                      around October 16.

Comment

My partner and I didn't draw a thing. Our daughters on the other hand drew the following this year.

Youth Antlerless/Spike at Chaparral (1 doe or spike and 1 javalina)
                        Youth Management at Jim Daughtrey (1 doe and 1 buck with 8 or less points and a spread greater than 12")
                        Youth Either Sex at Colorado Bend (3 deer either sex)

My daughter was drawn for the antlerless hunt at Chaparral last year too. I wish I had half their luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Slow&Steady View Post
                          My partner and I didn't draw a thing. Our daughters on the other hand drew the following this year.

Youth Antlerless/Spike at Chaparral (1 doe or spike and 1 javalina)
                          Youth Management at Jim Daughtrey (1 doe and 1 buck with 8 or less points and a spread greater than 12")
                          Youth Either Sex at Colorado Bend (3 deer either sex)

My daughter was drawn for the antlerless hunt at Chaparral last year too. I wish I had half their luck.

Saw some really good 8 points on youth hunt at James Daughtrey last year. That hunt could very easily turn in to more than a "management" hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just won the Big Time Texas Hog hunt on TPWD! Bought one entry on last day

Comment

Originally posted by alien77721 View Post
                              I just won the Big Time Texas Hog hunt on TPWD! Bought one entry on last day

Curious, on the big time hunts, how do they inform you? That's awesome and congrats btw!!

Comment

I got a call from a gentleman named Kelly from the TPWD. He asked if I was still interested. DUH! Sending me all of the info.

Originally posted by mhunter6 View Post
                                Curious, on the big time hunts, how do they inform you? That's awesome and congrats btw!!

Comment

Working...
                                X