AR Fixed Sight Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR Fixed Sight Help

I tried removing the fixed sight from my AR today but could not get the pins out. I beat on them with a punch for a while and now I think the pin is mushroomed. Any ideas how to get them out? Maybe just take it to a gunsmith now?

I assume you are talking about the front sight on a AR. They are adjustable for elevation. Yes, the pins are not easy to get out, you need the sight very well supported, then a good pin punch and a ballpeen hammer. It will come out, but it will take some force, it really helps if the sight and barrel do not move, when you hammer on the punch.

Comment

Buy the block from Brownells to support. Make sure you are using the right tools for the job. It has been a while but those pins may be chamfered on one end and flat on the other, punch the right way. If all else fails heat and a bigger hammer will do it. Have fun!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

I think they do only go one direction. Tape the barrel off well, steady hand with a dremel and cut toward the pins is another option. Order a gas block. Same end result and should be way cheaper and faster than a smith.

If you just need the sight gone cut it off and grind the area down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
          I think they do only go one direction. Tape the barrel off well, steady hand with a dremel and cut toward the pins is another option. Order a gas block. Same end result and should be way cheaper and faster than a smith.

If you just need the sight gone cut it off and grind the area down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          This

Comment

Working...
          X