Changing gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing gears

Well the focus the last few months has been on filling deer tags. A few pigs added some variety to to the hunts and a few good camp meals as well.
    I was left with an unfilled buck tag which doesn't happen often but was more of a management choice then lack of opportunities.
    Now I know many of us, including myself, will be changing up practice routines and getting ready to travel around to some 3D shoots. During deer season I focused my practicing on 15 yards and in. Lists of seated shooting and most shots at 12 yards. That's the range I limited myself to and it seemed to work well for game shots this year.
    Now I will still be doing some pig hunting but will be working more on the shots we will see on the TBOT shoots. I've seen a couple really long shots on big targets and some really close shots on small targets. Most shots however seem to stay in the 15 to 25 yard range.
    So I just wanted to see if y'all would talk about what you are doing or going to do to get ready to shoot these 30 to 40 target matches. Some will be shooting multiple rounds at every shoot and if you include practicingat the shoot that's a lot of arrows down range in a day. What your practice routines are and how you approach them to help with your readiness for this spring and summer season.

Gary

Like you, during deer season I practice like I hunt - seated with shots from 12-18 yards or so. Now, I try to practice in a way that more closely mimics a 3D shoot. Unless I am working on some element of form I don’t stand there and pound arrows. I move around the backyard and never take two shots from the same spot/distance. I will find angles where I have to shoot between trees/bushes that mess with depth perception. My biggest challenge over a 30 target course is maintaining proper concentration the whole way through. To help with this I slow down and make sure to go through my pre-shot routine every single time. This time of year it is hard to get in enough shooting during the week. If nothing else I at least do some blank bale shooting in the garage to keep form sharp and bow muscles toned
    Last edited by jerp; 01-21-2019, 09:13 AM.

Comment

I did the same thing Gary. Focused all season on under 15 yards. Shot a few arrows at 20+ last week but need to start gearing up for longer shots. I hunt with a different bow than I do for the 3D shoots. My hunting bow as a plastic stick on rest. I put a feather rest on my 3D bow so it will be TBOT legal. Shot off the shelf with it in the past but so far I like the feather rest.

Comment

Good stuff jerp. I have a tendency to shoot a whole end at each distance each time. Moving each shot distance and angle makes good sense.

Gary

Comment

I pretty much shoot the same year round I guess. Most of my shooting is at 12-15 yards. I try to shoot a dozen arrows a day or so at 30 and 20. But really the reason for that is practicing long shots makes the short ones easier for me normally. If I shoot too much at 30 though I'll have a tendency to shoot a little high when I move back up.

Comment

Working...
          X