Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Prayer and the Chain Saw

The Prayer and the Chain Saw

I respect my Aunt Gladys’s intrepid spirit, even if that very spirit concerns me sometimes. The source of my concern came in the form of news she shared in an email: “I cut down a walnut tree yesterday.”
    You must understand that my chainsaw-wielding aunt is seventy-six years old! The tree had grown up behind her garage. When the roots threatened to burst through the concrete, she knew it had to go. But she did tell us, “I always pray before I tackle a job like that.”
    While serving as butler to the king of Persia during the time of Israel’s exile, Nehemiah heard news concerning the people who had returned to Jerusalem. Some work needed to be done. “The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its gates have been burned with fire” (Nehemiah 1:3). The broken walls left them vulnerable to attack by enemies. Nehemiah had compassion for his people and wanted to get involved. But prayer came first, especially since a new king had written a letter to stop the building efforts in Jerusalem (see Ezra 4). Nehemiah prayed for his people (Nehemiah 1:5-10), and then asked God for help before requesting permission from the king to leave (v. 11).
    Is prayer your response? It’s always the best way to face any task or trial in life.
    By Linda Washington
    REFLECT & PRAY
    Make prayer a first priority, instead of a last resort.
    Father, Your Holy Spirit reminds us to pray first. Today, we commit to doing so as Your Spirit prompts us.
    Our Daily Bread

Good word. We cannot live a life with God if we are not constantly talking to him. Whether I am hurting, praising him, or just need some comfort I take a second to breathe and just talk to Him.

Comment

Good stuff

Comment

Every day.

Comment

Spot on how that works

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes sir.