• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few pics
    Attached Files

Comment

Bay boat shopping rant

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      I got that boat quoted 2 years ago when the 20 cat first came out and the 150 of my choice was 39K plus TTL. I still have the quote somewhere in my email.

That price was off the price sheet from Waypoint Marine. It ranges from $40-43k depending on which brand of motor.

I dont think it even included coolers.
      Last edited by panhandlehunter; 08-09-2018, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Bay Boats are EXPENSIVE!!!

Comment

One reason is because the engines are so darn expensive. We re-powered our shoalwater at the end of last year and by the time it was all said it down the new Etech G2 was almost 30K.

Comment

Yep want a shock to your system check out current boat prices, not familiar with the saltwater segment but from what I hear bass boats are still selling like hotcakes.

Comment

I just bought this one 38k, d/o, 41k; used 2016, and financed it for 15 years at 6.5%, everybody said just go 15 years to keep your payment low, I got my first payment and it was 80% interest, I called them and they said it will go down. Got the second payment 79% interest. I never thought the interest would be that much. I went and refinanced it here at a local credit union for 4.25 for 5 years, My payment went up but at least I feel like I can stay ahead.

Nobody can justify a Truck, Boat, deer hunting, fishing, or just about any hobby...I work with guys that work 60-70 hours a week and they give me a hard time for losing money to go spend money to go fish or hunt, you just have to find that balance, that makes you happy.
              Attached Files

Comment

Boats are high, especially if you are buying to impress. There are a lot of boats out there that are very capable of most anybody's fishing. A buddy of mine has a 20' express cc with the hyperlift hull, bought 1 yes old in like new condition for 20k. It doesn't ride as comfortable as a haynie but if the waves are bad enough to keep you home in it, a haynie wouldn't be much fun either. (I'm using haynie because they are BA). Very comfortable boat for 1/3 the price of the others.

On an even lesser note, I rebuilt a 1984 16' duracraft, with a little bit of custom work, and I fish 2-3 days a week, which I would bet is quite a bit more than most people and have yet to find a day that I couldn't go in my boat and catch fish due to the weather. I might not be able to go exactly where I want, but I can go somewhere. I have about $6200 tied up in mine.

I only brought this up to say that fishing out of a nice boat is very affordable if you aren't trying to impress the others on the water.

A little funny story. The other day I was at the fish cleaning table at Stingaree cleaning a pretty impressive stringer, when a 70k+ SCB pulled up, (3 Late teens early 20's) one of the kids in the boat nudged his buddy pointing at my little tub sitting there and snickering. Once they saw me and we started talking, they couldn't get a bite all morning. They wanted to know where I found all these fish. I sent them about 8 miles down the intracoastal in the opposite direction. That high dollar boat didn't help them catch any that day.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

boats $$

free market at work. don't like the price, don't pay it. they happen to be taxed at the luxury rate, b/c you don't have to have one.

that said, since 1995 I used to get a NEW fiberglass high end boat every 1-4 years. my two boats now are 2007 and 2009 models...

Comment

Dont buy a boat, stay off the water, please! We dont need anymore out there...LOL!
                    Buy used.. only way to go.

Comment

There's a nice 2017 Shoalwater 23 for sale on 2cool, 250 SHO on it.

Comment

I’m thinking about selling my 03 Ranger Bay 2300, 225 Yamaha 4 stroke, oxygen system I pilot and 10’ power pole. I hate to sell because the boat is in great shape and I know what it would cost to replace it. Just haven’t used it as much this year, oh well maybe next year.

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                          Boats are high, especially if you are buying to impress. There are a lot of boats out there that are very capable of most anybody's fishing. A buddy of mine has a 20' express cc with the hyperlift hull, bought 1 yes old in like new condition for 20k. It doesn't ride as comfortable as a haynie but if the waves are bad enough to keep you home in it, a haynie wouldn't be much fun either. (I'm using haynie because they are BA). Very comfortable boat for 1/3 the price of the others.

On an even lesser note, I rebuilt a 1984 16' duracraft, with a little bit of custom work, and I fish 2-3 days a week, which I would bet is quite a bit more than most people and have yet to find a day that I couldn't go in my boat and catch fish due to the weather. I might not be able to go exactly where I want, but I can go somewhere. I have about $6200 tied up in mine.

I only brought this up to say that fishing out of a nice boat is very affordable if you aren't trying to impress the others on the water.

A little funny story. The other day I was at the fish cleaning table at Stingaree cleaning a pretty impressive stringer, when a 70k+ SCB pulled up, (3 Late teens early 20's) one of the kids in the boat nudged his buddy pointing at my little tub sitting there and snickering. Once they saw me and we started talking, they couldn't get a bite all morning. They wanted to know where I found all these fish. I sent them about 8 miles down the intracoastal in the opposite direction. That high dollar boat didn't help them catch any that day.

That’s not very nice of you to send those young men in the wrong direction.

Comment

I looked for a few years and just shook (still do) my head at new prices. EVERYTHING is going way up in price! I purchased another truck a few months back and they cost more than my house did. Found a good deal on a used Majek here in the classifieds last month and couldn’t pass it up. Had I bought it new and had it rigged out the way it is would have ran me over $40k! For a 16’ boat mind you, crazy!

Don’t even get me started on RV’s. We will be trading our “old” 2017 bumper pull in on a 5th wheel late this year or early next. Trying to get all the toys and have them paid for before I retire [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=CaptainDave;13538175]Affordable used boats are out there. Many of the new custom boats are tricked out, are high powered and in turn are crazy expensive.

A lot of it has to do with power. 20 years ago, 21' bay boats came standard with a 150 HP motor and that was considered a nice rig. Now it seems same boat needs a 250 to go over 60, dual power poles, LED lighting, stereo system, etc.

If you are looking to save a bit, find an older reliable hull with newer power. Or perhaps one with older power and you can just repower when necessary. Like the 3 boats below, all are under $20K, two of them are under $14K.

This is what I did. I found a 2003 Pathfinder 22ft with a 150 yamaha 4 stroke, 2008 model with 210 hours. I paid 19500. Love the boat and thought it was worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by redfishted View Post
                                That’s not very nice of you to send those young men in the wrong direction.
                                Wasn't real nice pointing at my boat snickering either. I guess neither of us are real nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X