Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I put a lien on a piece of property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I put a lien on a piece of property?

Long story short, a builder is trying to cheat subs out of payment.

How do I go about putting a lien on the property before the house gets closed?

I've had to do this. You will have to file it with the county. You may have to send a intent to lien letter first. Notifiying the the property owner that if debts aren't cleared you will lien.

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
      Long story short, a builder is trying to cheat subs out of payment.

How do I go about putting a lien on the property before the house gets closed?
      I would call a lawyer to do it, not that expensive and if you do not do it correctly you could lose your lien rights.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
        I would call a lawyer to do it, not that expensive and if you do not do it correctly you could lose your lien rights.
        This. There are many requirements and timelines you must get right and if you mess up any of them you will not be able to perfect your lien.

Comment

Lawyer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Just for the record, it is illegal to repo your materials even if you havn't been payed for them....or so I've heard...

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
              Lawyer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              This. And you can start googling "mechanics and materialmens' liens in Texas" if you want a head start.

Comment

And in a timely fashion.

We've only had to file one. Still haven't been paid. My cabinets are advertised on his facebook page and it ****** me off to no end.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  Just for the record, it is illegal to repo your materials even if you havn't been payed for them....or so I've heard...
                  LOL, are you speaking from experience ? You have to admit, when you show up with a jackhammer it does get their attention, or so I am told.

Comment

Get a lawyer, that’s what they’re paid to do.

Comment

LOL, are you speaking from experience ? You have to admit, when you show up with a jackhammer it does get their attention, or so I am told.
                      I have been known to show up with a chainsaw when I used to build decks and a check would bounce.

Comment

Actually, brick still packaged in the front yard...repo'able. It REALLY ****** off the homeowner though.

Fireplace installed in the house...NOT repo'able in the daylight.

Comment

Originally posted by The Crippler View Post
                          This. There are many requirements and timelines you must get right and if you mess up any of them you will not be able to perfect your lien.

^^^
                          This!

Comment

Working...
                          X