No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best thread ever! Glad you found him! Look forward to the details...

Comment

congrats

Comment

Waiting on the pics.........

Comment

up.

Been silently following this thread for a while. One of the best on TBH in a looong time. Congrats to both of you guys on a buck of a lifetime and cant wait to see LDPs.

Comment

Way to go Rusty!!!!!!

Beautiful animal brother!!

Comment

We need some LDP's

Comment

Once again thanks to all for your interest and support. Frankly didn't expect this much interest about a farm in rural La.

Or maybe it's the deer?

First some background. Gorgeous was a 5 yr old that made roughly a 30" jump from 4 to 5. He grew his incredible rack on a diet primarily of Durana clover and our pellets. Small grains were available fall thru winter. I watched him numerous times during the summer and in velvet he was breathtaking. As mentioned he lived right on the boundary of our two farms. While he was a 5 yr old frankly I believe him to be the result of decades of mgt.

He was a home grown native deer resulting from a program based on nutrition. No genetic inputs of any kind ever.

We were able to start hunting him with a rifle early Oct. thanks to a program by the La. Wildlife and Fisheries called DMAP. I suspect it is like programs in Tx. that give landowners flexibility in managing their deer as well as assistance in monitoring the herd.

I've posted earlier that unfortunately the hunt didn't go as hoped . Big bucks can get people jiggered up!After several days of walking countless miles including bringing dogs in on 2 occasions by pure luck he was stumbled upon. While we weren't able to get the celebratory photo of neighbor and friend with the result of many years of discipline and focus. We at least got the artifact to enjoy for years to come.

He had 29" main beams, nearly 45" of mass and net books both as a typical and nontypical. His left side alone was a bit over 106". He will not be entered in any contests or any books.Thats not our gig. But here are a few pictures to enjoy and I hope you appreciate him as much as we do.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by elgato; 10-21-2014, 07:28 PM.

Comment

What a deer

I'm assuming he was found dead? How far from where yall last looked?

Comment

So glad y'all found him. Congrats!

Comment

Wow. That is an amazing rack. Congrats and glad you got to finally hold him.

Comment

Sweetness!!!!!

What a buck!

Comment

How far did he travel and could you tell where he had been hit. Between that buck and BMF everyone else is chasing a dream.

Comment

Glad yall found him. He's a biggun

Comment

What an awesome buck!!!

Comment

In no way am I second guessing yall, but why 5.5, and not 6.5 or 7.5? Is it purely a need to take deer off to keep an optimal herd or is it because he was truly to "Gorgeous" to pass up?

Comment

Working...
                                X