Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford F150 Ecoboost 4x4? Talk me out of it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
    Dang it Mike. Ok with the 3.5 or 2.7?

Towing package?

3.55 rear end?

I may have missed it but how much will you be towing and how often?

I’m not up to speed on the specific ratios available but with a 10 speed transmission available I would lean toward the lowest ratio available if you are towing heavy’ish and often.

Get the 3.5. The 2.7 is a surprising overachiever but when hooked to weight the 3.5 is king.

One other thing, if you are used to driving a diesel with the low end torque you’ll likely be disappointed with having to rev the 5.0 to 4,000 rpm plus to climb hills when towing. The Ecoboost has a lot of low end torque and feels almost diesel like to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Mike D; 12-07-2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

As a CDL driver for the last 20 years I will say this. You always want more than you need to pull something. Its not just pulling it down the road and getting good mpg's in good conditions. Its when things go south you notice. Wind, flat tires, etc. Unfortunately, we live in a time when people want "just enough". Its always better to have more than enough.

Comment

I have a 2018 4X4 with the 5.0 V8 and get 17-18 all day long, city driving. I have a lead foot as well.

I hear of issues with the Eco-Boost timing chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
          I have a 2018 4X4 with the 5.0 V8 and get 17-18 all day long, city driving. I have a lead foot as well.

I hear of issues with the Eco-Boost timing chain.
          Hand calculated or computer calculated?

Comment

Haven’t reset one of the readings since the beginning. It’s reading 18.3 mpg. Factory wheels/tires.
            Last edited by Greenheadless; 12-07-2019, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by W-O View Post
              I drive a 14 F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost and max tow package, 7 lug axle, for work. It gets 18 mpg average with mainly highway miles and has had nothing done to it with 141,00 miles. It pulls a 100 Kw generator with a full fuel tank no problem and has plenty of power to get out into traffic towing. Towing the mileage drops down to 13-14 which matches my 05 GMC 2500 with a 6.0 empty. As someone mentioned the whirling of the turbo is annoying, and there is a hesitation if you try to punch it like a normal motor. A smooth push on the accelerator allowing the turbos to kick in gives a smooth quick acceleration.

With the seven lug rear axle is that the max payload package with 3.73 gears?

Comment

This. Eco has so much more torque.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Stalker View Post
                  Is the oil pan accessible from underneath the truck to replace or is it like my f250 where you have to take the cab off and pull the motor?

It’s accessible from underneath.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    I may have missed it but how much will you be towing and how often?

I’m not up to speed on the specific ratios available but with a 10 speed transmission available I would lean toward the lowest ratio available if you are towing heavy’ish and often.

Get the 3.5. The 2.7 is a surprising overachiever but when hooked to weight the 3.5 is king.

One other thing, if you are used to driving a diesel with the low end torque you’ll likely be disappointed with having to rev the 5.0 to 4,000 rpm plus to climb hills when towing. The Ecoboost has a lot of low end torque and feels almost diesel like to me.

Bring this back to life.

I found a trailer we like. It is 31 ft and 6840 dry weight. Probably pull it 10-12 times a year.

So sounds like the 3.7 with max towing package is what I should learn to.

Comment

Ive owned 3 of the F150 V8 5.0 and have had no issues and they drive great and pull a 21' bass boat great. I didn't want to have to get a juiced up V6 with turbo to get on the same playing field as the V8. Had several friends with turbo issues on them so i always steered clear. Not to mention that whole "eco friendly" waaaay better gas mileage is a crock of **** lol. Seen it first hand.

NOW, that said, know plenty of people that have the Ecoboost and no issues and like them. If it was an absolute deal i couldn't refuse, i might throw the dice but it would have to be ridiculous enticing. To each their own, im just old school.

Comment

I totaled my truck 2013 F-150 the week before thanksgiving, picked up a 2019 F-150 to replace it. I have the 3.5L, Max Tow, 4x4 w/ locking rear diff. I love the truck. It has some serious power. Hopefully it lasts as long the 2013 did.

Comment

I have a '19 2.7 eco and I get 21 stop and go highway traffic. It's not a 4x4 though. Backseats are huge and they fold up flat against the back and no floor hump. Can fit a lot of stuff in the back seat.

Comment

I have a 2010 and I love it.

Comment

I had one with the 3.5 and it was a beast but got horrible gas mileage. Like maybe 14 on a road trip if I watched what I was doing. Now I have one with the 5.0 and have no complaints with power and it gets 18.5 mpg easily. I switched to the 5.0 after hearing horror stories with the EB but you can get a bad one in either motor I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                                Do it. We have had my wife's '18 Expy 4wd with the 3.5L EcoBoost and absolutely love it. We just got back from a 1000 mile round trip over Thanksgiving,.much of it traveling 80 mph and averaged 20 7 mpg based on the trip. Actual mpg during the week in Houston traffic has been 18.5 mpg.

This is with the 10-spd transmission, so not sure of the '18 F150 had that feature or not.
                                Yes^^My '18 is a 5L and it's got all 10 shifts...love the truck...came from a '16 f250 diesel...it's like driving a car now...the 4X4 system on it is slick...drove through Riudoso last year during Christmas when we got snowed in up in the mountains, that truck earned my money just driving round on snowy and icy roads like a pro!!

Comment

Working...
                                X