blackwidow or redback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blackwidow or redback?

We were shutting up the ducks and the chickens and found this in their feeder.....! So, my son thought it might be a redback, but after viewing the photos is it a blackwidow? BTW....It was the biggest one I've seen to date and these aren't great photos, just quickly snapped and hard to capture because of lighting.

i say redback, blackwidow has a perfect hourglass not the line looking red

Comment

Im with red back too... Either way not a very good spider to have around! I hope after the pics it got the swat!

Comment

redback

Comment

Its got the hour glass on the belly thats where its suppose to be I thought?

I say treat it like a black widow weather it is or not!

Comment

I was under the impression that Redback Spiders are Australian . To me, the picture above looks like a Southern Black Widow (Latrodectus mactans Fabricius). When they are young they can have red stripes across their back, as they molt the red fades and the hour glass appears.

Comment

Are redbacks poisonous as well?

Comment

I am under the impression that both are poisonous....
                Last edited by Coach W; 06-18-2011, 09:19 AM.

Comment

It would look like a dead spider if I would have found it just saying.

Comment

That is for sure a black widow. There are several sub species and age classes that vary the color markings. Any with the glossy texture and marble shape should be assumed dangerous. The red back is an Australian species of black widow and is just as deadly.

Comment

Originally posted by newj View Post
                      That is for sure a black widow. There are several sub species and age classes that vary the color markings. Any with the glossy texture and marble shape should be assumed dangerous. The red back is an Australian species of black widow and is just as deadly.
                      This...

Comment

Nice photo!!!

Comment

Here is a pic I took of a black widow in Alabama.......

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

It's a black widow. Just a color variation

Comment

I don't know, but looks close enough to black widow for me.

Was laying tile yesterday and noticed a small male black widow crawling on the floor towards my last tile. Before I set the tile in hand down, he scurried under the set tile into the thin set....

Guess I don't have to worry about him anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X