Tree stands and Trad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree stands and Trad

I'm currently hunting out of a 15 ft. ladder stand but I'm thinking about getting a hanging tree stand and getting a little higher up after getting winded quite a few times so far this year.

What are the pros and cons of this set up? How many of you guys are using this set up and how high are yall setting them up at?

15 feet is a decent height , i prefer about 18-22 feet to the floor of my stand for obvious reasons, scent, deer that like to look up ,etc..! if your getting winded at 15 regularly , maybe move your stand to the opposing corner of where it is now, the deer maybe funneling directly downwind of your current location....I grew up in southern ohio hunting corn and bean fields and my stands were always 22 feet up just inside the woods edge over looking travel routes. The higher the better imo !! If you do elevate yourself, i would highly recommend shooting a buck decoy target from your new hieght , so you know exactly what your arrow flight will be before you ldp a big boy!
    Last edited by RACK; 11-02-2012, 07:51 AM.

Comment

I doubt a few feet will change if you get winded. That being said, I think the tendancy is to shoot high when elevated, and the higher up the more this happens.

Even with a perfect shot, the higher up you go, the smaller the chance of getting both lungs, and your margin of error gets smaller.

The pro would be, out of sight and can get away with more movement and maybe a better view.

Back on the negative, more risk with falling, wear a belt or harness. It's more of a hassle to move tree stands than it is for ladders or tri-pods. IMO

Comment

I've hunter out of ladder stands and tripods, but my preferred method is from a box blind designed for the longbow. This allows some movement without detection and some scent containment.
        The down side is portability and only being able to hunt a set up when the wind is right, but the wind should be addressed anytime you hunt.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. Lots I did not think about there. I really dont want to add more margin of error to my shooting. How bout the double bull pop up blinds? Are they pretty good at holding scent in a little?

Comment

I am old, lazy, and fat (although not as fat as I use to be). I love ground blinds. Great angle to shoot, you can read a book or TBH, get a drink, etc

They will contain some scent, but if the deer is down wind, you will get winded most times. You just can't fool a deer's nose. Hunting the right wind, is the only fool proof method.

If you have not used pop ups before, there is a bit of technique and things to think about as well. Been a few threads on that through the years.

I would normally say, hunt whatever gives you the best chance for the spot you want to hunt. Some places lend themselves to treestands while other only ground blind will work.

If your main problem is being winded.....hunt stands with a good wind. Perhaps have a couple of stands to choose from.

Comment

I hunt 16FT UP I use sent control, sent free soap, my clothes are washed in sent free soap and I spray sent free on my clothes before I go to the stand. I have been busted a few times but it was in gusting wind.

Comment

Just ditch the stand and get out of that back pasture and into the woods and hunt game trails like your favorite bro-in-law

Comment

I was trying to figure out what I wanted to type for a response and then I read Chunky's posts. Not much to add to them so I won't!

Bisch
                  Last edited by Bisch; 11-06-2012, 08:43 PM.

Comment

I would highly recommend the use of cover scent. I have not been blown at since I adopted dracos technique. I guess I should add that I hunt from either a hang on or ladder. Typically in the 15' range.

Comment

I would say if you're getting winded at 15 feet in the air, then your elevation isn't the problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X