Hunting Bike In Progress... need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Bike In Progress... need advice

So I'm working on this MTB for South Texas. My family has a small ranch and we don't like driving around if we can help it - spooks the game and so forth. But the place is just large enough to make hiking it a chore. So here's my idea: a mountain bike, camouflaged, with thorn-proof tires.

Any ideas on how to mount a scoped rifle to this? I was thinking of strapping a scabbard to the rear rack but that might make dismounting difficult. Or... making some brackets to hold the rifle alongside the top tube? Any ideas?

I'm waiting on the no-flat solid rubber tires to arrive via UPS, but here's a photo of the current phase.

Here's a before picture. 1988 Peugeot made in Canada. I have $70 in it... rack, basket, tuned cables... and now about $8 worth of spray paint.

Comment

Makes sure you put an orange flag pole on it because you're going to lose it parked out in the middle of nowhere. I had trouble seeing that on my phone!!! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by cphlandman View Post
        Makes sure you put an orange flag pole on it because you're going to lose it parked out in the middle of nowhere. I had trouble seeing that on my phone!!! Lol
        Ha! Thanks, that was the idea. That Rustoleum ultra-flat camo paint is great stuff if you remember to do your prep work. It will be a little easier to spot when it's got tires on it again.

Comment

I walked into Archery Country in Austin about two months ago. They had a super duper mountain bike for hunting. I believe it had a mount for a rifle. Drive over to them and see if it's still there.

Also, what about getting those rifle claw things that go on ATV's. Would it be too cumbersome to mount them to the handlebars? (Maybe not a good idea).

Comment

ATV gun boot, off to the rear side

Comment

Originally posted by TxsBuda View Post
              I walked into Archery Country in Austin about two months ago. They had a super duper mountain bike for hunting. I believe it had a mount for a rifle. Drive over to them and see if it's still there.

Also, what about getting those rifle claw things that go on ATV's. Would it be too cumbersome to mount them to the handlebars? (Maybe not a good idea).
              Good idea. I owe them a visit anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                ATV gun boot, off to the rear side
                That might work but it looks like it would make access a little slow. I DO like this idea for my motorcycle though.

Comment

I like the ATV handlebar mounts. I think I'm going to give that a try. Thanks for the input guys. I'll update this thread as I make progress. I need to find a little more cargo room and get this rifle mount situation figured out but the bike should be ready by bow season.

Comment

I installed mine on the handle bars. It will hold a bow or gun. I bought the ATV style from the hunting show. I can try to get pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by cwbow View Post
                      I installed mine on the handle bars. It will hold a bow or gun. I bought the ATV style from the hunting show. I can try to get pictures.
                      If you could hook it up with pics that would be great. I'm wondering if I can DIY some mounts out of flat barstock or if it's worth spending the coin for factory production.

Comment

Mount a scabberd vertically from the center bar.

Comment

I put ATV bar mounts on my bike to carry my bow but even then on the terrain I ride my bow was vibrating too much for my like. i ended up getting a primos sling and it works much better. Not sure how far you are riding but a rifle sling may be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Toddcaster View Post
                            I put ATV bar mounts on my bike to carry my bow but even then on the terrain I ride my bow was vibrating too much for my like.
                            Yeah, after doing more research this will be a problem. The solid-rubber tires will eliminate flats but they apparently ruin the ride quality. I don't need my rifle bouncing out on me.

Comment

They make gun mounts for the handlebars. Works pretty slick.

Comment

Working...
                              X