After 2 years, first BOW BUCK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After 2 years, first BOW BUCK!

I've spent the last 2 years waiting on a buck that I would want hanging on my wall to come in to a blind, and it finally happened!
    For some reason, I had decided that I would not kill a deer with a bow unless it was a buck and I would mount him without being embarrassed by him, but after several mornings of getting in a dang tent blind when it was <30 degrees last season, I changed my mind and of course never saw another deer! This year, I’ve again hunted every chance I got, with the mounter back on my mind.

A couple of weeks ago I had a nice tall 9 come in and I shot low.
    Last week, nothing came in except a couple of does and due to the moon, all the bucks seemed to be feeding in the middle of the night.
    So last night I decided that I would kill a doe and get the monkey off my back!

About 20 minutes after the feeder went off 5 deer came in, like they were late for dinner or something!
    One was a nice plump doe without any kids in sight, so I picked up my bow and was getting ready when I caught movement to my right.
    I picked up my binoculars to check it out; sure enough it was a buck coming in.
    I watched him through the mesquite and finally got a good look at him.
    It was a buck with a weird antler that we've seen several times on the TC and once at night when it was too dark to shoot.
    He stepped out downwind of me like there was no one within miles...
    I checked the yardage and he was 29 yards away...
    I already had an arrow nocked, just had to wait until he was quartering away...
    He took that last step and put his head down for a bite…
    Draw and release!
    He dropped about 6 inches when he heard the shot and as he turned to run I thought I'd missed another!
    But he immediately lost his balance and dropped within 5 yards of where I shot him, arrow straight through the backbone!

I waited about 10 minutes, but I couldn't stand to see him keep trying to stand up so I left the blind and put another through his heart.
    After butchering, he'd have died in a couple of minutes anyway, lots of internal damage, he was bleeding under the skin like he’d been hit with a hollow point. The Muzzy went completely through the backbone without even chipping a blade, buggers are pretty tough!
    Anyhow, I got him and I’m as proud as can be!

I guess you’d call him a non-typical; his G-1 on the left side has merged with the main beam, then broken away and grown at least another 8 inches, it's taller than the other points.
    Really unique!
    (And talk about a fat deer! I'm not use to that on a West Texas deer, I'm sitting here drooling thinking about the backstrap!)

Thanks to all of you that have shared your stories with me and kept me motivated for the last couple of years!

Here's one of him from the TC last month:

And last night:
    Last edited by hosskix; 10-30-2010, 09:36 AM.

Nice Buck will look good on your wall

Comment

hey man, congrats. good looking buck!!

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Congrats!

Bisch

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats man

Comment

Congrats and the sweet buck

Comment

Congrats man!

Comment

nice one

Comment

Congrats..

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

congrats, that one will be hard to score, but really cool lookin

Comment

Nicely done. Congrats!

Comment

Congratulations brother... Great looking buck

Comment

Working...
                              X