How do I get rid of Mud Daubers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get rid of Mud Daubers?

Last year I had a bunch of them flying around my house so I started watching them. Low and behold, I had a couple gaps in the eave and they were nesting in there. I tried all the different wasp & hornet sprays and nothing worked. All it did was drip down on to my landscaping and kill the bushes. I would score a direct hit on one and they would just look at me and lick themselves clean. I think they would catch a buzz and that's all!

This past winter, I bought some expanding foam insulation and filled those gaps. About a week ago I started noticing the mud daubers flying around again. They are getting into the eave again but it looks like they are crawling under the shingles to get in there.

How do I get rid of these things? Appreciate ny ideas or help.

Under our covered patio we painted the ceiling a sky blue. It tricks 'em

Rest of the house just try to keep cracks filled. But really, they'll find a place to nest, walls, doors. They're Honey Badgers.

It's fun work for my boy and I, hunting the nests with hammers

Comment

I'm no help on how to get rid of them, but having a few around is OK with me based on something I saw last summer. I was in our storage building and a mud dauber came flying in in carrying a black widow spider. I watched as it landed on it's nest and stuffed it in one of those little holes -I guess for it's young to chow on. Anything that kills spiders goes on my personal "protected species" list!

Comment

jerp-you are correct sir(that's normal)
        Black-Widows are a major food source for Dirt Daubers.
        But,I'll admit,they sometimes pick the worst places, to build their stucco houses.

Comment

tannerite!

Comment

No getting rid of them! You just have to kill all you can. They cause all sorts of damage. They will get into boat motors, air tools and anything else they fit into and build their nest which will cost $$$

Comment

Their nests suck but they are great for killing spiders. I always let em fly

Comment

a can or two of hairspray and a lighter should also get the job done and is fun too

Comment

I use 1/2 and 1/2 cheap dish soap and water in a good squirt bottle. This kills em better than the wasp& hornet spray and doesn't kill your grass or bushes Also will kill spiders. Know matter what you do you will never get all of them.

Comment

If they are small and black, find where they are getting together at night and double blast them with wasp spray, then stomp on them. They group up at night.

If they the larger black and yellowish ones, you will have to try and catch them on fly glue traps. Go in the kids toy section and buy some small plactic garden spiders to put on the glue strip.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                      No getting rid of them! You just have to kill all you can. They cause all sorts of damage. They will get into boat motors, air tools and anything else they fit into and build their nest which will cost $$$
                      I declared war on them after they froze the fan on window AC in my cabin. I keep it sprayed down now with Demon and so far no more problems.

Comment

I am an expert on dirt daubers. Some people refer to them as mud daubers. They are really great creatures. They paralyze spiders and store them in their nest. Awesome!!
                        The best way to get rid of the existing nest is with a lot of water (of course).
                        But. I have experienced the worst pain and misery that any one person should ever endure from these little suckers. I live on the Mississippi Coast now, so I’m sure I got it worse than most people. Just a couple of examples:
                        1. My weed eater wouldn’t start. Dirt daubers in the muffler.
                        2. I own a tire shop. My tire balancer would not calibrate. Dirt daubers inside the machine on the spindle.
                        3. I didn’t use my motor home for a while. Oh my! Dirt daubers in every crevasse you could possibly imagine.
                        4. Dirt daubers in the heating ducts, because it doesn’t get used in the spring.
                        5. Dirt daubers in my brand new storage building.
                        6. Dirt daubers everywhere there is a place for them to get in.
                        Ok, That was more than just a couple of examples. No one can imagine how much time money and effort that dirt daubers have caused me. I’m not exaggerating.
                        After a little research and trial & error. I finally have been dirt dauber free for over a year now. The one product I have found to be 100% effective is Bifen I/T.
                        It is concentrated. I mix it 4 ounces of Bifen I/T to 1 gallon of water. Spray it under your eaves and everywhere they can get in. Spray it around door openings and crevasses. Outside use only. It will last several months. I only sprayed 2 times last year and once so far this year.
                        No, I am not a sales person nor a spokesperson for them. But, I wish I was.

Thanks, Clay Ledkins
                        From Wimberley Texas

Comment

Working...
                        X