Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #1
Killem all
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County
Default Stag Hunt suggestions????

Where do you suggest to go Argentina or New Zealand and who would you suggest to book with?
Killem all is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
dieter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County TX, Cotton and Tillman Counties OK

I hunted with Rata Marie on the North Island of New Zealand. The North Ialand tends to be more lush and green than the South Island. Tony Punch is the owner/guide. Only takes one group at a time. Great guy, great lodge, great food. Tony usually exhibits at the DSC. Hope to see him there tomorrow. I would not hesitate to hunt with Tony!

http://www.ratamaire-deer.com
dieter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2015, 10:27 PM   #3
Killem all
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieter View Post
I hunted with Rata Marie on the North Island of New Zealand. The North Ialand tends to be more lush and green than the South Island. Tony Punch is the owner/guide. Only takes one group at a time. Great guy, great lodge, great food. Tony usually exhibits at the DSC. Hope to see him there tomorrow. I would not hesitate to hunt with Tony!

http://www.ratamaire-deer.com
I kept hearing from the people I talked to was to hunt the South due to it being thicker and more scenic. Thoughts????
Old 01-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #4
ajcarricktx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fort hood, any were else I can access

Check out Poland for red stag. I just came back from there for some training and saw lots of monsters. There is an outfitter in the drawsko pomorskie area were I was at and let me tell you it was hard not to let one of the machine guns on the tank do some work or make a quick self bow and try and stick one.
ajcarricktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2015, 10:31 PM   #5
ar3731guy
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas and Hill Country

Stags you gotta do New Zealand. As far as outfitter, I'm meeting with 3 next week at the sci show in houston. Wilderness quest is prolly the one I'm going to choose. He likes bowhunters also.
ar3731guy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2015, 10:41 PM   #6
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

New Zealand is just a beautiful country all around. The north North Island is much more tropical. We only spent a few days there.

We spent about 3 weeks covering almost the entire South Island and it is just beautiful country. Mountain ranges are huge down there and the hikes we took got into some really thick stuff as soon we started the hikes. We did see quite a few stag down there driving place to place and it is in my future to head back to South Island for a stag hunt.

Also, the South Island is considered the rough, rugged, manly island by the Kiwi's (at least by the southerners). We ran into tons of local hunters and fisherman that were just awesome ppl overall and even got invited on trips but couldn't go due to time constraints.
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2015, 10:41 PM   #7
Randy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County

NZ with Shane Quinn, Alpine Outfitters.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2015, 10:52 PM   #8
dieter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem all View Post
I kept hearing from the people I talked to was to hunt the South due to it being thicker and more scenic. Thoughts????
I've been to both islands. I think the South Island is more like the American west, High mountain country and also a lot of grass covered country. There seams to be more hunting and fishing on the South Island. I think the North Island is, in general, greener. Lots of ferns, etc. I've enjoyed great hunting and fishing on the North Island. It's hard for me to say that one island is better than the other, they are different.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:08 PM   #9
Killem all
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieter View Post
I've been to both islands. I think the South Island is more like the American west, High mountain country and also a lot of grass covered country. There seams to be more hunting and fishing on the South Island. I think the North Island is, in general, greener. Lots of ferns, etc. I've enjoyed great hunting and fishing on the North Island. It's hard for me to say that one island is better than the other, they are different.
If you had to pick one which would it be?
Old 01-18-2015, 08:10 AM   #10
dieter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem all View Post
If you had to pick one which would it be?
Hard to say which I island I would pick. They are both great, but different. I think the outfitter would influence my decision. I'd find an outfitter that I liked and go from there.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:30 AM   #11
Fightinaggies
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Give Patricio a call, you wont be disappointed. Hands down the best outfitter I have ever used.

http://www.argentinabighunting.com/?lang=en
Fightinaggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #12
Honker
Eight Point

Hunt In: where the wild things are

We hunted with Shane and Vanessa who own Four Seasons Safaris. They're operation is on the south island of New Zealand and its unbelievably beautiful. They run both bow and rifle hunts, and have several species to offer. The success rate is very high. I highly recommend Four Seasons.

We've also hunted Argentina. The travel time is about half that of NZ and so is the cost, but you get what you pay for.

http://www.hunting-new-zealand.co.nz/
Honker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2015, 08:53 AM   #13
TXDraht
Four Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

I did the Argentina stag hunt a few years ago. 38hrs of travel to get to the outfitter that advertised 60,000 acres of open range hunting. After two days of riding horse back and only seeing a few herds several miles away in the distance, I asked how they can guarantee 99% success rate. The next day I was in a truck with my guide and imagine my surprise when they drove me into the high fence portion of the ranch. No wonder they guarantee 99%.

I tell everyone that asks to save your money and time and pick an outfitter here in TX. You can shoot the same animal, inside a TX high fence and be home that evening.

This is who I used: http://www.algar-safaris.com/
TXDraht is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2015, 12:40 PM   #14
Killem all
Pope & Young

ttt
Old 01-18-2015, 01:20 PM   #15
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

My dad went with Wildside Safaris. He had a great time and got a monster stag. With a bow, it was a heck of a hunt. Rifle I don think it would be too tough.
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2015, 05:46 PM   #16
Killem all
Pope & Young

WOW that's a stud
Old 01-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #17
TCB
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDraht View Post

I tell everyone that asks to save your money and time and pick an outfitter here in TX. You can shoot the same animal, inside a TX high fence and be home that evening.

Every time I think about going to NZ to hunt stag, I think about the added cost of getting the horns back to the USA and all that meat that gets left behind. Aside from seeing beautiful country, I'd rather kill one in Texas and avoid all that time in a plane.
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #18
huntindude
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazoria county and Menard

New Zealand red stag hunt is on the ole bucket list
huntindude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #19
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB View Post
Every time I think about going to NZ to hunt stag, I think about the added cost of getting the horns back to the USA and all that meat that gets left behind. Aside from seeing beautiful country, I'd rather kill one in Texas and avoid all that time in a plane.
The experience makes up for all that
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2015, 10:12 PM   #20
Kevin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB View Post
Its about the experience, not the kill or meat.

If you care about high or low fence, you need to be aware that many operations in both places you mentioned must be researched well.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2015, 10:17 PM   #21
Kevin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDraht View Post
I did the Argentina stag hunt a few years ago. 38hrs of travel to get to the outfitter that advertised 60,000 acres of open range hunting. After two days of riding horse back and only seeing a few herds several miles away in the distance, I asked how they can guarantee 99% success rate. The next day I was in a truck with my guide and imagine my surprise when they drove me into the high fence portion of the ranch. No wonder they guarantee 99%.

Yes, this is very common in Argentina. You must be very, very careful if you care about free range vs fenced. Many people do not, and that is fine. I would look at hunting in them in Europe in a free range area. They won't be freaky big, but if you book with the right people it will be a legit free-range hunt in the animals natural environment. My first choice would be NZ in a free range area. Finish up with a Tahr or Chamois .
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 08:43 AM   #22
alejandropam
Nubbin' Buck

Default Hi there, Iím thinking in going hunting in Argentina during April

Hi there, Iím thinking in going hunting in Argentina during April, any suggestion? What do you think about this time of the year??
Thanks
alejandropam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 03:54 PM   #23
tx2019
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
New Zealand is just a beautiful country all around. The north North Island is much more tropical. We only spent a few days there.

We spent about 3 weeks covering almost the entire South Island and it is just beautiful country. Mountain ranges are huge down there and the hikes we took got into some really thick stuff as soon we started the hikes. We did see quite a few stag down there driving place to place and it is in my future to head back to South Island for a stag hunt.

Also, the South Island is considered the rough, rugged, manly island by the Kiwi's (at least by the southerners). We ran into tons of local hunters and fisherman that were just awesome ppl overall and even got invited on trips but couldn't go due to time constraints.
I hunted the South Island last year and had a great trip. Exactly like BigRed323 says, the mountain ranges down there are beautiful as well as very rugged. There's great stag hunting on both islands, but there is out of this world tahr and chamois hunting on the South Island as well. If you want a spectacular mountain hunt (to include for stag), then it's no contest between the two islands and the South Island wins hands down.
https://biggamehuntingadventures.com...aland-hunting/
tx2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 04:01 PM   #24
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by TildenHunter View Post
My dad went with Wildside Safaris. He had a great time and got a monster stag. With a bow, it was a heck of a hunt. Rifle I don think it would be too tough.
Hunted with Wildside this past July. Definitely recommend Gerald. If you really want to get a local, cultural experience then I recommend it highly. Not to mention the huge Red Stag.

Here is my recap

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...light=wildside

If you are going to the Houston show, look him up and stop by for a conversation. He can give you a lot of information. Just be careful with a lot of outfitters there. You will need to check for ear holes on a lot of stags

Last edited by rladner; 01-22-2019 at 04:03 PM.
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 04:04 PM   #25
Six Point

Hunt In: The whole world
Default Stag

Hands down with Shane and Vanessa who own Four Seasons Safaris. I have hunted both places and NZ is the one. So you know you can bring #50s of meat per person back. I just got my stuff back at xmas so it is at Conroe Taxi to mount. They will be in Houston at HSC.
Attached Images

257 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 04:19 PM   #26
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

What does a guided stag hunt in either Argentina or NZ go for? Are we talking black bear pricing or polar bear pricing or something in between. Either looks like a sweet place to go with my wife and do some touristy stuff too.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 05:07 PM   #27
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback View Post
What does a guided stag hunt in either Argentina or NZ go for? Are we talking black bear pricing or polar bear pricing or something in between. Either looks like a sweet place to go with my wife and do some touristy stuff too.
Depends. Like Hunting Elk or Whitetail. Depends on the bone. More inches, more money. Do you want to stay at a country club resort or stay at a cabin? All relative. But yes, it will be more than a black bear
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top