Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #1
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Default Opinion on barking dogs?

Saw on TV today two neighbors in court over barking dogs. The one neighbor said he and his family cannot sleep because their neighbors dogs bark all night long keeping them awake. He went to the neighbor and asked him what could be done and the neighbor blew him off and told him to mind his own business.

I have (thank goodness) never experienced having to live next to barking dogs but I can imagine it can be a nightmare. What amazes me is that there are folks who own dogs that bark non stop and could care less who it bothers, keeps awake, or affects.

I would never dream of causing that type of issue with one of my neighbors. IMO one of the rudest things a person could do.
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 07:13 PM   #2
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

ohh boy....
stickerpatch59 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
asu-indian
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas

Some here may know ways to "deal" with barking dog. PM Rocky.
asu-indian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #4
waterspiderpd27
Four Point

I lived next door to a guy like that. He told me that they are dogs and that's what dogs do. To get something done would have required a lot of effort on my part to get not very desirable results from county or LEOs so I just dealt with it and didn't sleep very well until they got evicted.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
waterspiderpd27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #5
boy wonder
Ten Point

Hunt In: The river

I throw a very loud fire work in MY backyard, they stop!
boy wonder is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #6
toomuchsun
Four Point

Had a very likable Sheppard next door. Outside around 10 pm and non stop sharp sounding yap. Water hose. Would stop. Had spoke with neighbor and I consider them friends but! So I started spraying the dog and their bedroom window. They never said a word but brought the dog in. All good. Now I have a hound that can bay with the best close to me. Long woeful moans in the morning. I just get my stratocaster out and play along with some blues. (whoops I just confessed I am noisy as well)
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #7
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I dealt with that for a few years. Folks that used to live next door had four Shih Tzus. Every night about the time I was going to bed they let them out and they would bark nonstop for an hour or more until they went back in. I would occasionally call them on it and they would apologize but never did anything about it. They were aggressive little turds - canine version of short man syndrome. Finally one of them bit off more than he could chew. He dug under the fence and attacked my good natured doofus lab, latching on to his ear. Ol’ Buck finally had enough of this little maniac attacking him in his own yard and ended him. I kinda felt bad about it but that also ended the barking problem
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #8
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

I hope I never have to deal with that crud.
People these days get.offended at the drop of a hat so asking them to do anything could result in more drama. Bad situation for sure.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #9
hoghunter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for one

knew a guy who use to make special burgers for his neighbors dogs, they slept for a long long long time,
hoghunter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #10
Mission408
Spike

Hunt In: Brownwood

Had a large dog next door that would bark for hours. Made about 20 calls to the cops over it. Had to keep a log of all the barking. Per the cops request shared my list with them. They gave it to the DA. Then one day the barking stopped.
Mission408 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 07:48 PM   #11
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Here, you will get a citation for dogs that bark all night or day excessively. Mine doesn't bark all night cause she sleeps inside. City ordnance are just another reason I want to get out of this town.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #12
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
Here, you will get a citation for dogs that bark all night or day excessively. Mine doesn't bark all night cause she sleeps inside. City ordnance are just another reason I want to get out of this town.
Just curious - so if you move out of town and are next to a neighbor will you care if your dogs are barking and keeping them awake all night?
Old 10-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #13
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

How do you guys feel about the occasional barker. i.e. the dog barks at the neighbor's cat?

Asking for a friend...
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #14
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I only have one dog. And she is 11. My last one. Like I said, she sleeps indoors. And yes, I would care if she barked all night. Cause I currently have neighbors who have dogs that bark at anything. Some all night. And I hate it ! I wanna move out of town cause I hate other people sticking they're nose in my business ! And telling me what I can and can't do on my property (without paying for some kind of permit), among many other things ! I plan on being where I can not see any neighbors, smell them, or hear them! Any more questions?

Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-14-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #15
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Quote:
I only have one dog. And she is 11. My last one. And yes, I would care if she barked all night. Cause I currently have neighbors who have dogs that bark at anything. Some all night. And I hate it ! I wanna move out of town cause I hate other people sticking they're nose in my business ! And telling me what I can and can't do on my property (without paying for some kind of permit), among many other things ! Any more questions?
No Sir - you answered my question and it was a very logical answer

Last edited by Huntingfool; 10-14-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #16
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
How do you guys feel about the occasional barker. i.e. the dog barks at the neighbor's cat?

Asking for a friend...
Big difference in a dog during the day occasionally barking at something versus constant barking and all night?

IMO difference story all together
Old 10-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #17
Trevor73402
Eight Point

Some of y’all need to realize that there are some truly crazy/unstable people in this world. You think you are being sly by poisoning their dog. Then they catch you outside or roll up in your house and “end” you. And before all you Special Forces Sniper warfare commandos say “let them try”, I’m fairly certain that it wouldn’t take much for the average Joe to get the drop on most of you.

Just realize that things are not like they used to be. People are not like they used to be. Don’t make yourself or your family a target.
Trevor73402 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #18
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
Some of y’all need to realize that there are some truly crazy/unstable people in this world. You think you are being sly by poisoning their dog. Then they catch you outside or roll up in your house and “end” you. And before all you Special Forces Sniper warfare commandos say “let them try”, I’m fairly certain that it wouldn’t take much for the average Joe to get the drop on most of you.

Just realize that things are not like they used to be. People are not like they used to be. Don’t make yourself or your family a target.
I agree totally - go through the proper channels if you have any issue nowdays -
Old 10-14-2019, 08:29 PM   #19
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingfool View Post
I agree totally - go through the proper channels if you have any issue nowdays -
Poison the owners first, then get rid of the dogs

IMO, the only thing worse than a excessively barking dog is their owners who can hear it barking but don’t care about if it bothers the neighbors. My dogs wear bark collars, cause they started occasionally bark at other dogs barking in the hood.
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:31 PM   #20
Spoiled_TN_boy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Land

They sell boxes when a dog barks it emits a high frequency sound. Conditions dog not to bark. Works like a bark collar but from your yard.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:36 PM   #21
trophyhunter01
Eight Point

Hunt In: Walker County on the river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
They sell boxes when a dog barks it emits a high frequency sound. Conditions dog not to bark. Works like a bark collar but from your yard.
Yep and they work. Had a neighbor buy some they yip first time it hurts their ears but they learn quick.
trophyhunter01 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:42 PM   #22
asu-indian
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas

Quote:
I only have one dog. And she is 11. My last one. Like I said, she sleeps indoors. And yes, I would care if she barked all night. Cause I currently have neighbors who have dogs that bark at anything. Some all night. And I hate it ! I wanna move out of town cause I hate other people sticking they're nose in my business ! And telling me what I can and can't do on my property (without paying for some kind of permit), among many other things ! I plan on being where I can not see any neighbors, smell them, or hear them! Any more questions?
Yes, I have one. I've got several properties for sale out where you can't see or smell your neighbors. PM me. You sound like my buyer.
asu-indian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:43 PM   #23
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Quote:
There you go - problem solved - if I were the neighbor I would buy it for the guy who owns the barking dogs
Old 10-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #24
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

That's why I'll never live in a subdivision!
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #25
RattlesnakeDan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I bought a house on 4 acres in a tiny country town years back. The neighbor had this German Shepherd on a giant log chain and as soon as it got dark he would bark all night non-stop, literally all night every night for 4 years. At first I was going to go kill it, I wondered how anybody could listen to their dog bark like that next to their house all night. I learned to live with it through lots of prayer but it was ridiculous to say the least. I still hate barking dogs!
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:51 PM   #26
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
That's why I'll never live in a subdivision!
X-10000, but I don't let my dogs bark their azzes off for no reason; even out here in the sticks.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:54 PM   #27
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

If my dog barked all night I’d throw it over the back fence for my neighbors. I hate a barking dog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Throwin Darts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #28
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

Quote:
I was going to mention this. They are not expensive and I would probably install two.

Back in the day I took some old pots and pans and tin cups and a pulley and raised them up a tree over a wood deck. Ran the rope into our bedroom. When the idiots acted up I would go open the window and drop the pans 10 feet to crash and bang. Took a week or so before {the dogs and neighbor} got the message to shut the hell up.....
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #29
Johnny44
Ten Point

It has to disturb enough people.

But it is very rude behavior by the owners. Its not loving your brother and will get you to Hell.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #30
TxAg
Pope & Young

Go over and unlatch the gate. Let the dogs run off.
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #31
stickman
Pope & Young

A few nights a week I hear the neighbors little dogs go crazy. I don’t sleep well enough for it to bother me much but once the wife starts to complain I’ll visit with the neighbor about it.
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 09:07 PM   #32
CEO
Pope & Young

Our neighbors all have dogs but none do enough barking to bother anyone. There is a house down the street that has what sound like two dozen yappers that go psycho any time you walk down the street. Not sure how you can live in a house with that.
CEO is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #33
Bubba
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton County

Bark collar will fix most problems.My dog gets it put on once in awhile .He knows what it means and stops.If I had a neighbor with a barking dog, Id buy them one. It might be money well spent.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 09:25 PM   #34
Trapper76
Four Point

I can’t believe no one has mentioned the world famous dog training method, brought to light right here on our very own TBH!
Trapper76 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 09:28 PM   #35
ra61hunting
Six Point

Quote:
Yes sir, just one. Where is this paradise you speak of?
ra61hunting is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 09:30 PM   #36
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper76 View Post
I can’t believe no one has mentioned the world famous dog training method, brought to light right here on our very own TBH!
hump it till it pees? yeah that should have been the first response come to think of it.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #37
LMiz
Ten Point

Hunt In: Huntsville

I would go crazy. It doesn’t take much to wake me up and once I’m awake I’m awake for a while.
If their dogs kept me awake and they didn’t care to fix the issue I would keep them awake. Ring the doorbell nonstop or call the house phone on private just to hang up when they answer.
LMiz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 09:49 PM   #38
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiled_tn_boy View Post
they sell boxes when a dog barks it emits a high frequency sound. Conditions dog not to bark. Works like a bark collar but from your yard.
winner!!!!
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #39
slicktricker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land

Yes while its rude to have a neighbor that does nothing about a barking dog you're limited to what actually can or will be done. My solution was ear plugs but not for everyone. I've been told by adjacent neighbors it became music to their ears. No way
slicktricker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 10:05 PM   #40
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:

Remember that no one on TBH has ever lost a fight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingfool View Post
Proper channels blow. But one should understand what the proper channels are where they live. It would really suck to start with proper channels that end up doing nothing except tying your own hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBReezen View Post
Poison the owners first, then get rid of the dogs

IMO, the only thing worse than a excessively barking dog is their owners who can hear it barking but don’t care about if it bothers the neighbors. My dogs wear bark collars, cause they started occasionally bark at other dogs barking in the hood.
They use a big box fan or two..so they can't hear them barking.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 10:24 PM   #41
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

[QUOTE=RiverRat1;14434798]Remember that no one on TBH has ever lost a fight!

Not true! I've lost several fights and most of them were not with special forces sniper warfare commandos or ninjas

Op I recommend the barking box, they work well. I've used the one that's about $100, think there are some cheaper ones now but I haven't tried them.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 09:57 AM   #42
Spoiled_TN_boy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Land

I have also used an air horn. Dog barking = air horn blast out window. After a week, the dog stopped barking.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #43
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

the ones next door to me bark all the time, it does get aggravating. but at night I turn on a box fan and it drowns them out pretty good
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #44
cgny27
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

this topic gives me PTSD...been there...it sucks....
cgny27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #45
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Every time someone has any sort of problem with a dog on this forum, all the Big Tough Dog Killers come out of the woodwork. Y'all are gonna f**k around and kill the wrong dog someday......

To the OP, like others mentioned, get one of those plug-in anti bark things. Not sure how close they have to be to work on the neighbor's dog, but worth a try and pretty harmless.
One of the MANY downsides to living in the city
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #46
Rush2Judge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood County

Good luck finding a place remote enough not to hear neighbor dogs. At our property, the nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. Unfortunately, they have a kennel full of dogs. Believe me, you hear them very clearly without the background noise of city life.
Rush2Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #47
mcbZX225
Spike

pepper spray in extreme cases settles them down pretty quick.
mcbZX225 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #48
Trevor73402
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
Every time someone has any sort of problem with a dog on this forum, all the Big Tough Dog Killers come out of the woodwork. Y'all are gonna f**k around and kill the wrong dog someday......
My thoughts exactly, but you and I seem to be the minority here. Nobody listens anymore. People are not like they used to be. It’s not the 1960’s on the farm. You don’t just kill “some ole dog”. Regardless of other’s views on it, many people now see their dog as a child, a family member. I know some think that’s just ridiculous, but it’s not your place to judge others.

All it takes is one unstable/upset/determined individual with a full magazine to end your life......don’t put yourself or your family in that type of danger. Only have yourself to blame.
Trevor73402 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #49
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: My dreams this year

Our closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away and they have dogs. Not particularly noisy, but once in awhile they'll get started because coyotes are howling or something. Those dogs barking isn't annoying, but they get my dogs barking which can keep us up. If we just walk outside with the bark collar, they shut up quick.
Speaking of folks not being like they used to be . . . When we moved out to the country (20+ years ago), I was meeting my neighbor across the barbed wire fence, an older man who has since passed. As we were talking, his two German Shepherds came onto my property and were chasing and barking at my cows. To me, it was 'dogs will be dogs' - they aren't hurting anything. But my neighbor started yelling at them and got them back home. Then he told me: "If you ever have a problem with my dogs, shoot 'em. I can't tolerate a misbehaving dog."
Mr. Patty was no snowflake, RIP.
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top