6.5 Grendel feed issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Grendel feed issues

So I just recently finished a Grendel build and have put a few rounds through it to test functionality. Have gotten my optics 100% mounted yet. Anyhow, I have put less than 10 rounds through it and I have had two “failed feeds”. Round halfway up the feed ramp with the bullet over the case end and wedging between bolt face and feed ramp. Can’t seem to find too much definitive answers on what it could be. Here is the rifle specs...

12.5” Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel with factory gas block
    Monster bolt type 2
    e-Lander mags
    SOTA upper/lower
    Running a standard Carbine buffer kit (thought this might be place to start)
    Hornady Black 123gr ELD off shelf ammo

Am I over gassed, under gassed, buffer weight issue, new gun issue, possible mag issue?

I have not tried the single round does he bolt catch scenario yet to check for short strokes.

Shot the gun 3 rounds one weekend and had the issue once and then shot about 5 rounds last weekend and had another do it.

Anyone have any idea where to start? I’ve been too busy to really try to dissect it so any starting point is helpful.
    Last edited by BBReezen; 09-19-2019, 10:55 PM.

Gonna be a fun gun though I can already tell. Here it is
    Attached Files

Comment

Have you tried different ammo and do you have an adjustable gas block.

Comment

Mine did that. I changed to Elander mags and the problem went away. Maybe yours doesn't like the E-lander. I would try the single round first and work back from there. Try a standard 223/5.56 mag and only load 2 or 3 rounds and see if the problem goes away.

Comment

I've started having the same problem with mine. I haven't messed with it too much yet, but I'm thinking that the mags may be my issue. I'll let you know as I find out.

Comment

Mags first then gas would be my second guess.

Comment

Try mags then check gas block. It may not be perfectly aligned and causing not enough gas. The shorter barrel im sure youll need a bit more gas. Grendel and its powders usually perform well in longer barrels with longer dwell times in the barrel

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                Have you tried different ammo and do you have an adjustable gas block.
                No not yet, haven’t had a lot of time to run some rounds through it. But will definitely try that.

And no I don’t have an adjustable block. That’s one of the solutions I have been wondering about but a lot of things I read say adjustable blocks and different buffers supposedly aren't necessary on Grendel but a lot of folks also say otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by lbbf View Post
                  Mine did that. I changed to Elander mags and the problem went away. Maybe yours doesn't like the E-lander. I would try the single round first and work back from there. Try a standard 223/5.56 mag and only load 2 or 3 rounds and see if the problem goes away.
                  Yea after reading some stuff I figured I’d try the single round. I do have another mag that I was going to try and I’ve got plenty of 223 mags to try. Wonder if steel vs pmag would make a difference

Comment

I had the same problem with ASC magazines and switched to E-Landers and it stopped. I did dremel the ASC mags and it still never fixed the problem. I can send them to you or meet you around Houston if you'd like to try them.

Comment

3 most likely issues for this

Mags
                      Gas block
                      buffer spring

Comment

Mags are usually the main culprit with the Grendel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My 12.5" SBR's had the same issues, but didn't fail to eject as often with the elander mags. I jumped up to a 4.6oz buffer and it hasn't skipped a beat since.

Comment

Looks like your running a can. My guess would be over gassed

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                              Looks like your running a can. My guess would be over gassed
                              It’s not a can, just a 1.5” linear comp and kinda tucked like a can.

Comment

Working...
                              X