Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
Blackmouth
Eight Point

Default Faith

This can hopefully be answered by some of the more seasoned guys here and the few pastors that post as well.

In times like these, reading about poor little Lily, how do we keep the faith?

Last year, I asked for prayers for my marriage and it officially died on January 4, 2019 along with my intact little family and changed the course of life for my two little boys with a simple signature. I know many of you prayed and I continue to pray to this day and plant those prayers on my bed and water it with a tear many times even to this day.

Many of us prayed for Lily, and yes, she is in a much better place. But how do we keep the faith when we pray and our cups overflow with prayers only to not be answered? I feel like it is a mindset that we have to get past when things don't go our way, that we continue to have faith even when all hell breaks loose.

I realize it's in HIS time, but is it selfish of me to sway or feel this way? I can't see how any of the two examples above are for the best.

I'm not going to stop praying, but sometimes it feels like it's just...I don't know...I'm speechless.
Blackmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
Tex
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmouth View Post
This can hopefully be answered by some of the more seasoned guys here and the few pastors that post as well.

Last year, I asked for prayers for my marriage and it officially died on January 4, 2019 along with my intact little family and changed the course of life for my two little boys with a simple signature. I know many of you prayed and I continue to pray to this day and plant those prayers on my bed and water it with a tear many times even to this day.

Many of us prayed for Lily, and yes, she is in a much better place. But how do we keep the faith when we pray and our cups overflow with prayers only to not be answered? I feel like it is a mindset that we have to get past when things don't go our way, that we continue to have faith even when all hell breaks loose.

I realize it's in HIS time, but is it selfish of me to sway or feel this way? I can't see how any of the two examples above are for the best.

I'm not going to stop praying, but sometimes it feels like it's just...I don't know...I'm speechless.

Even Jesus cried out to God to let the cup pass from Him. He didnít want to suffer the crucifixion. He wanted God to move the mountain. But God had another plan. So I donít beat myself up for questioning God from time to time but I canít stay in that place. I have to do like Jesus did and understand that the answer was no and go on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
hntndawg
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kendall and LaSalle/Webb counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Even Jesus cried out to God to let the cup pass from Him. He didnít want to suffer the crucifixion. He wanted God to move the mountain. But God had another plan. So I donít beat myself up for questioning God from time to time but I canít stay in that place. I have to do like Jesus did and understand that the answer was no and go on.

Well stated. I do not believe there are ever "unanswered" prayers, only ones that you might not get the answer you want.
hntndawg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

HIS will be done....not mine.

curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #5
BigCountry101
Four Point

I came across this article about the same time I read about Lily on here. Definitely worth the read.

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles...or-the-furnace
BigCountry101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #6
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

1 Peter 5:7-10

7. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 8. Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings. 10. And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

2 Corinthians 5:7
7. For we walk by faith, not by sight.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 11:47 AM   #7
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

The Book of Job is an example of extreme testing of Job’s faith.
In James it states to consider it pure joy when facing trials & how it develops perseverance. It’s a challenging read
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #8
Blackmouth
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggslayer View Post
1 Peter 5:7-10

7. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 8. Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings. 10. And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

2 Corinthians 5:7
7. For we walk by faith, not by sight.
This is the mindset I mentioned, just bear and grin and keep pushing. It is hard at times but no one said it would be easy
Old 09-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
Blackmouth
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogHunter34 View Post
The Book of Job is an example of extreme testing of Jobís faith.
In James it states to consider it pure joy when facing trials & how it develops perseverance. Itís a challenging read
He was rewarded for his faith, I'm not sure I could've been as strong as Job but I do pray for strengthened faith.

Thanks everyone, we all needed a little help and a lot of God...
Old 09-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #10
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

OP you're not the only one who has ever felt this way. I'm sure some of Lily's family members are feeling the same way right now. What seems like everything to us at the moment will someday seem small when we meet God and see His plan.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 09-16-2019 at 12:55 PM.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #11
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Anderson County, Montgomery County, Rusk County, Polk County, and Throckmorton County

These are questions that everyone has at some point in their life, especially when faced with extremely difficult circumstances or outcomes that we can't understand. I too prayed for little Lily and hoped for a different outcome. However, I have learned that when I pray for people in a difficult circumstance, to ultimately pray that God's will be done in the matter, even if it doesn't line up with what I want. I prayed for Lily to be healed and for God to receive the glory in it, but I also understood that God's plan might involve something different happening. As humans it's hard for us to understand that God's will might involve pain and suffering, so many will struggle with their faith during those times that the outcome doesn't align with the way we thought or hoped it would go. We often forget that Jesus suffered greatly during his time on this earth, and we as His followers are not exempt unfortunately. Jesus Himself prayed that He wouldn't have to suffer the agony of the cross, but knew it was the Father's will so He prayed that the Father's will would be done instead. Suffering in this life such as sickness and divorce are the unfortunate side effects of living in a fallen world as the result of sin. But God is still sovereign and in absolute control. I too suffered through a divorce many years ago and it was one of the worst times of my life. I was mad at God and could not understand how good could ever come from it. I'm here to tell you that 15+ years later, I can look back and praise God for His sovereign hand that was at work. I couldn't see it at that time but He had a beautiful plan for my life that He was unfolding and He used those circumstances to bring it about. He has a purpose in everything that is allowed to happen and most of the time it is beyond our understanding, at least it is while in the midst of the difficulty. Sometimes, months or years down the road, we are allowed to get a glimpse of how He was working in that situation for a greater good that we couldn't see. If we love Him, we have to trust and obey Him even when everything is falling apart in our eyes and nothing makes sense. Trusting Him in those times is what builds our faith. In our humanity, we aren't equipped to handle the weight of the heartache and pain that this world brings. That's why we have to be totally reliant on Him and rest in Him when nothing makes sense. Trust Him each day. Obey Him each day. Praise Him each day.... And day by day He will unfold his will and purpose for each life until you look back one day and praise Him for His wisdom in accomplishing His will and not ours in each situation we faced.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #12
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

Quote:
This is the mindset I mentioned, just bear and grin and keep pushing. It is hard at times but no one said it would be easy
1 Peter 1:5-7

5 Through our faith, the mighty power of God constantly guards us until our full salvation is ready to be revealed in the last time. 6 May the thought of this cause you to jump for joy, even though lately youíve had to put up with the grief of many trials. 7 But these only reveal the sterling core of your faith, which is far more valuable than gold that perishes, for even gold is refined by fire. Your authentic faith will result in even more praise, glory, and honor when Jesus the Anointed One is revealed.

It's hard to understand this stuff sometimes. I never get it right when I try to be the one with all the answers.

For when I'm weal he makes me strong.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #13
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
I feel we need to be careful using this phrase at times such as the OP is touching.

I say this because my Mom is the only only child left of three...my uncle died of a brain tumor when he was only 10 & my aunt died from breast cancer in her 30's. Many of their very dear friends would quote 'His will' as an attempt to console them?? While I'm sure the intensions were sincere, It was not God's will for Lily or my aunt & uncle to die. He wants us to prosper in every positive aspect of our time here and that includes everything from health to finances to our relationship with Him. My Gramp took these words to heart & held a grudge against God imo for the rest of his life. Called God a cruel sob that it would be His will to take two of his children. I tried to discuss the issue biblically with Gramp, but the damage was too deep.

The Bible says: "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

I don't know why some prayers are answered & others aren't. I don't know why good things happen to bad people & bad things happen the most devoted, but I have the satisfaction of knowing when my time comes & I have a lot of questions.

I'm not ragging on you brother with your quote, but felt it was worth discussing further due to it hitting home so very hard & having a lot of time to think about how those words affected Gramp to the very point I still question where his faith was when he died on Christmas Eve at the age of 93.

Again, everything really is about His will, but I do not believe the bad / evil circumstances that we all deal with is anything God wants for our lives...that belongs to the enemy.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 12:21 PM   #14
RafterH
Four Point

Blackmouth, in times like you describe, our faith is the only thing that can carry us through. While we pray in faith, we realize there are things that we can just not understand. We lost a 4 day old granddaughter a few years ago. Many people were praying for her, but she passed anyway. The docs gave a reasonable idea of what happened, nonetheless, we were devastated. Our son spiraled after this and a year after her death he came to Christ and I believe this is a direct example of God using these unexplainable events to teach us about our need for Him. I am praying for you to have that "peace that passes understanding".

I don't feel you are being selfish at all. You appear to me to be a man that cares deeply for others. " I feel like it is a mindset that we have to get past when things don't go our way, that we continue to have faith even when all hell breaks loose." This sentence you typed tells me a lot about you.
RafterH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #15
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post

This. Learning to recognize and accept this can be difficult but learning to embrace it will give one more peace.

Gary
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #16
riverbowman
Eight Point

We're promised suffering in this life. When something like this happens we'll probably get angry, we may question, we may even doubt... but God designed us and he won't be at all surprised by our weakness. He’s bigger than our despair and He can handle it. He wants all of it. He wants us to bring it all straight to His feet and lay it all out there instead of internalizing it or being ashamed for how we feel.
riverbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #17
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I feel we need to be careful using this phrase at times such as the OP is touching.

I say this because my Mom is the only only child left of three...my uncle died of a brain tumor when he was only 10 & my aunt died from breast cancer in her 30's. Many of their very dear friends would quote 'His will' as an attempt to console them?? While I'm sure the intensions were sincere, It was not God's will for Lily or my aunt & uncle to die. He wants us to prosper in every positive aspect of our time here and that includes everything from health to finances to our relationship with Him. My Gramp took these words to heart & held a grudge against God imo for the rest of his life. Called God a cruel sob that it would be His will to take two of his children. I tried to discuss the issue biblically with Gramp, but the damage was too deep.

The Bible says: "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

I don't know why some prayers are answered & others aren't. I don't know why good things happen to bad people & bad things happen the most devoted, but I have the satisfaction of knowing when my time comes & I have a lot of questions.

I'm not ragging on you brother with your quote, but felt it was worth discussing further due to it hitting home so very hard & having a lot of time to think about how those words affected Gramp to the very point I still question where his faith was when he died on Christmas Eve at the age of 93.

Again, everything really is about His will, but I do not believe the bad / evil circumstances that we all deal with is anything God wants for our lives...that belongs to the enemy.
I can agree with your premise but I think people need to understand that praying for an outcome that is not within God's will is going to end up with a lot of folks questioning their faith. Just like we have to tell our children no at times so does Our Father. I know for me I didn't like for my kids to be disappointed or see them cry but in life those disappointments are real. I don't believe The Lord enjoys seeing us hurt or disappointed as well. However that is going to happen from time to time as well.

Gary
Old 09-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #18
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Lots of great words here.

I believe that God answers all prayers but not necessarily the way we want. His perfect will and plan means we will suffer but it's to turn us or people around us toward His path. Not everything bad that happens to us is for us. How we respond to tragedy shows others the path to God. Many years ago it was others' response to devastation that turned me to Christianity.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #19
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post

And here lies one of my current hurdles. In one breath we say ďGod is all powerful and in control.Ē And in the next breath we assign responsibilities of the evils to the enemy. Which is it, because it canít be both. He is either in control and thus responsible or he isnít. But this assigning good to God and evil to The Devil drives me nuckin futs and Iím not sure itís really Biblical.

The whole story of Job is a sick and twisted event if you think about it.
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #20
Artos
Pope & Young

Thanks Gary...again, I do not think it's an applicable or an appropriate response to console from my research in these sort of situations. I've kicked this issue of His will around for a long time because of the personal connection & nobody can convince me it was God's will for Lily to die in this way & not what the Bible teaches us when you research what His will for us is about in our lives. I don't know why the enemy wins sometimes or why prayers are not answered.

My daughter is a Sr. in high school & has suffered from seizures since she was in infant diagnosed with tuberous sclerosis...she started having infantile spasms at 6-7 months. All the pediatric neurologists at the time told us the outcome was dire, should likely prepare ourselves for her to be dead or symptoms of full blown retardation by her teen years. We didn't believe the Dr's & to this day they say she is quite the miracle. Kacie still has seizures & we are still battling for her complete healing we believe will happen. She has her struggles but is on the cheer squad & a happy kid who now wants to go to a Bible College in Colorado. We take it a day at a time. I have not found anything in the Word where God wanted my daughter to have this condition & when someone tells me it's God's will, it comes across as if He indeed 'wanted' this for our family even though I understand that is not their intensions when stating this common saying. All I am suggesting is that telling survivors of those hurting during the immediate fallout that it was God's will can easily be taken very painfully to those hearing it vs the actual act of trying to console. I know personally that it stings, but after researching & praying about it I now understand God's will in it's proper context.

It's the enemy who wants it & I believe it is God's will that He will use this attack by the enemy & take Kacie to place where She will be a mighty woman of God in some capacity in the future.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #21
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion, Webb, counties

God answers all prayers. May not be what we ask for. His plan include changing the hearts and minds of folks through tragedy and miracles unexplained by Doctors and layman.
I have struggled with the “why” bad things happen to good people. I trust it is his will and he is all knowing. He knew the day we were born and they day we will pass from this life.
I have to strengthen my faith through reading his word and praying daily.
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #22
mikerosa
Eight Point

God will not put anything on your table you cannot handle.

Thank Him in your storms and thank Him in your triumphs.

Book of Revelation speaks of all the prayers prayed as a sweet aroma to God before He exacts His revenge on satan. So your war, is spiritual and you might not see it fulfilled NOW but you will one day !!

Hang tough and keep the faith. Ask Jesus for the strength to perservere thru it all with faith in Him.

mikerosa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #23
Artos
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post

It really is a hard read...didn't the devil have to repay job several folds over what he stole??
Old 09-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #24
SamHarper
Ten Point

Quote:
I can't speak for everybody, but I can speak for myself and what helped me keep the faith about 11 years ago when tragedy hit my family.

I worked out the problem of evil on an intellectual level a long time ago. I studied the problem academically--how do you reconcile the existence of suffering and evil with an all knowing, all powerful, and wholly good God? I looked at a lot of the philosophical literature on the subject and was persuaded that suffering and evil did not invalidate the existence of God.

I majored in history in college and I remember coming to the conclusion one time that history was nothing but one tragedy after another. Horrible things have happened. If nothing that has happened in history invalidates the existence of God, then the existence of God shouldn't invalidated when something bad happens to me either.

It's much easier to think clearly about the issue when you aren't in the middle of suffering. When suffering hits, emotion takes over, and you can't think things through in a logical way.

So when tragedy hit my family, I simply reminded myself of what I previously knew--that evil and suffering are consistent with the existence of God. One does not disprove the other. I leaned on the conclusion I came to when I was more sober-minded.

I've seen a lot of people abandon belief in God (and Christianity in particular) when tragedy hits them, and I always think it's a tragedy that they hadn't worked out the problem of evil beforehand. Surely everybody knows that horrible things happen in the world. If the horrible things that happen in the world didn't disprove God, then God isn't disproven by your personal tragedy either. I think if more people would think about and study the philosophical problem of evil before tragedy hits, it's a lot less likely that they'll be taken off guard when it does, and it's more likely that they'll be able to keep their faith.
SamHarper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #25
Death from Above
Pope & Young

True healing only takes place when we graduate into glory.

If you prayed for healing...God answered.
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #26
Death from Above
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
And here lies one of my current hurdles. In one breath we say ďGod is all powerful and in control.Ē And in the next breath we assign responsibilities of the evils to the enemy. Which is it, because it canít be both. He is either in control and thus responsible or he isnít. But this assigning good to God and evil to The Devil drives me nuckin futs and Iím not sure itís really Biblical.

It is one of the most biblical doctrines in systematic theology.

God called perfection us running around naked in the garden (contextualized of course )

Sin is the reason for corruption of that, it is why we have death, evil and unrighteousness.

Gods combat against sin is Jesus. The bible specifically that all good things come from above.

We are just in a period between Jesusí intervention and the fulfillment if time when God declares enough.

Great question to contemplate for sure and i am certain my post doesn't do it justice but i think ya see my direction. Be blessed.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #27
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

My little niece battled cancer for 18mos.I wondered the same things you have,when she passed away at the age of 6..The Chaplain for the fire dept.said two things I will never forget.
1)In order to see her again you know what you have to do.
2)Jesus needs little angel's in heaven too.
I dunno if that helps,but it made it a little easier for me to swallow.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Hart8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #28
RattlesnakeDan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Nehemiah 8:10
The joy of the Lord is my strength.
I have not had a bad day in 13 years.
I have recently felt like Jobe, suffered sickness, lost loved ones, attacks from every side, financial hardships, internal suffering for self and others and shed many tears but I have never considered a God who does not love me, I have never considered a God who doesn't want to prosper me in all ways, i have never considered a God who has bad gifts for me but only good gifts because I have never known this God to ever leave my side through it all. My God has never left me or forsaken me because my God is not a man that He should lie. The Bible tells us that the devil is the ruler of the Earth, that is why there is evil all around us. He gives us a way out, that is the supernatural peace that can only be found in Him. The joy of the Lord is my strength. We praise Him everyday regardless of how we feel.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 06:50 PM   #29
Artos
Pope & Young

Old 09-16-2019, 08:25 PM   #30
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Awesome thread and responses! Thank you all!
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 09:14 PM   #31
Hunt'n Fool
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Romans 10:17

17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Personally, I need to be in the word more....
Hunt'n Fool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #32
UncleBubba
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.

We just did a series on prayer at our church. Week 3 was over unanswered prayers, listen to them all though! It was a great series!

http://clifec.com/resources/sermons/series/prayer/
UncleBubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 09:41 PM   #33
Rudyl
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb County

I guess there are some things we will never know, I have to remember

Isaiah 55:8-9
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are you ways my ways," declares the Lord.
"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

I just have to remember who He is and that ultimately He is in control.

Sorry, that's all I got.
Rudyl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 09:49 PM   #34
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

It’s certainly easier said than done. When life hits us hard it can certainly challenge our faith. The thing is ultimately our Faith should not be based on emotion or circumstances. Rather it’s simply trusting & believing in Christ. We may not completely understand why things happen to us but that’s where we have to trust & believe God has something in store. It may simply be to strengthen our dependency on him or grow us in our Faith.
I’m still learning & growing as well. Good thread
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 10:04 PM   #35
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 10:09 PM   #36
Pokes21
Four Point

Hunt In: Childress

My wife and I lost our first child at 6 weeks last year after trying for 2 years. I was in the same boat. All I can say is that GOD is good and don’t stop praying. It’s great that you can go through these trails with him and he still loves you unconditionally no matter what! Don’t stop praying!

My favorite bible verse- James 1:12

“If your faith remains strong, even while surrounded by life’s difficulties, you will continue to experience the untold blessings of God! True happiness comes as you pass the test with faith, and receive the victorious crown of life promised to every lover of God!”
**James (Jacob)‬ *1:12‬ *TPT‬‬
https://www.bible.com/1849/jas.1.12.tpt
Pokes21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 10:31 PM   #37
Southern Blend
Spike

Hunt In: East Texas

Lots of wisdom in this thread. Last December we unexpectedly lost our 2 year old son. I dropped off a healthy little boy at school Thursday morning and he was in my arms when his heart stopped 24 hours later.

I am a Christian but the past eight months have been the worst thing I can fathom coming to fruition. Depression, anger, unanswered questions and prayers. All this to say, we are human. I believe God is big enough to understand our questions and emotions. Don't feel like you are the only one who questions. We all do regardless of the type of tragedy placed before us. Just keep grinding, praying and hang in there. One day all the answers will be given. It just may not happen during our time in this world.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
Southern Blend is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 10:52 PM   #38
Artos
Pope & Young

Peace be with you brother...you clearly repeated my sentiments.

<><

I don't know why some prayers are answered & others aren't. I don't know why good things happen to bad people & bad things happen the most devoted, but I have the satisfaction of knowing when my time comes & I have a lot of questions answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Blend View Post
Lots of wisdom in this thread. Last December we unexpectedly lost our 2 year old son. I dropped off a healthy little boy at school Thursday morning and he was in my arms when his heart stopped 24 hours later.

I am a Christian but the past eight months have been the worst thing I can fathom coming to fruition. Depression, anger, unanswered questions and prayers. All this to say, we are human. I believe God is big enough to understand our questions and emotions. Don't feel like you are the only one who questions. We all do regardless of the type of tragedy placed before us. Just keep grinding, praying and hang in there. One day all the answers will be given. It just may not happen during our time in this world.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2019, 11:22 PM   #39
SM69
Four Point

ďIf God was small enough to be understood, He wouldnít be big enough to be worshipped.Ē

An Evelyn Underhill quote that managed to stick with me after reading her powerful story.

SM69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 11:41 PM   #40
Death from Above
Pope & Young

“When we are faithless, He remains faithful”

Even our faith in Him is a gift.

Lords Blessing of faith on you all...
Old 09-16-2019, 11:42 PM   #41
DRT
Pope & Young

Artos I agree it's not something to be put to a suffering loved one in mourning or to tell a person who just got told of a terminal disease.
But honestly we are all going to die. We are not promised a certain amount of time. We are not promised a smooth, easy life or death.
It sucks but we live in a fallen world. When Adam sinned he damaged all of creation. As time has passed it has become more and more corrupted. Part of that corruption is spoken of in His word. Diseases and blights.
On another note I believe sometimes God removes us from the world for His reasons. Maybe to ensure we don't turn away from Him as He sees the end from the beginning.
Maybe He can use our loss as a way to bring a lost person to Him. I've known folks who fought dependency and addiction their whole lives. Then at a point got clean and let The Lord in there hearts. Suddenly they died and those of us who knew them knew they were struggling with the demons that had so long plagued the. I believe He took them before they could turn away.
Again that has nothing to do with the loss of that poor child.
Prayerfully her loved ones can be comforted by His Spirit during this.

Gary
Old 09-17-2019, 01:23 AM   #42
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I wish, I had the words,...…………………………
But, I can't see to type...……………….
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 05:54 AM   #43
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

God has perfect timing. We as humans may not always believe that, but it is the absolute truth.

Just because you prayed for something and it didn't work out the way you had planned or envisioned does not mean that the prayer wasn't heard or even answered.

The old Garth Brooks song says " Some of Gods greatest gifts, are unanswered prayers".

I keep my faith in the almighty because I know, he knows what is best for me and my family.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 09:36 AM   #44
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Great thread.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #45
Buckslayertx
Six Point

Hunt In: Grayson Co.

A lot of folks have an idea in their heads about God and how he would or should be based on what they have been taught or learned on their own about God. These ideas are based on world views not Kingdom truths. There is no way we can or will ever understand the ways of the Lord. We aren't supposed to. All we are to do is believe and have faith. To be unshakable in that faith is a huge challenge because we live in a world that demands justice for injustices. A world that demands immediate responses when patience should be observed. I've heard many times that a hurt never goes to waste. We are overcomers by grace and mercy. Our stories help others and show healing is possible. It gives hope for the next moment, the next day and freedom from those feelings and emotions of If I just had one more chance with a loved one to I loved the time I had with my loved one. Much of the feelings and emotions come from a selfish place. Healing moves us past ourselves into a place of peace. Each and everyone of us belong to God. It was a rude awakening for me one day when God gave me the realization that my 3 and 7 year old weren't mine. I am here to grow them and do my best by them, but ultimately they aren't mine they are his. I broke down in tears and struggled to come to grips with that. Again selfish. I will never do right by them as their Father in Heaven. I know it is difficult in the moment to think or try to understand, but to be in a place spiritually to have a Kingdom view will hopefully accelerate the process to understanding. Also we were never meant to go through these things alone. We are meant to yolk ourselves with others who have a like desire to seek the lord. In those relationships that matter we can find shelter, support and mentoring. I pray for those that grieve to find him in the storm and to grow stronger in their relationship with the Lord. There are some true hearts and folks speaking from a spirit led perspective on here. God bless.
Buckslayertx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #46
Ricky T
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity Riverbottom

I believe it boils down to the devil. he roams around seeking whom he may devour. We believe in God but underestimate the power of the devil. he puts these atrocities on us like cancer, divorce, death of children to get us to do the very thing some of us are doing: Blaming God for it.

Why werenít our prayers answered in those instances? Some peoplesí children are healed, some marriages are put back together and some incurable diseases are healed while others are not. Could be lots of reasons, many of which are beyond my understanding. Maybe we didnít pray in faith and doubted. Maybe God lifted His hand of grace off a particular situation for reasons only He understands. We live in a fallen world with an enemy hell-bent on sending each one of us and our families to hell. Our job is to stay vigilant against that enemy and be ready so we can ask Jesus these questions when we get to see Him. God bless.
Ricky T is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #47
xman59
Pope & Young

i also struggle with faith on occasions,,, that simply proves that satan is real and he never quits,,,,, having said that there is a line from an older mark chestnutt song that is so very true,,, not giving him credit for it because i am pretty sure he did not write it but the line is
" thank God for unanswered prayers" the circumstance of the song does not change the meaning of the line and there have been times in my life i have done that very thing,,,

my family and i suffered a very intentional pain and verbal assault from a so called pastor years ago,,, i picked up the Bible and in my anger I told God he had one chance to get it right and that whatever i first read i would follow and if it/He did not come through i would never step foot in a church again. I opened the Bible to 1st Thessalonians 5:18,,,, the very short version is that it says "to give thanks to God in all situations" and i know how hard that is,,, but i did it anyway,, with 1 exception, i read it to say give thanks for "all" situations,, yep i am giving credit to God for the miss read, because what i did was start thanking God for what had happened for the "pastor" too leaving that church, too my family and especially for the personal attacks on me... 64 people left there and walked out of our Egypt and straight into a better place, a better church, better church family, a better pastor and better teaching,,,,,

i did not know it then but quickly my mind set had changed about everything and what satan had meant to destroy he strengthened ! From that day 25 years ago i have been a better man and a better Christian and i continue to give thanks to God " for " all things... although now i do it more intentionally! It was very hard the first few days to give thanks for the hurt and pain, but i started seeing more joy, more peace and more hope in all of us . It happened because it was the only thing that was going to bring us out of a desolate place ,,, God's timing and ways still confuse me at first and sometimes for weeks on end, but i just go back and give thanks for and through all of it,,

when you give thanks "for" things you take satans ability to inflict pain and give it to God. He takes it, reshapes it and gives you something you can use, hope, joy, peace, love, comfort, knowledge, wisdom,,,, and with these things you grow and are better able to help and comfort others because we are not alone in our losses or hurts...... someone is going to need you in the future and because you have overcome and came through this you will be the hope they see,,,,

Last edited by xman59; 09-17-2019 at 02:58 PM.
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #48
3whunt
Four Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma

Needed this today. Thanks.
3whunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 04:06 PM   #49
tgil
Pope & Young

Quote:

I realize it's in HIS time, but is it selfish of me to sway or feel this way?
I'm going to post before reading a single reply. This is not my norm. Selfish? Not sure that is accurate, but I think it is normal to feel a little perplexed when the outcome doesn't go our way.
Honestly, I haven't experienced many of my own prayers being answered, but I have been on the recieving end of other's prayers when it was obvious God was working.
Back to my own not being answered....I attribute it to not walking with Christ every day, in a way I should.
I am a work in progress. I don't plan on stopping that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tgil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #50
Johnny44
Ten Point

Blackmouth, we have to understand the benefits of our sorrows today might not be reaped for generations. It’s God’s plan. I tell folk all the time if things are going as planned, something is wrong. If we don’t have hope and Faith even in the worst of times, what do we have. When you give a dollar bill to a homeless person or a waitress, does it eventually do good, we’ll never know. It might not be for us to know.

I think the song “Three wooden Crosses” illustrates the mystery well.

I think in the movie Open Range I heard a quote that would probably be applicable to all of us from time to time “I’m inclined to hold a grudge against (God)...” I do think our Maker knows this, so I don’t think its Faith we struggle with as much as the grudge.

Prayers up !

Last edited by Johnny44; 09-17-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top