Old Powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Powder

What is the oldest powder you you have ever loaded with ? I just loaded 45 rounds of 30-06, with a sealed can of 3031. It has been in my inventory since 94, or 96. We will see tomorrow how it does.

It's good, I've been using some 335 from the 80's.

Comment

I have some from back in the 70's with no issues.

Comment

You’ll shoot your eye out.

Comment

I hope not I just got new glasses.

Comment

I’m using some H3841 I bought in 1980. Still goes bang.

Comment

I have powders from mid 80’s I’ve loaded. As long as it’s stayed in a climate controlled environment it will be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostacresranch View Post
                I’m using some H3841 I bought in 1980. Still goes bang.
                Talk about dyslexia.

Modern powders really don't degrade as long as they are stored correctly. I traded for some powder that included a couple of tins of IMR with the old labels and it shoots as good as my newer lots.

Comment

It worked fine about 1" group, at 100 yards. That about the best I can do with my 38 year Winchester.

Comment

I shot a service rifle match in 1992 with an M1 Garand and 1943 headstamped ball ammo, powder worked OK I guess for being 50 years old. Had to clean it exceedingly well because of the original corrosive primers.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
                      It worked fine about 1" group, at 100 yards. That about the best I can do with my 38 year Winchester.
                      Not trying to be a know it all but 3031 is not the best choice for 30 06

Comment

48g 3031, 150g Sierra gameking, WW case, Remington 9 1/2 primer. My rifle has always liked it. Back when I was younger it would shoot five shot clusters all day.

Comment

I just loaded some 9mm XTPs with some Hercules Blue Dot from the early 80s. They still go bang!

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                            It's good, I've been using some 335 from the 80's.

Same here. Also a can of IMR 3031 from the 70's. No issues at all.

Comment

Mid to early 70s easily. Not sure but maybe even a few cans from the 60s. All of it has been pistol powder though. Or cheap plinking rifle ammo.

Comment

Working...
                              X