Reloading Beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading Beginner

I am interested in getting into reloading. I am not a heavy shooter, but instead a hunter who likes the idea of knowing exactly what's going to happen with my ammunition when the gun goes boom. The calibers I will be reloading most are 300 Win Mag, 22-250, 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmore, .223, and 25-06. I would also like the ability to reload pistol ammunition such as 9mm. My question is, what are some recommendations for reloading presses, as I know this is one of the main building blocks? I am not worried about cranking out hundreds of rounds in a short amount of time, but instead, care more about precision and dependability. I know there are many different brands and types out there, I just wanted to get some opinions from TBH. Thanks in advance.

If you want an electronic powder measure dispenser I have a rcbs chargemaster new in box for $250

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

My advice is to get with a good experienced reloader / reloaders in your area to get some ideas what works best for you & also to get some on hand instructions, but make certain they are indeed experienced...I like the RCBS Rock Chucker & Forester CO-Ax presses for single stage / long guns.

If you aren't going to shoot a ton of 9mm/pistol, then a single stage is ok for a while, but a Dillon progressive makes life a lot easier if there is any sort of volume.

Spend your money on a quality powder measure like the Harrells...it is a lifetime investment & worth every penny. Once you know your loads & dial in the measure you are golden. There is simply no reason to weigh every round of powder unless you are a competitive / serious long distant range shooter. These top shelf measures are repeatable & one area I wouldn't cut corners on.

Comment

I'll echo what Artos said. For a single stage I'd get a Forester Co-Ax.

I started off reloading for my 9mm using my lee classic turret (some may laugh because it's a "lee, but it's solid!). With that setup I could crank out about 100 rnds/hr and never had a problem with the press or ammo it produced.

I still use that press for rifle loading, but don't use the indexing feature.

For throwing powder I use an RCBS chargemaster, like many. Lately I've been thinking about upgrading that to something like a Harrells so I can do some loading at the range.

Other than the press and dies, you need a good set of calipers, doesn't have to be a fancy digital model, and I highly suggest getting the hornady OAL gauge as well as the hornady headspace gauge. Most new reloads don't think to get the OAL gauge or headspace kit, I think it makes all the difference when reloading and allows you to set up your dies properly.

Of course you need a few other odds and ends as I'm sure you've read about.

Comment

I went with the rcbs rock chucker kit. Came with the basics. Press, powder measurer (not super precise, have to weigh every round so a trickler was required) and a mechanical scale, which I like better than the digital that I purchased. You're going to need case prep tools and a tumbler. I think I was $500 or $600 all in. Recently purchased a Lyman case prep station, which was well worth the $120 I spent. My fingers thank me every time I use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Artos nailed it.
            I have been using the same Rock Chucker for 30 years.
            I will make you a heck of a deal on 300 WM dies that might have 100 rounds through them.

Comment

If you don't do Co Axe look hard at a mec marksman.

Comment

A good press, powder drop measure, scale and dies. I'm still using the same Pacific single stage press that my Dad taught me on when I was a kid. I have no idea how old it is, but it was old in the early 70's. Buy quality equipment and take care of it. It will last a lifetime. I reload multiple rifle calibers and 9mm. I have no issues.
                Last edited by tpepper70; 07-02-2017, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I've got a single stage good ol' Lee, .223, .45, 9mm dies....great press that you press out rounds slowly but high quality...don't forget to get a couple of recipe books too, two books may have different recipes for the same round sometimes...take notes too...

Comment

I'm going to strongly echo Artos' advice about finding someone local to tutor you. It's going to be about 20x easier to learn having someone show you, at least, the basics. Might be a good idea to hold out buying equip until you find someone so you can mimic their technique. If you can't find anyone, buy Mic McPerson's book, Metallic Cartridge Loading. Read it cover to cover before you start loading. It's the best book I've ever read on loading and it'll give you a very solid understanding of not only what to do but WHY you're doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got a buddy here in copperas cove looking to sell his rcbs kit at good deal. Holler if interested, 253 two nine zero 169two not sure what all he's got but it's the whole rcbs starter kit.

Comment

Right now I am running 2 Dillon 550s (progressives), a Rock Chucker and a MEC Grabber for shotgun. Your statement of caring more about precision and dependability seems to establish your basic criteria. In general, if you have a solid routine then dependability can be achieved with almost any press. If you shoot 9 mm in any quantity, you may quickly grow tire of single stage loading and revert to buying. Reloading your rifles can be done on a progressive with a respectable degree of accuracy but real precision is another ballgame.

There are folks that pay attention to every detail in order to create tiny groups at extreme distances. This requires top end equipment and meticulous case preparation and reloading techniques. I have not ventured down that rabbit hole being content with what I can do with the equipment I have chosen.

PM me if you have questions. Cabelas has a pretty good selection of normal equipment and can be a great place to compare different brands of basic equipment.

Comment

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NUnrYp0NH38"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NUnrYp0NH38[/ame]

Comment

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Igse-APgpEc"]High Powered Rifle Reloading (with G. David Tubb) [Part 2/2] - YouTube[/ame]
                            Last edited by Brute Killer; 07-04-2017, 05:50 PM.

Comment

For those that reload 9mm how much are you spending per box. Everytime I've done the math I can't see how it's cheaper than buying white box winchester.

Comment

Working...
                              X