Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 12-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #51
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Brother in law said he threw the rope out there and the coyote ran right into it this morning!
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #52
cmeadors
Eight Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by masters75 View Post

Brother in law said he threw the rope out there and the coyote ran right into it this morning!
cool pic
cmeadors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2015, 08:05 PM   #53
Dushon
Ten Point

Quote:

Your bro in law is a bad sonofagun
Dushon is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #54
WTX
Ten Point

WTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2015, 09:47 PM   #55
Dushon
Ten Point

Just saw one of those 5xl coons. Sucker looked like a bobcat at 200 yards through the night vision.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:35 AM   #56
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:

I first thought he had that yote on a catch pole until I read the caption

You will not see a coyote on the end of a lariat very often

Hope there is video of him getting the yote out of the loop
BTLowry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #57
Archer156
Eight Point

Like Tuff said most of the coons I caught where 3XL and 4XL. A 4XL coon is measured from tip of nose to the base of the tail will be between 35" to 38". a 5XL is 38" to 41" and a 6XL is anything over 41". All I was getting at was that our coons do grade and do as good at the sells as the northern coon do when they are prime. Also this season only those 4XL and bigger are going to sell if at all! I love to catch coon but this season it will be only if they get in my dog and cat sets! Those coons that get in those sets are usually the bigger boars that roam about looking for love later in season. Hope this help some!
Archer156 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2015, 07:08 AM   #58
sundownbrown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb county

Anyone have any luck trapping this weekend? Would love to see some pics
sundownbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2015, 08:08 AM   #59
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

We went onto a property we have worked on before, ran out a line of coon sets to clear them out before we place k9 sets out.

Pulled 12 total and let two small ones go in two days...no water around just working in wood lots made for a slow time but was nice to see 7 of those were really big boars.
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #60
bfree
Ten Point

I have a coon population that is about to be impacted here shortly! I have a rd fox that has shown up on a tail cam, too! Bonus
bfree is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #61
sundownbrown
Ten Point

A fox would be awesome
Old 12-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #62
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Barnum (Polk County)

I was going through my collection of traps last weekend and spent a few minutes sorting through my old muskrat traps from back when I was a kid in NJ and trapped rats, coons and foxes. Check out this old Victor 0 Longspring! These 0's were never really good muskrat traps as they did not have enough weight to quickly drown a muskrat.

We moved down to Houston in 1983 and this trap has not been set since then!(as I upgraded to larger coyote and bobcat traps). The trapper's tag on the chain is still from my old address in NJ!

I thought I would share with the other TBH trappers. Going through my old traps brought back many memories and the fact the traps were waxed resulted in them being well preserved despite sitting up for more than 30 years!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  140.1 KB
Anvilheadtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #63
tex4k
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

Those little O traps make for good pack rat/wood rat traps at the deer lease, or any other place they show up, my youngest son cut his trapper teeth catching pack rats on their trails between nest.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2015, 08:58 PM   #64
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Barnum (Polk County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex4k View Post
Those little O traps make for good pack rat/wood rat traps at the deer lease, or any other place they show up, my youngest son cut his trapper teeth catching pack rats on their trails between nest.
I have no doubt they would be perfect. In fact that's what I figured this trap is going to be used for from here on out.... Cause it defibately won't hold a bobcat!!!! I also have some Victor 0 jumps. You talk about cool little traps!!!!
Anvilheadtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2015, 03:34 PM   #65
sundownbrown
Ten Point

Any action this weekend?
Old 12-15-2015, 10:25 AM   #66
sundownbrown
Ten Point

Im going to make some sets this weekend
Old 12-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #67
yanta61
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee & Karnes county

make sure and post some pictures....I wont really start until the new year. I've caught 3 coons at my feeder and need to clean out a few more. My 6 year old loves to trap them...
yanta61 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #68
sundownbrown
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanta61 View Post
make sure and post some pictures....I wont really start until the new year. I've caught 3 coons at my feeder and need to clean out a few more. My 6 year old loves to trap them...

Yes sir I will
Old 12-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #69
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

I am hard after the coyotes this year.
So far I have 2 coyotes, 1 fox, 1 coon, 1 possum and a skunk
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  153.1 KB

Name:  32.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  183.5 KB

Name:  31.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  134.7 KB
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2015, 09:52 AM   #70
yanta61
Ten Point

Nice work Buff.... I threw out 2 deer skulls the other day and put a game cam on them. Had 3 different coyotes come in that night. Not sure how much longer i can wait. Think i might have to put a trap out or two
Old 12-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #71
sundownbrown
Ten Point

nice pics
Old 12-16-2015, 09:46 PM   #72
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

I need a little help.

I have been trapping to keep the coyotes off of our goats. I have used a foot trap that was recommended. It is a circle foot trap about 6-7" in diameter. I am staking it down with a 18" rebar stake I bought from snareshop. I am staking it down directly beneath the trap and pushing the head of the stake about 2 inches under the dirt. I am baiting it with domestic dog dropping and a coyote mating scent I bought at Bass Pro shops. In the past month I have had the two traps set 6 times. Two had the coyote still in it, one stole the entire setup, the other three he didn't get caught. My bait is working.

My questions are:
What traps should I buy? I had two, now I have one.
What should I stake it down with. I lost one trap with the rebar and another almost came out.
I am setting up my trap so they come to it in a certain direction. Which side of the trap should be towards the coyote, the free jaw of the trap or the jaw with the trigger?

Thanks, All I know came from websites and youtube.

Last edited by stinkbelly; 12-16-2015 at 09:56 PM.
stinkbelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2015, 09:57 PM   #73
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Management Advantage has some really good trapping videos on YouTube.

What sort of sets have you been making? Dirt hole sets are pretty easy to make, and with a few sticks or rocks you can guide them to put their foot where you want. A cactus, brush pile, log, fence post, etc. can be used as 'backing', giving you more control of which way the approach the set.
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2015, 11:13 PM   #74
Fergeris
Ten Point

Hey guys just found this. Got a good story for yall
Guy called me the other day wanting me to trap his place. Next to my uncles place. He is raising goats. Well we found coyote tracks. I set a few traps 3 I think. Well bulldozer an shredder showed the day after an ran over my traps haha thay sucked. Well I reset an man nothing showed up couldn't find any more tracks but kept looking an just left those 3 sets. Finally caught a Coon in one an reset it an a skunk in the other I shot him an left it throwed. Next day as I was pulling up I saw the Lil mesquite going nuts but no wind. This is whay was waiting for me
I thought it was a young male but it wasn't but a very poor yote but he was caught lol an since no tracks seen. But still have traps out total of maybe a week of trapping makes you feel good to so that
Fergeris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2015, 07:05 AM   #75
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Management Advantage has some really good trapping videos on YouTube.

What sort of sets have you been making? Dirt hole sets are pretty easy to make, and with a few sticks or rocks you can guide them to put their foot where you want. A cactus, brush pile, log, fence post, etc. can be used as 'backing', giving you more control of which way the approach the set.
I am using dog droppings with mating scent. I am using a backing so they come in from the correct direction.

My questions are:
What should I stake it down with. I lost one trap with the rebar and another almost came out.
I am setting up my trap so they come to it in a certain direction. Which side of the trap should be towards the coyote, the free jaw of the trap or the jaw with the trigger?
Old 12-17-2015, 08:15 AM   #76
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
I was going through my collection of traps last weekend and spent a few minutes sorting through my old muskrat traps from back when I was a kid in NJ and trapped rats, coons and foxes. Check out this old Victor 0 Longspring! These 0's were never really good muskrat traps as they did not have enough weight to quickly drown a muskrat.

We moved down to Houston in 1983 and this trap has not been set since then!(as I upgraded to larger coyote and bobcat traps). The trapper's tag on the chain is still from my old address in NJ!

I thought I would share with the other TBH trappers. Going through my old traps brought back many memories and the fact the traps were waxed resulted in them being well preserved despite sitting up for more than 30 years!

Attachment 761569
The first trap I ever bought myself was a 0, I tried to catch all kinds of critters with it.
Hanging on a nail by the fireplace with 2 others I picked up over the years now.
BTLowry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #77
Patton
Pope & Young

We use Duke #3s, hmm or are they #4s? I forget. As far as stakes go, I have liked using the Berkshire wire stakes. Drive them into the ground with a rod and pull tight on them and they are locked in the ground. I'm not sure if it matters, but I like to set the 'dog' (dog-that trigger piece) on the backside of the trap. So the 'free jaw' towards where the coyote comes from
Old 12-17-2015, 08:57 AM   #78
Fergeris
Ten Point

I'm the same as you general in like to set the dog towards the back. An I'm using Bridger #3s but I use drags as much as possible. An when I'm not I use the Berkshire or some homemade ones
Old 12-17-2015, 09:18 AM   #79
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

How deep do you need to set an earth type anchor (Berkshire, super stake, or Pogo) for coyotes? I know the deeper the better, but what is minimum? I have lots of rock in some areas.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #80
Fergeris
Ten Point

I don't go very deep in rocky soil. According to how far you can get it in
Old 12-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #81
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergeris View Post
I don't go very deep in rocky soil. According to how far you can get it in
Will 1 foot deep hold them? What anchor would be best for a shallow anchor?
Old 12-17-2015, 09:52 AM   #82
Fergeris
Ten Point

I would think so if it's pretty hard. The general mite be able to say more but I like the pogo or there is another one I made them out of 1/2" pipe an welded a nut to them that's what I was using
Old 12-17-2015, 10:02 AM   #83
az2tx
Pope & Young

I use the Berkshire HD and drive them in 12-15 inch in rocky soil
when I'm done with them I tie a piece of yellow rope to the anchor so I can find and use at a later date
az2tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #84
Patton
Pope & Young

I usually drive them as deep as I can, leaving about 2-3 inches out of the ground. That plus the length of chain on the trap is enough length to set the trap correctly. If you have a lot of rebar you are trying to use, instead of using one piece and driving it straight down. Use two pieces and drive them at an angle against one another, so they create an upside down 'V' going into the ground. That way when you attach you trap to where the two rebars meet, it is much harder for a critter to pull it out the ground because the stakes are angled and counter act one another. We sometimes try to pull the berkshires out of the ground but typically leave them with a piece of pink flagging tape attached. And for the record, I am absolutely nowhere even remotely close to being an expert like some are.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:08 AM   #85
More Liberty
Ten Point

Hunt In: My land

This might sound kinda strange but I have plenty of shrimp net my dad gave me - he was a professional shrimper for years before retiring and selling the boats and license. I want to build a spring loaded net trap for hogs. It's more of a "i just want to see if I can do it" thing. Any ideas would be great.

Last edited by More Liberty; 12-17-2015 at 10:15 AM.
More Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #86
Philip-TX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Liberty View Post
This might sound kinda strange but I have plenty of shrimp net my dad gave me - he was a professional shrimper for years before retiring and selling the boats and license. I want to build a spring loaded net trap for hogs. It's more of a "i just want to see if I can do it" thing. Any ideas would be great.
Post the video please .
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #87
More Liberty
Ten Point

Hunt In: My land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip-TX View Post
Post the video please .

That's the idea. If I can get a sounder in on that net, and film it. Hello awesome
More Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #88
tex4k
Ten Point

If coyotes are getting your stakes out of the ground you need longer chain on your traps. I use 4-6' chain with 3 swivels minimum staked with 24" rebar stakes or now days a earth anchor with 24" cable when not using drags. Short chains allow the animal to get an upward pull on your stakes, then the attaching swivel slides back down the stake until the next pull, which jacks the stake out of the ground.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #89
yanta61
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkbelly View Post
Will 1 foot deep hold them? What anchor would be best for a shallow anchor?
Just use a drag and you wont have to worry about them pulling the stake..
Old 12-18-2015, 10:07 AM   #90
yanta61
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkbelly View Post
My questions are:

Thanks, All I know came from websites and youtube.
Anything bigger that a No 2 trap will work on coyotes.

you can use 2 stakes and cross them or just us a drag.

I try and put the dog towards my dirt hole or post set, that will put the free jaw towards the coyote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #91
Fergeris
Ten Point

How long of chain are you guys running on your drags?
Old 12-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #92
yanta61
Ten Point

My shortest are probably 6' plus whatever chain i have on my traps already. 6-8' works for me. I also pre-hook them on something(if i can) so you don't have to chase anything down. You can also wire the drags to logs to help slow critters down. My grandpa would wire window weights to his...
Old 12-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #93
Fergeris
Ten Point

Yes sir I do the same but I'm running 10' on most of mine. Just curious to what every one else did
Old 12-18-2015, 10:18 PM   #94
Buff
Pope & Young

I use drags on all of mine
2 coons and a big male coyote today
Views: 533
Size:  117.3 KB
Old 12-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #95
Buff
Pope & Young

Views: 528
Size:  152.6 KB
Old 12-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #96
tex4k
Ten Point

Drags are my go to also, but you'd be surprised at how many times staking is the better choice, like a 4 way intersection in the middle of a cotton field, trust me following drag marks several hundred yards across a field just find out a Coyote changed its mind and went several hundred more yards to the field edge sucks, plus eats up precious time.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #97
Dushon
Ten Point

Man buff, you're tearin em up!
Old 12-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #98
Dieselman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell

Dumb question. There's season ? Dates ? Haven't really done this but if can make a little money on it might as well try it. Is there a place website to see prices ? Furbuyers ? Skinned ? Sold as whole ?
Dieselman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #99
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselman View Post
Dumb question. There's season ? Dates ? Haven't really done this but if can make a little money on it might as well try it. Is there a place website to see prices ? Furbuyers ? Skinned ? Sold as whole ?
Not a dumb question, but.... if your attempting to do it to make money I would highly suggest you pick another topic..

Season dates are relative and do not coinside with best time to harvest fur for money, if your attempting to chase money I would not start till after thanksgiving each year and even then you will see some blue pelts, each animal/species will prime at different times thus leading to the best time to trap them. Prices will change vastly from each level of purchase (local buyer, to a NAFA fur auction or local auction) Your best money is earned from finished furs (caught,skinned,fleshed,dried, sent to auction).

To break even you will be busting your tail, to make money will mean trapping will be your new way of life...
Old 12-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #100
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Marty!!!! Brother you have came so far in a short time!! Congratulations, its highly addictive!