Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 06-04-2015, 11:58 PM   #101
Peyton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Carrizo Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTK View Post
Interesting information on consumption. I switched to the DF&G RHR ration April 1st. Figure I have about 175-200 deer on my property. They are eating more than previous years when I was feeding ADM Rack Plus 17%.

Right now consumption is 1.8# per deer per day. Cotton seed I don't know but I only buy 8 tons and start putting it out in Jan. and it usually lasts until about July so about .45# per deer per day.

Wondering if I have a gluttony problem.
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2015, 08:46 AM   #102
TexasTK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit County & Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
Wondering if I have a gluttony problem.
They are trying to catch up from all the years you were feeding the other feed, Haha. More is better.
I will be interested in seeing how much improvement you see this year from the new feed. Will be difficult to judge though due to the copious rain we have seen.
TexasTK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #103
mills650
Four Point

Filled 1000# feeders in Feb in Mills cnty, they're still almost full.
mills650 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2015, 11:55 PM   #104
In Rut
Six Point

Hunt In: Southern Texas

Quote:
I just crunched the numbers 22 protein feeders, 11 cottonseed feeders.

January-June 2015
Protein (Double Down)
1960 bags, 98,000lbs, 49 tons
Cottonseed
720 bags, 36,000lbs, 18 tons

January-June 2014
Protein (Record Rack)
1876 bags, 93,800lbs, 46.9 tons
Cottonseed
500 bags, 25,000lbs, 12.5 tons

Same deer numbers as last year, 10" of rain in the past 30 days, and they're eating MORE than the drought years?!?!?!!!
32 tons of DD and 6 tons of cottonseed in the last 43 days at the place I get to hunt. All the feeders have gone dry and it has been to wet to fill them. There was still a little cottonseed left 3 days ago.
Filling feeders Monday. It should be an awesome year!
Always enjoy your photos and post.
In Rut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2015, 12:51 AM   #105
Peyton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Rut View Post
32 tons of DD and 6 tons of cottonseed in the last 43 days at the place I get to hunt. All the feeders have gone dry and it has been too wet to fill them. There was still a little cottonseed left 3 days ago.

Filling feeders Monday. It should be an awesome year!

Always enjoy your photos and post.

Oh my! That's pretty much double per day. I hope yall have a lot more acres and deer. What does that work out to per deer/day?
Old 06-07-2015, 01:11 AM   #106
Duck_hunter11
Ten Point

Hunt In: NORTH TEXAS

Not hardly at all. I put out 200 pounds of protein back in March and I just ran out. Last year they went thru about 1200 a month.
Duck_hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #107
Cull hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Catarina

Just got back from down south. Water still standing in the low spots. No pin bones on the cows. They are rolling fat. Deer are fat and shed well and look slick. All the lakes are full and running around the dams. Creeks are full. Oil field is slow and lots of equipment stacked up on 83. Deer may need a little help in July and August if the rain stops and the heat turns up but right now the new pipelines are grown up and providing a lot. Should be great bean crops and tuna crops and the low spots are gonna keep growing. The grass is as high as the hood of my truck in some places and even in some of the feeder pens. Save your money until they need it. Birds and coons are the main visitors and of course the does.
Cull hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #108
Capt.Bryan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

A deer breeder in Brady once told me if you want to see deer reach their most potential then feed protein even in the years you don't think you need it. They will eat what they need and if their is something missing in the native vegetation then they will find it in your protein. If you are only having does eat it then you will likely have healthier does and fawns creating a healthier overall heard and higher fawn survival rate. With the flooded Trinity river where one of my leases is I will be lucky if I can even get to my hunting area for at least a month, however I have seen an increase in deer numbers at my house which is 12 acres just about 1/2 mile from the flood area. I put some small troughs out at the house in my yard where I have been throwing hand corn and started putting a little protein out for them. Now when I get home in the mornings I have deer standing at the troughs waiting for me to fill them up again. It took them about 4 days to get them started on it and now they are going through about 15-20 pounds a day. For the last 2 weeks I can pretty much look out and see deer randomly at any time of day. The does are looking healthy which is good because I have 4 with twins and 3 more with single fawns. My wife texted me Friday before dark and said their were 7 does, one small buck and one yearling doe eating 35 yards from the house before dark. I also have a corn feeder set up about 150 yards from the house just to keep deer around and I need to get my camera going to see what bucks are hanging around after dark.
Capt.Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2015, 09:44 PM   #109
Cull hunter
Eight Point

All good points and true. We are just in a different situation. We let the deer patterns tell us and the conditions of the pasture as well. When it rains we have horns and they don't eat the protein. When it gets dry they will come back to it.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:03 AM   #110
Peyton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull hunter View Post
Just got back from down south. Water still standing in the low spots. No pin bones on the cows. They are rolling fat. Deer are fat and shed well and look slick. All the lakes are full and running around the dams. Creeks are full. Oil field is slow and lots of equipment stacked up on 83. Deer may need a little help in July and August if the rain stops and the heat turns up but right now the new pipelines are grown up and providing a lot. Should be great bean crops and tuna crops and the low spots are gonna keep growing. The grass is as high as the hood of my truck in some places and even in some of the feeder pens. Save your money until they need it. Birds and coons are the main visitors and of course the does.

That's great news! Best year in a long time for sure

Protein has always been considered "rain in a bag" and this year we don't need any rain, yet, but without a 3/4" or more rain event soon we are right back to a normal summer. The bucks, does, and soon to be born fawns need a consistent and reliable source of nutrition for numerous reasons. A late term doe has difficulty moving and will stay close to a reliable food source near water. A mature buck that has grown up with established and consistent feed locations will use them increasingly out of convenience. If the feed is available, they will use it as they need. The full effects of feeding protein take a generation or two (6-12yrs) to see the real results but it has to be there reliably for the deer to eat it.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:47 AM   #111
In Rut
Six Point

Hunt In: Southern Texas

Quote:
Oh my! That's pretty much double per day. I hope yall have a lot more acres and deer. What does that work out to per deer/day?
I don't know how many deer per acre are on this ranch exactly. This place is about 14000 acres. We are filling feeders now and under estimated the consumption last month. We have loaded 32 tons into feeders so far and had DF&G deliver us another 15 tons today with several locations left to fill. Every feeder on the ranch has been completely empty! We did not expect to see this. You have been to this ranch a few times Peyton. We are not far from you. South Texas is an awesome place lots of deer, hogs and tons of quail running around this evening!
In Rut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #112
Cull hunter
Eight Point

Peyton. Where in carrizo are u I agree we need to help em the next couple months if it doesn't rain again. It looks like the 100 degree days are coming.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:41 PM   #113
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
That's great news! Best year in a long time for sure

Protein has always been considered "rain in a bag" and this year we don't need any rain, yet, but without a 3/4" or more rain event soon we are right back to a normal summer. The bucks, does, and soon to be born fawns need a consistent and reliable source of nutrition for numerous reasons. A late term doe has difficulty moving and will stay close to a reliable food source near water. A mature buck that has grown up with established and consistent feed locations will use them increasingly out of convenience. If the feed is available, they will use it as they need. The full effects of feeding protein take a generation or two (6-12yrs) to see the real results but it has to be there reliably for the deer to eat it.
I agree with most of that but don't agree with it taking that long for protein to make a major impact. Especially out west where I am and on even a "normal" type year it is pretty dry. I think being consistent is big every year but the decade I have heard from a few folks on seeing the results just doesn't seem to add up on any ranches I have managed.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2015, 08:01 PM   #114
gtsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee and Fayette Counties. New Mexico

My deer have doubled consumption in the last week.
gtsticker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #115
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pointer View Post
With all this much needed rain, our deer haven't been needing or wanting that much to do with protein. There is plenty of native vegetation for them right now. We are doing a better job of documenting the amount of protein we are putting out on the entire ranch this year. We have been running 10 protein stations since beginning of March. As of today's filling, (2) feeders needed 250-300 lbs, (3) feeders needed 150-175 lbs, (1) less than 50 and the other (4) haven't been touched. We implemented cottonseed this year in addition to protein, but that has been a non-issue considering they haven't hit it much. I know it will for sure pick up late spring early summer. You won't find me or my wallet complaining too much about this rain.

What are y'all noticing on your place?? We are in Schleicher county.
I put out 3 different mineral locations in Tom Green Co. back the first part of April. When I went and checked them this past weekend they were basically dried up wallows with deer tracks all over them. I loosened up the soil a little and put out some more mineral. We shall see what it looks like in a couple more weeks. Looking GOOD though!!!
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #116
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

In 2014 through June we fed 6.75 tons.
YTD for 2015 we are at 11.5 tons.

We had a bad fawn crop last year so we laid off the does. Guess I need to get the skinning knife sharp.
JeffJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2015, 09:42 PM   #117
Josh7099
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zavalla, Alto Tx., and anywhere else I can

We are at 6 tons since January 3rd between 3 feeder. We have seen a massive increase in their consumption in the last month and a half since all of the river bottoms near us have flooded out. Apparently the neighbors deer decided to come to our high ground. The guys on our place were complaining about how much they are eating but I told them I will keep feeding it as much as possible to try and keep some of them on our place. Should be a great year with all the protein and greenery.
Josh7099 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #118
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

Our deer have been hitting the protein hard the last three weeks. We checked cameras last weekend. Some moisture got in the camera so the dates are wrong, but all these pics are from early to late May.

8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2015, 11:14 PM   #119
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

Your place looks great! Looks like you have a double beam working its way out!
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2015, 11:20 PM   #120
8pointer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Thanks Jack! We also noticed that the buck in the last 2 pics has a little drop tine growing off his left main beam. I think there are going to be some beautiful bucks on camera for everyone across the state this year. It's gonna be exciting watching the green screen this year!
Old 06-11-2015, 11:28 PM   #121
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Old 06-11-2015, 11:30 PM   #122
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

I'm just really excited to see some west tx bucks. I'm heading out next weekend and hope to get some pics but haven't been out in a while so not sure what is still working.

Going to be an exciting next few months!
Old 06-11-2015, 11:36 PM   #123
8pointer
Pope & Young

Post some pics if you get any. Y'all should have some big boys this year.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #124
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

For you guys that are feeding several tons of feed, what would happen if you stopped feeding? Would your herd collapse? I may put out 2 bags of corn and a bag of calf feed a season just to get a few closer up pictures early, so I know nothing about the feeding deal.
Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2015, 10:26 PM   #125
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Here won't collapse but you may not maximize your herds genetic potential. Also increases fawn survival.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:38 AM   #126
8pointer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk89 View Post
For you guys that are feeding several tons of feed, what would happen if you stopped feeding? Would your herd collapse? I may put out 2 bags of corn and a bag of calf feed a season just to get a few closer up pictures early, so I know nothing about the feeding deal.
That would depend on if your deer herd is over the carrying capacity.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:35 AM   #127
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico

Quote:
Could dramatically decrease the survival rate of your mature deer herd if you have one established.
Mex. Bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #128
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX

I just filled the feeders today and found out that we are averaging around 125lbs per day of protein consumption on just under 400 acres.
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #129
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Quote:
That would depend on if your deer herd is over the carrying capacity.
That makes sense, but if you're feeding a whole lot, wouldn't you be artificially increasing your carrying capacity?
Old 06-15-2015, 09:13 PM   #130
8pointer
Pope & Young

Quote:
That makes sense, but if you're feeding a whole lot, wouldn't you be artificially increasing your carrying capacity?
http://www.buckmanager.com/2008/03/2...eding-of-deer/

Read this interesting article
Old 06-15-2015, 09:21 PM   #131
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Quote:
Where we have fed 8400lbs on 600 acres- Definitely not. The deer would be 100% A-OK. The deer density isn't that dense there. In the past 10 years on the property it hasn't been put out as frequently or as early in the year. And some years, none at all.
I was on a 1000acre HF lease for two years, and if they didn't feed protein, they would have certainly lost some deer.
I think deer density would be the main factor, as well as range conditions.
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2015, 10:21 PM   #132
Cull hunter
Eight Point

so buck manager is more in favor of mother nature than supplemental programs?
Old 06-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #133
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

LAST 10 days has gone down a bit but still eating it fairly good for how wet
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2015, 11:10 PM   #134
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Quote:

Thanks! Interesting info. We don't use feeders much but have been pretty serious food plotters as long as I can remember, and at some places I hunt the deer feed heavily in bean fields. I'm sure those factors also contribute to concentrated numbers of deer as the article mentioned. I have considered feeding protein, I'm just not sure the deer would take to it very well so I don't want to make the investment. It's been interesting to read about y'alls set ups. Makes me wonder what my bucks might do if they'd eat that feed
Old 06-16-2015, 12:08 AM   #135
Peyton
Pope & Young

Quote:

You should consider where the author lives to honestly interpret that article. His anti feeding, CWD agenda driven, angle is obvious.

Supplemental feed can do wonders for your local deer herd. It WILL add to a buck's potential and lifespan, enhance a doe's ability to reproduce, and ease the struggle of a fawn to reach adulthood. It WILL reduce the individual deer's consumption of the habitat.

Anytime deer are concentrated on a local source of nutrition they will spend more time in that area. On a small scale, they will forage more close to a feeder. If they can spread out, they will travel for a sweet spot of habitat to feed if needed. This is also true with food plots or feeders. Problems may exist on a small HF property, or a LF property if it is an island of good habitat. The author doesn't mention the effect of concentration in the veins of habitat around a corn field in the MidWest.

If we can improve their nutrition, lifespan, reproduction, and hunter opportunity, why not feed? If you can't feed through the antler growing season, there is a benefit to only feeding protein instead of corn during hunting season. Winter months are the hardest on deer in most of TX. Either way, supplemental feed works.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:34 AM   #136
8pointer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks! Interesting info. We don't use feeders much but have been pretty serious food plotters as long as I can remember, and at some places I hunt the deer feed heavily in bean fields. I'm sure those factors also contribute to concentrated numbers of deer as the article mentioned. I have considered feeding protein, I'm just not sure the deer would take to it very well so I don't want to make the investment. It's been interesting to read about y'alls set ups. Makes me wonder what my bucks might do if they'd eat that feed
Our bucks took to the protein very well. We were very pleased to see them take to it within a week of setting up the protein feeders. We started feeding in March of last year on our current lease.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:07 AM   #137
8pointer
Pope & Young

Quote:
You should consider where the author lives to honestly interpret that article. His anti feeding, CWD agenda driven, angle is obvious.

Supplemental feed can do wonders for your local deer herd. It WILL add to a buck's potential and lifespan, enhance a doe's ability to reproduce, and ease the struggle of a fawn to reach adulthood. It WILL reduce the individual deer's consumption of the habitat.

Anytime deer are concentrated on a local source of nutrition they will spend more time in that area. On a small scale, they will forage more close to a feeder. If they can spread out, they will travel for a sweet spot of habitat to feed if needed. This is also true with food plots or feeders. Problems may exist on a small HF property, or a LF property if it is an island of good habitat. The author doesn't mention the effect of concentration in the veins of habitat around a corn field in the MidWest.

If we can improve their nutrition, lifespan, reproduction, and hunter opportunity, why not feed? If you can't feed through the antler growing season, there is a benefit to only feeding protein instead of corn during hunting season. Winter months are the hardest on deer in most of TX. Either way, supplemental feed works.
Peyton- I think the author is actually from Texas. I only posted that link because I felt like it directly applied to Razrbk89's original question. Whether the author had a hidden agenda targeting the culprit of diseases such as CWD is beyond me. Either way, I did think it was a very interesting read.

I do not disagree with you at all on supplemental feeding. Good post.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #138
Cull hunter
Eight Point

another good rain last night down south where we are
Old 06-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #139
Cull hunter
Eight Point

More protein falling from the sky.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #140
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Put out another 1750 pounds yesterday, that's 10,150 for the year since Jan 25. There was a decline for 10 days or so but the past two weeks they have it hard again.

In regards to the article, I read it tongue in cheek the entire time. With each sentence read, I had enough thoughts totaled to write my own paper with an opposite opinion.

Last edited by Patton; 06-21-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #141
8pointer
Pope & Young

We got another 4" of rain earlier in the week. Protein feeders are getting filled this coming week so I will have an update then.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #142
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Our protein consumption has slowed way down around the Freer area. We are considering swapping back to corn slingers next month.

Good idea or keep the protein going?
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #143
Capt.Bryan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Our protein consumption has slowed way down around the Freer area. We are considering swapping back to corn slingers next month.

Good idea or keep the protein going?
I would keep the protein available so if they want it then it is available. A few corn singers wouldn't hurt. Your does should be dropping fawns pretty soon and your bucks should be approaching the next 2 months of critical growing season for antler development.
Capt.Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #144
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

On my small place they are still hammering it and we have been pounded with rain this year. Last week we got 12.5 inches in 6 days and 42 for the year so far.

Eating around 200-250 lbs a week at one location and 250-275 at another. Both are 600 yards apart
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #145
elgato
Ten Point

About 3 tons a week . Bucks are looking good. Herd will be reduced this year!!!
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2015, 11:38 PM   #146
8pointer
Pope & Young

Feeders got filled today. Deer ate 2,600 lbs in 3 1/2 weeks.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:06 AM   #147
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Havent been able to checkit lately....flooded out of my lease.
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2015, 08:02 AM   #148
Texifornia
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills Co.

I'm checking ours tomorrow. I've got a feeling they will be empty it's been two weeks.
Texifornia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #149
meathunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere invited

My deer still have not messed with it. Filled them in January and they are over half full. Seeing plenty of deer, but they are not real interested in protein this year. It may be because the grass is up to their knees and still green as can be. They are going to the corn feeders some.
meathunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #150
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Consuming it on a daily basis.
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top