Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 09-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #201
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
Pm inbound brother..
Tuff,
Sorry for the late response. Landowner is thinking about his options and I'll get back with you. Thanks
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #202
Fergeris
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stxranchhand View Post
Like the thread! I'm new to the site and glad to find some trapping info. I use loaded snares with slimlocks for yotes and coons. Anyone else use snares here?
Sorry I just saw this. I don't use snares as much as I used to. When I was trapping for the goverment I ran alot of snares. but I found I can catch just as many in my steel traps. The places I have now do not have good fences so I just use the steel.
Fergeris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #203
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Got bored today and tossed this together...

Trapping how to: How to build your own DP and Bodygrip anchor systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVor...ature=youtu.be

We are going to try and release one each week as the season moves along.

Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 09-30-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2014, 12:04 AM   #204
Whirlwind
Ten Point

Hunt In: Worldwide Adventures

I have been busy getting gear together. Made up a bunch of bait and went out and dug some trap beds and baited the areas. Found some really good beaver sign so that's a plus for more bait. Getting close to start setting traps.
Whirlwind is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2014, 12:05 AM   #205
Whirlwind
Ten Point

here are a few yote/cat traps I was getting organized. Got to add some more chain and drags on some traps.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #206
Stxranchhand
Nubbin' Buck

Thumbs up

Something tells me you didn't toss that intro together good video on quick easy leads. I started with those style cable cutters but these are the berries.

I have the more expensive Felco brand as well, but these are 1/3 the price for the same performance if you cut ONLY cable. 1x19 or 7x7 strand. I get em here http://lmrtackle.com/boone-cable-cut...ol-cutter.aspx

Lookin like some fur catchin there whirlwind. I know I'm looking forward to the season for sure!
Stxranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2014, 07:41 AM   #207
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Looking good Whirlwind!!!

And yes, I do need new cable cutters, thanks for the lead!! I have had those for quite a while..

We had some places scouted out for beaver, but in the past 3 months they have gone dry and the beaver have moved on..

I will be hitting the river next week for a quick test, or I might go out today and drop a few water sets to see what the guard hair and leather look like..

Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 10-01-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #208
LonghornTX
Six Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt, Guadalupe Counties

Like a lot of people, I only make it out to the ranch every few weeks for the weekend. The coons spin a lot of corn out of my feeder and I'm starting to use DP traps on them. Moving into deer season, I'm worried about trapping and hunting at the same time. That is, I don't feel I can let up on trapping (we have too many coons to ever trap enough), but can I put DP traps out near where I am hunting? I'll be hunting on a deer trail probably 200 yards through the woods from the feeder. I wouldn't check the traps until after the morning hunt, so would a trapped coon give me problems 200 yards away? Noise, scent, etc.?
LonghornTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #209
Patton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTX View Post
Like a lot of people, I only make it out to the ranch every few weeks for the weekend. The coons spin a lot of corn out of my feeder and I'm starting to use DP traps on them. Moving into deer season, I'm worried about trapping and hunting at the same time. That is, I don't feel I can let up on trapping (we have too many coons to ever trap enough), but can I put DP traps out near where I am hunting? I'll be hunting on a deer trail probably 200 yards through the woods from the feeder. I wouldn't check the traps until after the morning hunt, so would a trapped coon give me problems 200 yards away? Noise, scent, etc.?
I think you will be fine. Obviously if you want the coons to not spin feeders- take them all out. In the mean time you can put up the eliminator spin plate and varmint cages (if you haven't already).
Old 10-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #210
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

The trapped coon wont give you any issues, its just another critter in the woods to the deer..

And like mentioned above, taking measures to prevent the coons from doing damage or feeding is the quickest way to slow their assault on the feeders and your feed bill.

Then if you are still worried about feed loss keep trapping them or wait till after season and go full tilt on them..

Coon jobs have became one of my favorites..I can wipe coons out fairly quickly in a few days..
Old 10-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #211
Patton
Pope & Young

Quote:
The trapped coon wont give you any issues, its just another critter in the woods to the deer..

And like mentioned above, taking measures to prevent the coons from doing damage or feeding is the quickest way to slow their assault on the feeders and your feed bill.

Then if you are still worried about feed loss keep trapping them or wait till after season and go full tilt on them..

Coon jobs have became one of my favorites..I can wipe coons out fairly quickly in a few days..

Hypothetical question I suppose, but on 600 acres how many coon traps would you put out on a paid job?
Old 10-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #212
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Hypothetical question I suppose, but on 600 acres how many coon traps would you put out on a paid job?

All of them..

I'm running 48 right now and will be picking up another 24 before season is over.

Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 10-01-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #213
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Elkhart, Splendora, Laneville & Throckmorton

Alot of good info here....thanks for the thread. I've gotten really intersted in learning how to trap the last couple of years. I guess i'm not sure how to get started. I'm gonna follow this thread for sure
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #214
Patton
Pope & Young

Quote:
All of them..

I'm running 48 right now and will be picking up another 24 before season is over.

That must be some work but also rewarding and fun.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:41 PM   #215
Fergeris
Ten Point

I love those duke dps easy to set an quick you can set them pretty quick. How many do you set around say a feeder or one spot tuff?
Old 10-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #216
LonghornTX
Six Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt, Guadalupe Counties

Thanks for the help, guys. As always, sound advice from the GS.
LonghornTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #217
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergeris View Post
I love those duke dps easy to set an quick you can set them pretty quick. How many do you set around say a feeder or one spot tuff?

Feeders and Protein stations I usually drop 4 and keep some distance between them...greedy coons will have a nice trap on each front foot if ya don't and cut down on your daily harvest.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #218
Fergeris
Ten Point

Quote:
Feeders and Protein stations I usually drop 4 and keep some distance between them...greedy coons will have a nice trap on each front foot if ya don't and cut down on your daily harvest.
Lol that's true. I need to try to work them over this year.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #219
Stxranchhand
Nubbin' Buck

If you set the trails on the way to feeder and not directly at the feeder you'll have more consistent success. Snares or ztraps if youre going to have more than one check night, I do better in the trails. For some reason the location tends to go dead when you're on top of the feeder. Just what ive noticed, in different terrain types too. Like dale said keep them far enough to where they can't get caught in two traps, 2 traps = 2 coon not 1 coon plugin up both.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:09 AM   #220
Stxranchhand
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Next Wed.....Is the start of commercial season for beaver only.

Anyone going to go out and test the water?

I plan on putting out about 6 sets on Wed. then pull them the very next morning, should have 3-4 beaver easy.

Thursday going to skin, flesh and put them on boards to see how the leather is looking as well as the guard hair and underfur is developing.

Depending on how they look will dictate on whether the following Monday we will go full tilt on them..

How do the beaver look Dale?
Old 10-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #221
JacobTyler
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Just picked up a few more DP's cant wait for season to start!
JacobTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #222
Stxranchhand
Nubbin' Buck

What kind did you pick up Jacobtyler? I'm partial to the z's but have caught coon in the grizz and duke brands as well. I like the z's whether they're the old straight trigger or the newer cross trigger they have out. I have heard good things about daggers, lol, until recently there was some disturbance at a Kansas trapping convention.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #223
Shurshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio/Zavala county

Yotes been out smarting us on the snares we run on our fence line. So started using leg hold traps. Caught 2 last week.
Shurshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #224
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Barnum (Polk County)

Shurshot... what size/type it that leghold on that Coyotes leg? That is a big boy trap.
Anvilheadtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #225
Stxranchhand
Nubbin' Buck

Good deal shurshot! Threw the steel to them and got em! I usually like those fences for yote snaring, but cats and coons seem to go through where they please for the most part.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #226
JacobTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
What kind did you pick up Jacobtyler? I'm partial to the z's but have caught coon in the grizz and duke brands as well. I like the z's whether they're the old straight trigger or the newer cross trigger they have out. I have heard good things about daggers, lol, until recently there was some disturbance at a Kansas trapping convention.

My local feed store only carries the bridger traps so that what ive got. Ive only got a small amount now but if i start catching tons of coons im sure it wont take me long to buy a larger amount
Old 10-06-2014, 10:50 PM   #227
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
How do the beaver look Dale?

We went out and looked at some of our scouted out places that held good sized beaver and they had all went dry in the last few months.

So I had to put things off till tomorrow, I'll be hitting the river in the morning and dropping out my test sets to see how they are progressing, hoping the guard hair and under fur/leather look good enough to slide into the first auction coming up, but I'm really after the meat to make my bait out out of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobTyler View Post
Just picked up a few more DP's cant wait for season to start!
Congrats on the new traps, I'm really partial to the Freedom Brand FB1's but most any DP will get the job done.

Matter of fact I will be shooting a short video tomorrow about Dp's and the anchoring system that I use..

Congrats on the yotes Shurshot!

Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 10-06-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #228
JacobTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
We went out and looked at some of our scouted out places that held good sized beaver and they had all went dry in the last few months.

So I had to put things off till tomorrow, I'll be hitting the river in the morning and dropping out my test sets to see how they are progressing, hoping the guard hair and under fur/leather look good enough to slide into the first auction coming up, but I'm really after the meat to make my bait out out of.

Congrats on the new traps, I'm really partial to the Freedom Brand FB1's but most any DP will get the job done.

Matter of fact I will be shooting a short video tomorrow about Dp's and the anchoring system that I use..

Congrats on the yotes Shurshot!

Post up a link when you get the video made! Id be interested in seeing it
Old 10-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #229
Whirlwind
Ten Point

Got a bunch more drags added to my yote/cat traps. Hopefully it will start cooling off so I can start setting a few to see how the fur looks. I am getting excited to start hitting it. Picked up a few different baits and lures to try this year so we shall see how it goes. I know the wife isn't too happy about the smells.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #230
doublebfarms
Four Point

Hunt In: Burleson county, San Saba County

just got my traps in, gonna start next week, hopefully cooler weather is on the way help out the furs a lil bit.
doublebfarms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #231
Flint knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

All I can do is think about trapping until the weather turns cold to make sure all the hides are prime. Just prepping traps and getting my lures ready until it's go time.
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #232
Stxranchhand
Nubbin' Buck

If you're wanting the good fur. Wait til after thanksgiving. If you're just wanting to get rid of some varmints then hammer away! Technically footholds can't be used til nov 1 unless the animals are causing damage. Just FYI.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #233
Stxranchhand
Nubbin' Buck

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobTyler View Post
My local feed store only carries the bridger traps so that what ive got. Ive only got a small amount now but if i start catching tons of coons im sure it wont take me long to buy a larger amount
Cool I haven't had those in my hands yet. I hear guys like the circle trigger on em
Old 10-07-2014, 11:30 PM   #234
JacobTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
Cool I haven't had those in my hands yet. I hear guys like the circle trigger on em

Ill have to report back and let you know how i like them. Thats one thing i think im going to like about it is the circle trigger.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #235
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Dang it I'm jealous!!!!

A good friend and mentor of mine is working a predator job in Alabama this week and caught this black phase coyote.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #236
Fergeris
Ten Point

That's a cool looking yote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #237
doublebfarms
Four Point

Hunt In: Burleson county, San Saba County

Quote:
If you're wanting the good fur. Wait til after thanksgiving. If you're just wanting to get rid of some varmints then hammer away! Technically footholds can't be used til nov 1 unless the animals are causing damage. Just FYI.
yup, pretty much trying to get rid of some coons caught like 20 last year, only trap on 30 acres.. pretty amazed lol.
doublebfarms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #238
Stxranchhand
Nubbin' Buck

That's agood catch on 30 acres for sure double b! Anyone else seen these raccoons in east Texas taking over this convenience store parking lot ? Lol that'd be a location to gang set with some Ztraps! The buddy who told me about this place said someone had already gotten in trouble trying to trap these little boogers without permission.
http://m.nydailynews.com/news/nation...icle-1.1549488
Old 10-16-2014, 12:29 AM   #239
Whirlwind
Ten Point

Itching to get some steel in the ground but it's been dang hot here still. I may head out next week though and put some traps out. Will report when I do.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #240
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

So for the lack of posts brothers, been pretty busy with various jobs..

I got a call from one of my Clients last night "Dale, there is really loud growling out by my chicken pen, I think you caught my problem"

I told her that I would be right over to take care of the critter, and the mini me wanted to ride shotgun with me to see what was making all the racket..

Turned out to be a 32lb Bobcat...

Full Rosette spots also..

Old 10-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #241
TexasBear
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado

That is a big cat!
TexasBear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #242
Fergeris
Ten Point

Man that's a big pretty cat. Good job brotha
Old 10-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #243
Stxranchhand
Nubbin' Buck

Nice catch. Usually the coons raiding the chicken coop. Always nice to get a kitty.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #244
Stros
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt, Texas and Galveston Bay

Wow big cat! congrats
Stros is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #245
ElCid07
Six Point

Hunt In: Graham, Jacksonville, Naples

Wow! Purdy!
ElCid07 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #246
Patton
Pope & Young

Great cat Tuff. That Rosetta sure is pretty.
I remember you caught at least one Rosetta pattern last year, but how often do you catch them? 1/30 cats? 50?
Old 10-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #247
powderburner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Zapata-San Ygnacio

that is a great cat.
powderburner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2014, 05:51 PM   #248
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Great looking cat !
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #249
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Great cat Tuff. That Rosetta sure is pretty.
I remember you caught at least one Rosetta pattern last year, but how often do you catch them? 1/30 cats? 50?

I have caught 100's of cats over the years...

Only 2 of them have rosette spots...

In person they are a really beautiful cat.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #250
Nailhead
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson Co.

Hey fellas! Glad I came across this thread. I've never really had a piece of property that I could try trapping on, but have been interested in it for a long time. Last year my folks picked up a 100 acres in Anderson County that we are starting to hunt on. The place has 2 lakes on it, one 2.5 acre and one 4.5 acre. There were several beavers on the place when they bought it, Mom hired a biologist/trapper to come in and try to get them out cause they had been doing some damage for quite a while. He got one good sized one, but they have seem to have moved on for now. I want to try my hand at trapping them myself if they come back.

Also, we have coons out the wazoo and they need to go. They eat from the feeders regularly and even have pictures this past week of a coon running off a buck out from under the protein feeder. Time to put a stop to that. The folks picked up a couple live traps from TSC while they were in town one day. I plan on putting it out there, but not sure how successful or how long it will be successful. So I am thinking about picking up some DP traps and seeing if I can make at least a small dent in the population.

I really don't have any use for the furs and don't have the space right now at the property to setup for skinning and working the hides. If anyone is in or around Anderson county(Palestine/Elkhart) area I would be happy to hand over what I trap rather than letting them go to waste. Of course at that point I am not sure if I would need to have a trappers license or not. I need to go read those rules again, it's been a few years since I looked them over.

Last edited by Nailhead; 10-20-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top