Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 03-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #51
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Sounds good man, good luck with it. I wanted to plant some persimmon trees this spring but am going to wait till the fall, and will probably add some apple trees to it as well.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #52
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
Sounds good man, good luck with it. I wanted to plant some persimmon trees this spring but am going to wait till the fall, and will probably add some apple trees to it as well.
Here's some links when you're ready to start
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1513490
http://www.wildlifegrowers.com/Quali...e_orchards.pdf
Excellent info in those^^^^
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #53
HappyM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

great story and best of success. love when the fire is lit!
HappyM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #54
jshouse
Pope & Young

Thanks guys and thanks for the links. The fire is lit, fo sho. Cant wait to go check the cams next week and get to some shed hunting.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #55
jshouse
Pope & Young

well he shed one side, and these are the only two pics i got of him this week due to a non-flashing camera...which angers me to no end lol.

looks like i will be doing some walking next week when i make it back out there.

we rolled up at 1120a yesterday, 40 mins after the love of my life sauntered away..

Old 03-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #56
SuperExotics
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green

Hes a stud!
SuperExotics is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #57
jshouse
Pope & Young

well i went down friday to mow before i spray this week and found that someone stole the battery and radiator out of of my unlces tractor...mf.

so, i am going to spray tuesday and have it mowed and tilled on monday the 8th, weather permitting. should be planting either monday after the till or tueday the 9th.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #58
Flint knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

I think you have a coon problem. Other than that, Good hunting and be sure and take some kill shot pics!
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #59
jshouse
Pope & Young

yeah i have some pics with up to 13 in one pic. my batteries started going bad this past week so my night pics were all bad but i thought this one was cool...

Old 04-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #60
jshouse
Pope & Young

Met with the biologist today to get the wildlife exemption process started. He recommended cedar and black locust tree control and some prescribed burning next winter after the season.

Was going to try to spray today so i could till and plant next week but the rain changed the plans and is gonna push everything back another week or so. Should get it sprayed by this weekend and tilled and planted about a week after that.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #61
SuperExotics
Pope & Young

Just remember on a smaller place cover is key. Dont go thinning it too much just because a biologist recommended it.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #62
jshouse
Pope & Young

yeah, i plan on keeping the sanctuary as thick as possible and really just plan on targeting the cedars that are underneath and around the oaks. the black locust can all die for all i care...lol, and there are only about 15-20 of them anyway.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #63
Moose
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood/Wise County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippy View Post
Just remember on a smaller place cover is key. Dont go thinning it too much just because a biologist recommended it.
Exactly, what does a biologist know about wildlife anyway
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #64
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Exactly, what does a biologist know about wildlife anyway
A biologist may or may not have your goals for the property in mind......
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #65
Moose
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
A biologist may or may not have your goals for the property in mind......
So are you saying it might go like this......you call the biologist out to your property and tell he/she "I want to make my place a deer hunting/ wildlife heaven, how would I go about doing so?" Then the said biologist may purposely lead you in the wrong direction?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #66
SuperExotics
Pope & Young

Theres no need for those kind of comments...

All im saying is every biologist has their style, and some may not be in line with your plans and goals.

That is why you bring them out to consult, not hire them to manage your ranch.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #67
Moose
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippy View Post
Theres no need for those kind of comments...

All im saying is every biologist has their style, and some may not be in line with your plans and goals.

That is why you bring them out to consult, not hire them to manage your ranch.
So if you can't trust a biologist whom's profession is to provide the public with accurate and site specific advice when given a clear goal or intent, who then can you rely on?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #68
SuperExotics
Pope & Young

Quote:
So if you can't trust a biologist whom's profession is to provide the public with accurate and site specific advice when given a clear goal or intent, who then can you rely on?

You can trust them, but all have different opinions. Some say to kill all spikes, others leave them alone. One might invision clearing all the cedars, another might invision planting sawtooth oaks.

I am only a year out from becoming a certified wildlife biologist, and the numbers of opinions on things between my peers is vast.

Take it for what it is worth but obviously (since im in the process of becoming one) i am not saying not to listen to them. Absorb what they say and apply it to fit your vision.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #69
unclefish
Pope & Young

Quote:
So are you saying it might go like this......you call the biologist out to your property and tell he/she "I want to make my place a deer hunting/ wildlife heaven, how would I go about doing so?" Then the said biologist may purposely lead you in the wrong direction?
I'm saying that a biologist may have differing opinions on how to achieve their view of a "deer hunting / wildlife heaven". Don't blindly follow him just because he has "biologist" in his title.

For example I had a biologist come to my place when I was trying to convert to a wildlife exemption. He told me I needed to clear out lots of mesquites and honey locust in one area. I wanted that area as thick as possible because I wanted to make it a deer bedding area. He said my place was too small to make an effective bedding area.

So of course I did not take his advice and thickened it up by hinge cutting the crap out of that area. It is thick as heck in there and now it is a fantastic bedding area. Lots of deer pour out of that bedding area in the evenings. They never did before I hinged it!!

jshouse I apologize if we are highjacking your thread.

Last edited by unclefish; 04-04-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #70
jshouse
Pope & Young

no highjacking here sir, this is a discussion forum and stuff like this benefits everyone.

i agree with unclefish and sippy, the biologists' intent is to make your placea "WILDLIFE heaven," not necessarily a DEER heaven. the management plan is broken into 7 parts and to qualify you have to be doing at least 3 of the parts in a manner that suit TPWD to qualify for the exemption.

part of my plan that is providing bird houses and owl boxes around the property, another part is using a bucket on a tractor and enlarging several small low spots i have that hold water, he advised making them up to a foot deeper and 10-20ft longer to make them more attractive for small animals and amphibians/reptiles.

he also suggested easy things to do to improve my habitat for rabbits, squirrels, etc.

so it was obvious that he/they (TWPD) is more concerned with the overall wildlife appeal of the place and not JUST the appeal for whitetails, which is fine and in the long run will make my place even more enjoyable, but i will still be implementing whitetail specific improvements i have picked up as well that he may not have been totally on board with.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #71
Moose
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
no highjacking here sir, this is a discussion forum and stuff like this benefits everyone.

i agree with unclefish and sippy, the biologists' intent is to make your placea "WILDLIFE heaven," not necessarily a DEER heaven. the management plan is broken into 7 parts and to qualify you have to be doing at least 3 of the parts in a manner that suit TPWD to qualify for the exemption.

part of my plan that is providing bird houses and owl boxes around the property, another part is using a bucket on a tractor and enlarging several small low spots i have that hold water, he advised making them up to a foot deeper and 10-20ft longer to make them more attractive for small animals and amphibians/reptiles.

he also suggested easy things to do to improve my habitat for rabbits, squirrels, etc.

so it was obvious that he/they (TWPD) is more concerned with the overall wildlife appeal of the place and not JUST the appeal for whitetails, which is fine and in the long run will make my place even more enjoyable, but i will still be implementing whitetail specific improvements i have picked up as well that he may not have been totally on board with.
Thank you, this is the response I was looking for to make sense of it. I was going off the premise that you had contacted the biologist for advice on primarily improving your property for deer hunting not just for the wildlife exemption standpoint.

Just to give a little background on why I was so concerned with the thought process that was being shown here-

I actually worked with the Ag extension agency for more than 3 years across the state of TX while I was at TAMU getting my degree in Rangeland Ecology and Management (wildlife forage emphasis) as well as Agronomy. Although I dealt more with research and development of new wildlife and livestock forage strategies I interacted with extension biologists nearly daily. Most if not all the ones I dealt with we're big hunters and loved setting management plans in place for fellow hunters in need of direction.

But again I digress I appreciate the response and can now understand why some of the comments were made.

Last edited by Moose; 04-04-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #72
law1piv
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grimes Cnty,and Sam Forrest

Lots of Nice Deer
law1piv is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #73
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thank you, this is the response I was looking for to make sense of it. I was going off the premise that you had contacted the biologist for advice on primarily improving your property for deer hunting not just for the wildlife exemption standpoint.

Just to give a little background on why I was so concerned with the thought process that was being shown here-

I actually worked with the Ag extension agency for more than 3 years across the state of TX while I was at TAMU getting my degree in Rangeland Ecology and Management (wildlife forage emphasis) as well as Agronomy. Although I dealt more with research and development of new wildlife and livestock forage strategies I interacted with extension biologists nearly daily. Most if not all the ones I dealt with we're big hunters and loved setting management plans in place for fellow hunters in need of direction.

But again I digress I appreciate the response and can now understand why some of the comments were made.
no prob man, it is all helpful info for people in this boat.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #74
STONE KILLER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass county

Nice deer! Pm sent
STONE KILLER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #75
jshouse
Pope & Young

thanks, pms returned...
Old 04-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #76
jshouse
Pope & Young

i got some round-up out on saturday and sprayed it all down again today, really wish i could have gotten planted today, like i had planned to, with the rain coming tomorrow. gonna give the spray another week and till and plant either next monday or tuesday.

all the bucks have dropped antlers now, only found one pair of small 8pt sheds so far.

will hopefully get most of my cutting done next week so i can leave everything alone for the rest of the summer with hopes of establishing that sanctuary i am looking for.

will update with pics next week, if all goes to plan.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #77
Rodney Bauer
Four Point

Hunt In: Juno crossing Tx, Granada Ms, anywhere

Nice place.
Rodney Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #78
jshouse
Pope & Young

well i got the plot tilled but ran out of time to plant today, will be back down tomorrow morning to plant and clear out a few more trees, really hoping the rain on wed and thurs holds up. i will get some pics up tomorrow of the plot.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #79
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hate it when time runs out! Hope you get-r-done tomorrow.....it should be a good rain this week. So far the spring has had pretty good timely rains.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #80
jshouse
Pope & Young

Yeah well the thermostat stuck on the tractor and it started running hot so we lost some time....always something it seems.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #81
jshouse
Pope & Young

Got'er done today, forgot the camera so here are a few phone pics...these are from the middle of the horseshoe, looking southwest and northwest down the lanes...

Need that rain...
Old 04-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #82
jshouse
Pope & Young

In the second pic, the plot opens up pretty good back to the left around that brush.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #83
SuperExotics
Pope & Young

Looks good!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #84
Rwc
Ten Point

You are on the right track.

Hope all works out well, come on rain!

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #85
jshouse
Pope & Young

Thanks guys, i actually ended up using all of my spring mix on about 3/4 of an acre and filled in the rest with some soybeans and a little bit of corn. I used my clover and chicory mix in the little "coves" at the ends of the horseshoes and two other small blocks, instead of as a border around the plot like i had planned.

I will make sure to get some pics with the camera next week.

Rain, rain, rain..
Old 04-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #86
jshouse
Pope & Young

here a few pics from today, i was glad to see the beans and peas coming up, the clover is a bit slower but is starting to sprout, especially in the shaded areas. the soybean side is coming in even better than this side but i forgot to take pics...

i planted on 4/16.

this is the side with the turner spring mix, i also through out a few extra pounds of soybeans in there...

same side of the plot...

and a close up of whats coming up...

i was pretty happy with it, just hoping now that the deer will leave it alone for another couple weeks and let it grow.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #87
jshouse
Pope & Young

going through some old pics i found a video i watched again yesterday, it was from august of 2012. i dont know how (must have missed this video somehow) but i never noticed that my big buck is walking around in the background...

Old 04-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #88
unclefish
Pope & Young

Cool vid! He looks like he's about to cause some trouble.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #89
Outback77
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Azle, Caddo, Barksdale and anywhere I get invited

Following...great write up and pics
Outback77 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #90
huntnfishtex
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Childress, lampasas, burnet Granger

looks great man! you have some studs running around out there
huntnfishtex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #91
southtexaslayer
Six Point

Hunt In: George West Tx

great story and hella good deer! gonna be a fun season for you this upcoming year!
southtexaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #92
jshouse
Pope & Young

thanks guys
Old 04-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #93
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

You have one heck of a set up! Congrats and good luck!
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #94
Cstat_hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Robertson, Brazos, and Milam Countys.

Did you ever find any sheds out there from that stud?
Cstat_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #95
jshouse
Pope & Young

heck no, i found one matching set from a small 8pter and a few small forks but nothing from the bigger bucks. i have cameras out around the property right now trying to find where he is bedding, i was never able to nail down a good trail for him last year and am hoping to this summer.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #96
Cstat_hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Robertson, Brazos, and Milam Countys.

I have a little piece of heaven like that to hunt too, but in the last several months the deer have just totally vanished. It's weird I would have 300-400 pictures on the trail cam every week or two now its literally nothing. I just don't get why!
Cstat_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #97
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: A pop up Blind in East Texas

I've noticed deer tend to disappear from my place at certain times as well. I like to think they "migrate" to a spot for the spring and another area during the winter at times. This may only be a mile or 2, but I always see different deer in the winter.
EastTexasMan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #98
jshouse
Pope & Young

the bigger bucks on my place tend to stay close and eat all my food all spring and summer and then disappear once bow season starts, which is why i am trying some new tactics for improving my feed and bedding areas. the does are there all year except for about 4-6 weeks in october/november after the acorns crop, they are very hit and miss until the acorns are gone then they show back up.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #99
SuperExotics
Pope & Young

Have much of any antler growth yet?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #100
unclefish
Pope & Young

My place is just the opposite.....I hardly see any mature bucks during the spring/summer but come Sept I start seeing lots of different bucks all the way until spring warmup.

They definitely have their seasonal patterns. I've only owned my place for 3 years now and I'm hoping to change that over time with offering them as much year round food as I can in one location every single year.