Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 01-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #51
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TradAg02 View Post
I pulled one up yesterday. Tried to be careful, but snapped the root. Went ahead and dug the rest of the root out and found that it had grown all the way to the bottom of the container. Just a long tap root, no branching or significant “hairs” yet.

This morning I had 7 that were showing .5”-1” stalks.

Right now I have ~100 live oaks planted. Once I transition these into larger pots I would like to start some of the other oaks that I have in the fridge. Is there a minimum or maximum time that I should leave acorns in the fridge?
I'm not sure on the time in the fridge but put them in ziplocks with a perlite/peat moss mix and wet them. You can monitor when they sprout alot better than if they are planted. Once they sprout in the fridge I would pull them out and start them growing.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #52
unclefish
Pope & Young

So far in this batch of 36 nuts I have 29 growing shoots.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1357576864872.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  96.0 KB

Tapachat
Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #53
SuperExotics
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green

Might have missed it, but when do you plan on planting them?
SuperExotics is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #54
unclefish
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippy View Post
Might have missed it, but when do you plan on planting them?
Late March/Early April....depending on the weather.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #55
SuperExotics
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green

Do you have any other projects going on at your place?
SuperExotics is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #56
TradAg02
Ten Point

Looking good. I hope my cells look like that in another week or two.

I added moss and some moisture to the acorns in my fridge. My wife didn’t appreciate the additional space I was taking up so I moved them to the fridge in my office. Now my hunting room looks like a grow room and my office fridge looks like a science experiment.
TradAg02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #57
unclefish
Pope & Young

Lots of projects....just not much money....lol. I'm about to plant 500 Virginia Pine seedlings for a visual screen for the food plots from my neighbor....although I have great neighbors. They make great Christmas trees in 3 years and don't get as tall as loblollies.

My neighbor high fenced his small place (70 acres) last year and he stocked it full of deer and exotics. So now he feeds alot in his truck and it tends to disturb my back food plot when they see his truck.

Fencing, bulldozing, pig trapping, are all on the list as well!

Lol TradAg02. My wife and kids just laugh at me every morning when I check on my baby chestnut trees. I'm running out of room too.

Last edited by unclefish; 01-07-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #58
KevinG
Six Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Panhandle, OK
Default Tree's

Very good Thread!!! Thanks for all of the great info.. I will attemping my hand at growing when I get more time.... Let me know if you end up with more than you want I would be interested in purchasing 5 to 10 if you have them left over...
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #59
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

great thread
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #60
Jet Black
Ten Point

Hunt In: n/a

Very cool unclefish. If you have extra, I'd love to buy some as well.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #61
TradAg02
Ten Point

Unclefish,

I see that you use the cheaper rootmaker cells. I have both the cheaper cells and the more expensive cells. The more expensive cells are individual units so it is easer to work with individuals cells. Do you have any tips for removing and transplanting individual plants from the cheaper cells without damaging those around them? My only experience has been in landscaping and gardening where I just turn the container upside down. That is obviously not an option with the cheaper cells.

I have my cells setup indoors so I am utilizing a double bulb 4’ fluorescent light (daylight bulbs) on a timer about 2’ above the trays. The new trees are growing towards the center of the light. I have rearranged the more expensive cells individually and have spun the trays on the cheaper cells to offset the bend. Should I even be concerned with the lean? Would it be better to just raise the light?

Thanks for the information you have provided here and in your other threads.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #62
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
You got it. I'll post some updates as they grow and when I transplant them to my farm.

I'm sure I'll have some failures along the way but hopefully y'all learn from my mistakes.
Pretty cool. What is the soil like where you plan on putting them? What is the growth rate? How well do they do with moisture versus draught tolerance?

Subscribed and watching!
Chad C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #63
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Late March/Early April....depending on the weather.
Your not going to try to grow them past sapling in bigger pots?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #64
dragonsdaddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: llano

Quote:
Looking good. I hope my cells look like that in another week or two.

I added moss and some moisture to the acorns in my fridge. My wife didn’t appreciate the additional space I was taking up so I moved them to the fridge in my office. Now my hunting room looks like a grow room and my office fridge looks like a science experiment.
stay away from peat moss. it holds water but retards/stops growth. that is why you find things from the stone ages still looking new in peat bogs.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Peat-Moss-...tive_vq128.htm
dragonsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #65
catfishryan
Eight Point

Hunt In: clay county, bell county, lake whitney,Kansas, everywhere i can
Default Project: Growing Chestnuts - better than acorns

if im gonna plant mine the first year i move them into 3 gallon roottrapper 2 containers and then plant them in the fall(more moisture in the fall and has more time to get established before summer drought). if i am going to grow them for 2 or more years i will go from the cells straight into 15 gallon roottrapper 2.
catfishryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #66
unclefish
Pope & Young

Quote:
Unclefish,

I see that you use the cheaper rootmaker cells. I have both the cheaper cells and the more expensive cells. The more expensive cells are individual units so it is easer to work with individuals cells. Do you have any tips for removing and transplanting individual plants from the cheaper cells without damaging those around them? My only experience has been in landscaping and gardening where I just turn the container upside down. That is obviously not an option with the cheaper cells.

I have my cells setup indoors so I am utilizing a double bulb 4’ fluorescent light (daylight bulbs) on a timer about 2’ above the trays. The new trees are growing towards the center of the light. I have rearranged the more expensive cells individually and have spun the trays on the cheaper cells to offset the bend. Should I even be concerned with the lean? Would it be better to just raise the light?

Thanks for the information you have provided here and in your other threads.
This is actually the first time I have used the rootmakers so I'm learning as I go. These rootmakers are somewhat flexible and once the tree gets big enough to transplant you simply go underneath and flex the bottom and sides while gently pulling the seedling out by the base of its roots. I have not heard anyone complain about problems transplanting on the QDMA forum. You could certainly cut them into single pots as you are right...they are cheap plastic.

Yes I move the trees around so that they don't have bends. I would keep the light as close as possible to the trees. Everything I've read on it is those lights are good but it still does not compare to the energy they get from sunlight.....so they say to keep the lights close. I have been moving mine outside on warm days for an hour or two to get the real thing. But be careful not to leave them too long or they will fry.

When they get a little bigger I will put a fan on them to simulate wind and they will develop a stronger trunk.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #67
unclefish
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
Pretty cool. What is the soil like where you plan on putting them? What is the growth rate? How well do they do with moisture versus draught tolerance?

Subscribed and watching!
Good sandy loam. They like sandy more than thick clay soils.

Growth rate is several feet a year. Several of the guys on another forum says they have 20 foots trees in 6-7 years. They start making chestnuts at 3-4 years.

They have good drought resistance but like any first year seedlings they need TLC. After the first year they should thrive unless we get another bad drought then watering is needed. They actually don't like too much water and so they need to be planted in a spot with good drainage.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #68
unclefish
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
Your not going to try to grow them past sapling in bigger pots?
Some of them yes but the bulk of them probably not. I'll put them in tree tubes and watch them closely.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #69
unclefish
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsdaddy View Post
stay away from peat moss. it holds water but retards/stops growth. that is why you find things from the stone ages still looking new in peat bogs.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Peat-Moss-...tive_vq128.htm
I used a mix of spangham peat moss and perlite for the Chestnuts and poked holes in the ziplock bag. They need to be damp and the perlite helps get air to them without growing mold. I had over 90% of them sprout so far.

I've got the same thing going for the sawtooth acorns but I just put them in the fridge a few weeks ago. We will see if it works for them too.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #70
unclefish
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishryan View Post
if im gonna plant mine the first year i move them into 3 gallon roottrapper 2 containers and then plant them in the fall(more moisture in the fall and has more time to get established before summer drought). if i am going to grow them for 2 or more years i will go from the cells straight into 15 gallon roottrapper 2.
That's a good plan. I will do a few in root trappers as well... but I've got 80+ trees and that would break the bank and cause domestic trouble!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #71
unclefish
Pope & Young

FYI they have alot of American and Chinese Chestnut seeds on eBay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...tnut&_osacat=0

I bought Dunstan seeds which is a cross between an American and a Chinese Chestnut. Personally I'd buy the American over the Chinese.

Its interesting that the American Chestnut was king of the forest in the eastern US but was all but wiped out by chestnut blight brought over from Asian trees. Its crazy to look how big those trees were! http://www.nature.com/news/plant-sci...ection-1.11504

The Dunstan variety is blight resistant.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #72
catfishryan
Eight Point

Quote:
That's a good plan. I will do a few in root trappers as well... but I've got 80+ trees and that would break the bank and cause domestic trouble!
trust me i know what u mean. they are very expensive. i try my best to get the tree out with out damaging the container. so far i have been able to reuse them all
Old 01-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #73
unclefish
Pope & Young

Here is a good video that goes into detail how to grow them.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #74
catfishryan
Eight Point

heres my whitetrash back yard setup. of course all the leaves have fell. the ones in the white roottappers were planted this year, the ones in the tubs were started last year in rootmaker trays -3 gallon roottrappers-tubs this year. one chinquapin oak is 13 feet tall. in 1.5 years. some that i planted last fall and are 2.5 yrs already made an acorn or 2Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358015122.611824.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  76.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358015141.118423.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  89.5 KB[ATTACH]442591[/ATTACH
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358015205.419572.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  44.4 KB
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #75
catfishryan
Eight Point

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358015288.548652.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  44.4 KB
Old 01-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #76
unclefish
Pope & Young

Looks good Ryan. That crazy growth on that one! Are those Chinkapins or Dwarf Chinkapins?

Where did you get your acorns?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #77
catfishryan
Eight Point

these are chinquapins, i did order and plant 50 dwarf chinquapins this spring, they were bareroot and i lost most. i think about 20 made it. i am curious to see how they do in texas in my black dirt im getting a lease in kansas for next year and plan on finding alot of dco acorns up there. i like to get all my acorns my self from local trees that way i can choose from certain characteristics in the parent tree. even if they arent native i know they will do well in my area
Old 01-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #78
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Good sandy loam. They like sandy more than thick clay soils.

Growth rate is several feet a year. Several of the guys on another forum says they have 20 foots trees in 6-7 years. They start making chestnuts at 3-4 years.

They have good drought resistance but like any first year seedlings they need TLC. After the first year they should thrive unless we get another bad drought then watering is needed. They actually don't like too much water and so they need to be planted in a spot with good drainage.
They would probably thrive where I would put them. I'm keeping an eye on this project.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #79
unclefish
Pope & Young

New pics of my babies...
I planted these on Dec 18. They get great southern sun in my daughter's bedroom. The neighbor asked her what was growing in the window....I bet the neighbor thought I had a "grow house" going.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #80
catfishryan
Eight Point

lookin good
Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #81
unclefish
Pope & Young

I have a few chestnuts that sprouted and start making a shoot but it would turn brown and not grow anymore. I knew it had a good root system so today I pulled one from one of my homemade rootmaker pots just to see what it looked like.

Pretty good root system for a month's growth.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #82
Chad C
Pope & Young

Nice and straight!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #83
cfree5119
Four Point

Did you fertilize these at all? If so, with what? Looks good! Don't have any extra Dunstan seeds you want to sell do you? Thanks.
cfree5119 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #84
Jet Black
Ten Point

Hunt In: n/a

Looking good!
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #85
unclefish
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfree5119 View Post
Did you fertilize these at all? If so, with what? Looks good! Don't have any extra Dunstan seeds you want to sell do you? Thanks.
I didn't fertilize them at all so far.

I have some seeds in the fridge right now. Let me check to see how many I have in there and if they have sprouted or not. Can't ship them if they have sprouted....but could do a pick up.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #86
cfree5119
Four Point

Thanks. Let me know.
cfree5119 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #87
br549redneck
Ten Point

Hunt In: no where this year

Great thread looking forward for the updates
br549redneck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #88
TradAg02
Ten Point

Pic of my “grow room.”

Some of the acorns in my rootmaker cells didn’t take and some of my styrofoam cups had roots beginning to curl so I transferred a few yesterday. I also took advantage of the warm weather and let them get some real sun and fresh air.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #89
TradAg02
Ten Point

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 995
Size:  69.9 KB
Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 977
Size:  74.2 KB
Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 1009
Size:  163.3 KB
Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #90
unclefish
Pope & Young

Lookin' good TradAg!

Sunlight = 10,000 better than grow lights.
Truly amazing.

Here are some examples of sunlight vs grow lights....updated pics of my Dunstan Chestnuts.

These have been in my daughter's window getting great southern sun for over a month.

These were planted a week later but have been on mostly grow lights. Huge difference in growth.

Get them in the sunlight whenever possible....but ease them into it of they have been inside for a while.

Last edited by unclefish; 01-27-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #91
SurroundedbyAGs
Four Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

this is one of the coolests threads ive seen.
SurroundedbyAGs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #92
SurroundedbyAGs
Four Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Is there an advantage to persimon vs chesutt?
SurroundedbyAGs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #93
unclefish
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurroundedbyAGs View Post
Is there an advantage to persimon vs chesutt?
I don't think that one has an advantage over the other.....the more variety you can provide for different times of the year the better. Deer love them both.

Chestnuts are early droppers and persimmons usually don't get ripe until after a frost.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #94
Dreamer1
Ten Point

How about an update in pics and progress
Dreamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #95
unclefish
Pope & Young

Well I have had some attrition due to neglect (busy at work) and I need to transfer some trees still in the root-maker cells to bigger pots. I've learned that transferring the trees from inside to outside successfully takes some time and effort. Easing them into sunlight takes about 2 weeks. I tried to do some within a week....and those lost their leaves...they are still alive and will grow them back but that takes energy away from growing the plant taller. Slower is better to get them used to direct sunlight.

They don't like alot of water either.....they do better when they don't have wet feet! This should bode well when I transplant them to my farm this fall.

I'll post some pics tomorrow. I also started some sawtooth oaks and they are doing great!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #96
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Subscribed.

This thread couldn't have turned up at a better time. Thanks!
Etxbuckman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #97
unclefish
Pope & Young

Pics of some of the good ones that I have been babying....
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1368974105824.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  50.6 KB

These are some that got too much sun too fast.....they will lose their leaves but will grow back.
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1368974165562.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  92.7 KB

Assorted mix of chestnuts and sawtooths.
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1368974249037.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  115.9 KB

I'm gonna wait to plant everything this fall.

Last edited by unclefish; 05-19-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #98
unclefish
Pope & Young

Oh another mistake I made was I got some lime on a few chestnut trees by mistake. They are doing very poorly. Chestnuts require and love acidic soil.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #99
Buck-Chaser
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sam Houston NF

How resistan are these trees to a hard freeze.
Buck-Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #100
unclefish
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck-Chaser View Post
How resistan are these trees to a hard freeze.
They are fine with freezes once established. They will drop leaves and go dormant in the fall.