Internet speed if cutting cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet speed if cutting cable

So I think we're going to take the plunge and cut the cable. We currently have att (direct tv) and I was wondering if we are going to stream movies and shows, what speed or mbps should we have so we won't lag. Our internet currently has 18 mbps and when we do stream a movie, it will lag every once in a while. What is everyone else using? Company? We're in San Antonio.

We're lucky here. ATT brought in their fiber optic lines last year. We now get over 100mbps. Not sure what you need but we don't have lag problems. :-) Might see if it is in your area. Our bill even went down when we signed up.

Comment

We're with Comcast and get around 250mbps. Only thing limiting us is the device we use to stream. I would imagine anything from 25mbps and up would be enough to stream multiple devices at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Our friend here said they have spectrum. Apparently they have 200 mbpm. What the heck is a mbpm. We're only really going no to use it to steam movies and shows. We really don't watch that much tv, but I would like to watch football games. Does it matter on mbpms to live stream versus recorded shows?

Comment

We've got ATT Uverse with the 18mbps package and while it's ok to watch netflix or amazon prime it struggles with the initial launch most of the time. It will take a couple of minutes to load the app and connect and then once you select a show it spins and things for another minute or two. Once it's playing though it almost never stalls.

I'm considering switching to xfinity but the customer service stories have a bit worried. But cutting the ATT bill by almost 50% for the same TV service with almost 10x more speed sure is tempting.

Comment

We have att fiber optic paired with google WiFi. We consistently get 850 Mbps and it’s a dream for streaming. I wasn’t all that impressed with it until I added Google WiFi because I had a hard time getting WiFi coverage over the whole house

Comment

Time warner now spectrum 100Mbps no wait on Netflix or Hulu I don't have tv service

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Phil View Post
                We've got ATT Uverse with the 18mbps package and while it's ok to watch netflix or amazon prime it struggles with the initial launch most of the time. It will take a couple of minutes to load the app and connect and then once you select a show it spins and things for another minute or two. Once it's playing though it almost never stalls.

I'm considering switching to xfinity but the customer service stories have a bit worried. But cutting the ATT bill by almost 50% for the same TV service with almost 10x more speed sure is tempting.

We did and haven’t looked back. Plus I get my Stros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have spectrum (215 mbps). Just cut our cable. We have sling tv with a couple add-ons. Also got Netflix for free, when I switched to T-Mobil cell service. We stream tv in multiple rooms, plus the kids use the Internet for games, etc. Never have any buffering or lag.

Comment

We also have the fire stick. We had Kodi on it, but it just stopped working. After doing a little google search, I downloaded terrarium and we love it. We also have Netflix and Hulu on there, but like I said previously, it tends to lag a bit.

Comment

We have AT&T’s 1GB plan and it runs 350-500mbs when I test it. Streams everything great as would be expected.

I would say minimun of 50mb to stream and if someone else is running a phone or a lab top.

We did spectrums 100mb previously and it did good also

Comment

Working...
                      X