Workbench 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workbench 2.0

My aspiring blacksmith, welder, electrician, and robotics inventor son requested something unique for his 12th birthday. New bike? Nope. Xbox games? Nope. Yet another NERF gun? Nope. He wanted a workbench. So, we’re building one together, and it’s gonna be awesome. After the casters are put on, the work surface will be 39” high, perfect for standing at or pulling up a stool. The bench top will be 4x2 of 1/4” plate. The frame is 1.5” tubing, 1/8” wall. The back legs are 6ft, which will allow him to have a 4x3 sheet of pegboard to hang his soldering iron and other tools. Up top will be a shelf wit a 4ft LED fixture to light his workspace. The bench will have a power strip, so he can plug his belt sander, radio, and fan straight in. Maybe a shelf underneath, and he’ll have room for two large tubs under as well. With over 200lbs of steel in it, this thing is going to be an absolute hoss. My boy is going to have a better work area than I do!

We’ve got the frame just about done. Taking a different approach this time. We’re tacking the entire thing together first, then we’ll go back in and weld it solid. I’m hoping this approach will minimize any distortion as we put in the welds. Will add pics as it comes together.

So nice to see kids ask for things like this instead of an Xbox game.

Comment

Hell yeah! My boy gettin after it with the Milwaukee portaband

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool build

Comment

Now he’s learning to tack in the pieces he cut himself

Comment

Uhhh. Whoops. Lol

Comment

Haha. That’s great

Comment

I love to see fathers and sons working together. It's a great experience that too few experience nowadays. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Awesome that he is learning a valuable skill

That whoops is a very easy fix

Comment

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.

Comment

That oops looks like something I would do.

Comment

The going has been slow with everything going on now that school started, but we are making the final push to try and finish it this weekend. Slowly coming together. We’re ready to put a flap disc on it and then paint it but there’s a poorly timed monsoon outside.

Still to do:
                        Paint
                        Casters on feet
                        Surge protector
                        Overhead light
                        Pegboard backing

Comment

Skipped the casters since it’s at the perfect height with just the feet.

Done!

Comment

Turned out great! I look forward to when my son is old enough to do this. Parenting done right

Comment

awesome build

Comment

Working...
                              X