No announcement yet.

Horny toad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this one in Three Rivers back in May.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tyler's Outdoor; 07-23-2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Loved these historic reptiles. Used to find them very abundant in Quanah, Texas as a kid. Hope they are making a comeback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by duckboy007 View Post
        If you don't see any of these around, you'll be hard pressed to see a horned toad.

Red harvester ants are their preferred prey. People spraying these ants or treating for fireants and the harvester ants get hit in the crossfire has likely made the biggest impact to horny toad number.
        That is what I've heard as well.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBlood View Post
          so what has happened to them over the years?
          The same thing that happened to quail. Loss of habitat due to Improved grasses. They can’t get around in Bermuda grass or Bahia grass or other similar grasses. That combined with people killing some of their preferred foods like stated above.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
            The same thing that happened to quail. Loss of habitat due to Improved grasses. They can’t get around in Bermuda grass or Bahia grass or other similar grasses. That combined with people killing some of their preferred foods like stated above.
            On the quail side as well, some years ago I read that the corn used in feeders has some kind of additive or herbicide mixture was causing a problem but I believe the corn folks have resolved that.

Comment

I knew of a 10 acre honey hole for them in Mercedes, but it was recently subdivided

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
                I've got em out in my place in haskell. Got a good picture of one the other week while out filling feeders up
                LOL! Don't let my daughter hear that or she'll be searching for those more often then she's trying to catch catfish out of the pond.

Richard.

Comment

When I was growing up, we would find them in Dallas near love field, and western oak cliff. As time passed, we saw less and less. Saw them lots around DeLeon in the 80's dove hunting. Last one I saw was 3 years ago north of Stamford.

Comment

Love these guys. I just had my logo made with one.

Comment

They have made a big comeback in west Texas over the past 3-4 years. See them pretty regular in Sterling and Irion Co.

Comment

Find a bunch north of three rivers. All sizes as well. One of my favorite critters

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                          They have made a big comeback in west Texas over the past 3-4 years. See them pretty regular in Sterling and Irion Co.
                          I was born in San Angelo, and my dad was from Rowena.
                          I remember playing with them when I was kid.

Comment

They are everywhere here. see several a day crossing the roads.

Comment

Found this fella in junction and he was about the size of a quarter. That picture is really zoomed in, he was the smallest I have ever seen.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by trooperjd View Post
                                Found this fella in junction and he was about the size of a quarter. That picture is really zoomed in, he was the smallest I have ever seen.
                                Where did you shoot the big cat.

Comment

Working...
                                X