Looking at Fox Red or Silver Labs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at Fox Red or Silver Labs

Think this may be my old girls last season. Pretty sure I will never find another dog this good. But need to start looking. Don't like black or yellow labs. Wont be able to do another chocolate.

Thinking fox red or silver. Looking for probably Christmas January time. Female.

Not concerned with papers. Want hunting parents, and dog will live inside and be a family dog as well. Prefer as big bodied as possible. Love having 100+lb dogs. Also aware of the silver stigma.

Anybody with input or leads please let me know. Budget is limited I'm a coach with 3 kids.

Bella is 10 now and showing some age. Need to get a pup going.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

... I'm old school, labs are black... There has NEVER been a registered fox red or silver lab. Period end of discussion. They are black, yellow, or chocolate... The rest is money grubbing at best and lies about blood line at worst.

If you really don't care about papers then I would start watching classifieds. Maybe call around to a few trainers and see what you find. Sounds like an oops litter of good hunting bird dogs would be a good fit.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
      ... I'm old school, labs are black... There has NEVER been a registered fox red or silver lab. Period end of discussion. They are black, yellow, or chocolate... The rest is money grubbing at best and lies about blood line at worst.

If you really don't care about papers then I would start watching classifieds. Maybe call around to a few trainers and see what you find. Sounds like an oops litter of good hunting bird dogs would be a good fit.
      I could care less about the popularity contest between the colors.

My chocolate is out of papered labs. But never registered. She's been an absolute machine since the day I got her. This is her 10th season.

Even at her age she'll out hunt anything she's been around.

And I generally hunt her 40+ days a season.

I want a giant female dog, lots of drive, and a cool color.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
        I could care less about the popularity contest between the colors.

My chocolate is out of papered labs. But never registered. She's been an absolute machine since the day I got her. This is her 10th season.

Even at her age she'll out hunt anything she's been around.

And I generally hunt her 40+ days a season.

I want a giant female dog, lots of drive, and a cool color.

And I'm saying you are looking for the best kind of dog in the portion of the population of dogs and population of breeders who are the LEAST focused on drive, hunt and health, and MOST likely to be shady

You do you, just be careful and vet your sources is all I'm saying

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
          I mean fox reds are literally just a shade of yellow. All fox reds can register just as a yellow. Silver are different though wouldn’t suggest one of those. I haven’t seen many big fox reds . My yellow and his orange dad both sit around 75lbs but they are freaks for ducks and retrieving and great on off switches. Reds and yellows are the same thing OP

Comment

Your son must be an amazing sniper to shoot WW dove with a Red Ryder

Comment

My vet told me no and hell no when I brought up getting a silver lab last year. Too many health issues.

Comment

No help on a breeder, but if you decide to go with a silver please do your homework on the breeder. We have a black lab and a silver and they are both amazing dogs, but the silver has major skin issues that even the vet can’t figure out. I’ve been around some fantastic silvers and they are amazing dogs, but there are breeders in it just for the color.

Comment

Originally posted by buckfever12 View Post
                  No help on a breeder, but if you decide to go with a silver please do your homework on the breeder. We have a black lab and a silver and they are both amazing dogs, but the silver has major skin issues that even the vet can’t figure out. I’ve been around some fantastic silvers and they are amazing dogs, but there are breeders in it just for the color.
                  I have a registered chocolate lab that has bad skin issues and our vet can't figure it out either.

Comment

Originally posted by buckfever12 View Post
                    Yes. I'm aware. If it comes to a silver I will look into both parents and previous offspring to see how they are health and hunting wise.

The fox red is a simpler one.

I'm in waco area if it matters.

I'll be doing all training myself. Im not a pro but cajuns have a pretty decent track record on dogs.

Comment

Get a black lab or a yellow, lots of Great Breeders out there!

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
                        I have a registered chocolate lab that has bad skin issues and our vet can't figure it out either.
                        I have a big yellow lab with the same skin issues!

Comment

Good luck, lost my yellow lab to lymphatic cancer. Just acquired two chocolate labs, could not handle another yellow. Only advice I have is take your time. I saw many labs for sale but prices seemed high, 800, 1200, 2500, 3000. Too high for me. Finally found some good folks near Houston, got labs for 400 a piece. Posted photos here on another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                            Good luck, lost my yellow lab to lymphatic cancer. Just acquired two chocolate labs, could not handle another yellow. Only advice I have is take your time. I saw many labs for sale but prices seemed high, 800, 1200, 2500, 3000. Too high for me. Finally found some good folks near Houston, got labs for 400 a piece. Posted photos here on another thread.
                            That's about what I'm looking for. Hopefully something pops up.

Comment

It’s amazing to me how everybody gives you their negative opinions on a dog that you were looking for. There are many dogs out there including a German Shepherd that have hip issues and different problems. Get the dog you want and like and you love it. Might cost you extra money due to the genetics but, that’s your choice. Good luck finding it

Comment

Working...
                              X