Teacher strikes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HC Sniper View Post
    For those that say if you don't like the pay, go find another job. Let's say teacher really did that ( go find another job), where would you and your children be then. You would have to go private or home school. Which now takes one of your family incomes away (cost for private or someone stays home with the kids). Let me know how this works for you.
    This is the unintended consequence for what they suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      Brother, I truly feel sorry for all you good people who are doing your best to teach kids but are having to do it in a system that is completely ruined. Liberals have, probably irreparably, ruined our public school system. All the things you just described are infuriating. You and me, as taxpayers, are paying for that mess, and you are working in it every day trying to get positive things done when the whole system you're in is geared toward rewarding negative behaviors and outcomes. I don't know what the fix is, other than completely gutting the system and putting some actual adults in charge again and starting over. The liberal politicians that have ruined the public school system ought to be fired on the spot, if not put into jail, for what they've done and are still doing. But they're growing the ignorant and dependent citizens that they want in the voting booths from now on, so I'm sure they see it as a huge win.
      Privatize every aspect of it is about the only thing i can imagine doing any good.
      Liberalism ruins everything it touches.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
        because our school systems keep producing fast food worker quality students?
        HMMM.

So you can grow a 180 inch buck in an area with bad genetics?

You can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink. Some people are just destined for being on the street.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          Privatize every aspect of it is about the only thing i can imagine doing any good.
          Eliminating all of the sports programs as well. There are private sports for that if you choose.

Comment

Don't kid yourself either - it is not just about salary now. The long-term implications of retirement pensions for a workforce that serves your children is the greater risk. In TX, even working as a teacher for 30 years (which is a lifetime worth of great service) retires at 69% of the average of his/her 5 highest years of salary. That is also a fixed annuity with a limited history of cost of living increase.

This translates to a teacher who works for 30 years in TX, has 5 years at $66k or higher, and retires making $45k per year. In perspective, think about living on a $45k salary 10 years from now...$20k less than now. As health care premiums continue to climb, as well as the cost of living. The mechanism to retire securely as a teacher is dependent on salary, etc in most states., and in the report below it highlights that one of the most noblest professions has put 1 million teachers at risk for their long-term health financially. Of course there are other means to balance out the retirement structure as an individual, but in the grand scheme teachers certainly understood the challenges financially and signed up for a life of service (for those that stay). They certainly deserve better. My folks certainly deserve better for their life of service.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              I am going to put a challenge up to any of you on the GS.

IF you think we make enough money or tell us if we do not like what we are getting paid, then go find something else that will pay us what we think we are worth, THEN come and stand in my shoes for 1 week and deal with 16 kids from K thru 5, deal with the behaviors, deal with the academics we are responsible for, deal with the paperwork were are responsible for and deal with these kids when we have no way to discipline them and these kids know it. This is on a daily basis and i doubt very seriously that many of you work in an environment where you can get hit with chairs, belts, shoes or whatever they can get their hands on and get spit on and bloodied every stinking day! I doubt many could even last 2 or 3 days. Do not sit there and tell teachers all the time they have off when most if they are good work way more than the time they spend at school. We have trainings after school and during the summer and have to do trainings to get some of the time off. All teachers have become because of politicians is glorified baby sitters. We spend more waking time with your kid during the school year than most parents do.
              Do I think we deserve more pay, HELL yes, but I do what I do because I love this job and want to help these kids. Are public school messed up, YES, no discipline and all they can teach for is the STAAR test and YES, no one gets a failing grade. They can be held back one time in elementary and that is it no matter how far below grade level they are.

My teaching assistants also make way less than the $15 per hour some fast food workers are getting!
              FYI, I had a severe behavior problem with a student this morning before school ever started, got bloodied on one arm and a hand and took a punch full force in the privates that I never saw coming. Nice way to start a day. Any takers on my challenge?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                Yep. That's why liberals fight so hard against vouchers. They know what choice most people would make if they were able to choose which school to send their kids to. We were blessed to be able to have ours in private school from K-12. It was a huge sacrifice and not easy, but we did it. ZERO regrets. If I were doing it again today, I would dang sure do private school or homeschool.

Comment

Most teachers aren’t leaving from lack of compensation. But the ones who leave for higher paying jobs are the good teachers who have the snap to go into private sector roles, which leaves the school at a deficit.
                  Teachers in general, from those I know personally, just want to able to teach. It’s that simple and that complicated. They want support and love for the kids at home, support and respect of their role from parents, and administration that does what is best for the classroom and uses common sense.

My wife sends emails and text weekly and a monthly news letter to her kids parents outlining the upcoming homework, any homework that is late, and lessons that will be coming up so that the parents can stage engaged. The monthly news letter requires a parent signature. Each reporting cycle, she will have 20+ parents that come to her screaming saying they “never knew little Johnny had homework and that she never told them he had 5 assignments never turned in” and now the school says for each of these cases she has to allow the kid to make everything up for full credit, document we’re she tried to reach the parents, and setup a minimum of a conference call with each parent to review but a face to face meeting is preferred. I think most rational people would say, they didn’t do the work, they knew about the work, they get a zero....nope. The workload for teachers is unrealistic, but many won’t leave because they feel a duty to be there for the kids they know have no one else. I tell my wife every year to do something else, and then every year she goes back for the kids. Not for the money and not for the prestige, but for the kids who she sees learn and grow.

I think it’s a bit disingenuous to say “they don’t have to be teachers if they don’t like it.” After 10+ years in a job, the options are limited for doing something different. This is especially true for teachers in early childhood education.The school district knows, and so does your boss.

Comment

FYI, I had a severe behavior problem with a student this morning before school ever started, got bloodied on one arm and a hand and took a punch full force in the privates that I never saw coming. Nice way to start a day. Any takers on my challenge?
                    I don't know how you do it. I couldn't put up with that for a single day. Rather than challenging random people to trade places, I think your administrators that refuse to allow discipline in your classroom are the folks who need to be trading places with you. Maybe they'd get a dang clue.

Comment

Sorry you got beat up. Did you at least tell her to stop?

just jokes... thats a part of the job that shouldnt be .. but liberals took the power to discipline out of the schools.and gave the kids 'rights'... go yell at them.
                      maybe take some MMA courses over the summer to help protect yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        I don't know how you do it. I couldn't put up with that for a single day. Rather than challenging random people to trade places, I think your administrators that refuse to allow discipline in your classroom are the folks who need to be trading places with you. Maybe they'd get a dang clue.

Ha no joke!

Our superintendent had an affair with another teachers wife, got an early dismissal from his role and paid out through his contract.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                          They deserve whatever they’re asking for and should strike. Problem with teaching and law enforcement jobs this day and age is they’re not respected anymore. They do a hard job, for crappy pay, and get constant criticism for it.
                          Thank you, and well put...
                          What's interesting and REALLY FUN is that teachers deal with many of the same problems and the same demographics of society as police. Students are criminals and somehow get to walk the halls. The way some parents treat teachers and school, as a 19-year free day care, is egregious.

My wife and I both teach. If you think it would be easy, and we're paid enough, then I beg you/dare you to come volunteer for one day in a public school.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                            As long as 20% of the parents are paying 100% of the School taxes, Teachers will NOT be getting a raise.
                            Doesnt matter how high they raise their poster board slogans.
                            Fix that, and you'll fix your pay problem.
                            I'm still trying to figure this one out. I see in a later post that your point is that plenty of kid's parents aren't paying for them to go to school. I get that. But I have always looked at it in the other direction. There are a lot of folks that don't have kids that are paying for our kid's education.

I paid property taxes for several years when I didn't have a kid going to school. Now I have two kids in school, so to some degree, I feel like I am paying their way. But granted, what I pay in School taxes doesn't seem like a ton compared to what I imagine private school costs. But it isn't chump change either. I work with a ton of folks that don't have kids and yet they are paying for my kiddos education.

Obviously this is going to vary by district. In our district, I would think there are more non-parents paying than parents who don't pay.

But... you get the same problem... people don't want their school taxes raised because they don't have kids benefiting from those taxes!!!

Comment

My wife is a teacher....therefore I support them in all their endeavors and wish them all the luck in the world getting what they desire!

Comment

Originally posted by kyleseipp View Post
                                Don't kid yourself either - it is not just about salary now. The long-term implications of retirement pensions for a workforce that serves your children is the greater risk. In TX, even working as a teacher for 30 years (which is a lifetime worth of great service) retires at 69% of the average of his/her 5 highest years of salary. That is also a fixed annuity with a limited history of cost of living increase.

This translates to a teacher who works for 30 years in TX, has 5 years at $66k or higher, and retires making $45k per year. In perspective, think about living on a $45k salary 10 years from now...$20k less than now. As health care premiums continue to climb, as well as the cost of living. The mechanism to retire securely as a teacher is dependent on salary, etc in most states., and in the report below it highlights that one of the most noblest professions has put 1 million teachers at risk for their long-term health financially. Of course there are other means to balance out the retirement structure as an individual, but in the grand scheme teachers certainly understood the challenges financially and signed up for a life of service (for those that stay). They certainly deserve better. My folks certainly deserve better for their life of service.

https://www.teacherpensions.org/site...eportFinal.pdf
                                Eh, in today's IR environment, 45k a year pension would translate to (at least) a million dollars in assets to obtain that yield. That's not that bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X