Teacher strikes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
    because our school systems keep producing fast food worker quality students?
    Mighty broad brush.

Comment

Maybe Texas will follow and lobby for abolishing the STAAR and higher wages.

My wife is a teacher and on two incomes we’re fine but there is NO WAY a teacher can support a family much less a single parent teacher. They do so much for the society and are constantly spit on by worthless parents, bratty kids and lawmakers further padding their retirement! My wife comes from a long line of teachers and it was her dream job to follow in the steps but I believe every day she’s inching closer to giving up on those who have no respect for her.

Comment

Teachers do a job that most of us would not do for twice the money. Maybe a football coach shouldn't make twice what a teacher makes. Maybe a school shouldn't spend millions on sports programs when the kids are functionally illiterate. That's where the money goes that our teachers should be getting. It has always irritated the hell out of me to see the money, my money, being spent on sports in public schools. If you want a sports program in your city, get in your own back pocket and let me spend my tax dollars on education.

Comment

As a principal and former Ag teacher, I will go on record saying it is not the pay that is the problem. LACK OF RESPECT IS THE PROBLEM PERIOD!!!!! Teachers teach because they love helping kids. For many years teachers have said "Lord knows we don't do it for the money". Even parents who want their children to receive a good education won't get out of the way and let us do our jobs. Everyone becomes an expert on what children need. I'm a parent too, and I will always admit that algebra and chemistry teachers are much smarter than me at teaching algebra and chemistry.

Now let's talk discipline. Even the best and brightest students we have, now have an attitude toward educators. They have heard mom and dad talk about how stupid those teachers are, how lame that test is, or how inept the admin is. The day they took the paddle away is the day they lost all levels of respect. It's not that your kid will get a paddling, rather that that possibility is out there. When children hear parents say no one will touch my children but me, we lose all credibility. If your child is being a little ****, they will never get a paddling.

This scenario sums up our problems:

Principal: "Ma'am your son is going to iss because he called Mrs. Smith a b*&ch."

Parent: Yelling "I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THAT F*****G B*&CH SAID TO HIM THAT MADE HIM THAT MAD."

Until parents, tv shows and multi media start teaching and demanding respect out of our youth, we will continue to see educators asking for "hazard pay" increases.

By the way, it is against the law for teachers to strike in Texas.

Comment

They have every right to strike. For those that don't know, I am a teacher in Texas. The system is requiring us to do an incredible amount of just paperwork before I can even prepare for my daily lessons. On top of all this , next year the system will require teachers to have written attainable goals for every student, in every class, that they have (it is called SLO). I already have goals that I want to attain in my classes, but for every single student is ridiculous. This is for TTESS. Those that aren't teachers might not understand how much time and paperwork this will take away from actually teaching/ preparing for lessons, this will take. All the jumping through hoops is insane! Bring back the days when I could just teach. I am not sure if a Texas teacher are going to put up with all this, either. It is easy for me cause I have reached my retirement numbers and can quit anytime I want, but others will have no other option except strike. And we haven't even started on salaries for teachers. I knew going in my pay would not be high. I have no problem with that. But I can guarantee, for what I put up with now compared to then, I **** sure deserve better pay. Some one better consider what will happen if all teachers in Texas go on strike. Think about that for a while!!!!
            Last edited by HC Sniper; 04-20-2018, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet Hunter View Post
              As a principal and former Ag teacher, I will go on record saying it is not the pay that is the problem. LACK OF RESPECT IS THE PROBLEM PERIOD!!!!! Teachers teach because they love helping kids. For many years teachers have said "Lord knows we don't do it for the money". Even parents who want their children to receive a good education won't get out of the way and let us do our jobs. Everyone becomes an expert on what children need. I'm a parent too, and I will always admit that algebra and chemistry teachers are much smarter than me at teaching algebra and chemistry.

Now let's talk discipline. Even the best and brightest students we have, now have an attitude toward educators. They have heard mom and dad talk about how stupid those teachers are, how lame that test is, or how inept the admin is. The day they took the paddle away is the day they lost all levels of respect. It's not that your kid will get a paddling, rather that that possibility is out there. When children hear parents say no one will touch my children but me, we lose all credibility. If your child is being a little ****, they will never get a paddling.

Principal: "Ma'am your son is going to iss because he called Mrs. Smith a b*&ch."

Parent: Yelling "I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THAT F*****G B*&CH SAID TO HIM THAT MADE HIM THAT MAD."

Until parents, tv shows and multi media start teaching and demanding respect out of our youth, we will continue to see educators asking for "hazard pay" increases.

This sums up the problem with education perfectly and is precisely the reason i told my wife she would never sign another ISD contract about 5-6 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                As long as 20% of the parents are paying 100% of the School taxes, Teachers will NOT be getting a raise.
                Doesnt matter how high they raise their poster board slogans.
                Fix that, and you'll fix your pay problem.
                This.

Comment

Curious....Why would having attainable goals for individual students in grade school be 'ridiculous'?
                  Sound like you want a College or University job...where you can lecture and not actually develop students.

That said.. I agree teachers need more money. We have teachers in our family, and tons of friends are teachers.
                  But the money comes from one place - and like I said in an earlier post, until that is fixed - might want to get a second job.
                  Last edited by systemnt; 04-20-2018, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                    They deserve whatever they’re asking for and should strike. Problem with teaching and law enforcement jobs this day and age is they’re not respected anymore. They do a hard job, for crappy pay, and get constant criticism for it.
                    This! When you see what a overpaid crybaby athlete makes and compare it to a teacher or 1st responder salary it is sickening. I support the teachers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet Hunter View Post

You Sir are 100% correct!

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                        I'm in as well

Not really up on the reason for these particular strikes, so I shouldn't be commenting -- but I'm assuming it's based on pay, dissatisfaction with the way the schools are run, and a general lack of support from administration and parents.....

My mom was a teacher, and most of her friends were teachers as well.

It simply isn't what it used to be and I'm afraid that the death of public schools is imminent.
                        My mom is a teacher and is getting close to retirement. She left LISD two years ago, and at the time was ready to take early retirement and just find supplemental income from a side job. She was fed up with the way admin handled things, and couldn’t get any support. She had a single student that was sent to the principals office something absurd like 64-68 times in a single school year, and not a single action of recourse was taken. No detention, no ISS, no expulsion, nothing. It just led the students to run rampant as they knew nothing would happen. She caught two jr high students having sex outside of her classroom window, and took it to the principal. What was his solution? Move her room so she couldn’t see out a window anymore.

She changed to a small school district again last year, and she’s MUCH happier. She didn’t realize how much better behaved the kids are, and how well they can perform when they actually have an administration that doesn’t hinder them at every turn. She’s decided that she can finish out her retirement at her new ISD.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                          As long as 20% of the parents are paying 100% of the School taxes, Teachers will NOT be getting a raise.
                          Doesnt matter how high they raise their poster board slogans.
                          Fix that, and you'll fix your pay problem.
                          Not entirely accurate.

Schools are funded by property taxes (the statistics you are quoting are income taxes and even then 20% pay 87% of the bill).

Even if you own no property a portion of your rent goes to pay the taxes for the owner of the property.

Only way to go to school and pay no taxes is to be homeless......and 80% of the students are not homeless.

Some lower SES families will stuff 2-3 families in an apartment which reduces the per student taxes but does not eliminate the taxes. And on that note businesses also pay the tax yet will never have a student.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                            I am going to put a challenge up to any of you on the GS.

IF you think we make enough money or tell us if we do not like what we are getting paid, then go find something else that will pay us what we think we are worth, THEN come and stand in my shoes for 1 week and deal with 16 kids from K thru 5, deal with the behaviors, deal with the academics we are responsible for, deal with the paperwork were are responsible for and deal with these kids when we have no way to discipline them and these kids know it. This is on a daily basis and i doubt very seriously that many of you work in an environment where you can get hit with chairs, belts, shoes or whatever they can get their hands on and get spit on and bloodied every stinking day! I doubt many could even last 2 or 3 days. Do not sit there and tell teachers all the time they have off when most if they are good work way more than the time they spend at school. We have trainings after school and during the summer and have to do trainings to get some of the time off. All teachers have become because of politicians is glorified baby sitters. We spend more waking time with your kid during the school year than most parents do.
                            Do I think we deserve more pay, HELL yes, but I do what I do because I love this job and want to help these kids. Are public school messed up, YES, no discipline and all they can teach for is the STAAR test and YES, no one gets a failing grade. They can be held back one time in elementary and that is it no matter how far below grade level they are.

My teaching assistants also make way less than the $15 per hour some fast food workers are getting!

I second this challenge, and would like to add to it.

Try driving a school bus for just one day. Put your back to 70 kids for 4 hours a day, while driving a 45’ long, 8’ wide vehicle and dealing with other drivers that only see you as a nusense. I have been kicked, hit, cussed out, threatened, spit on, and verbally abused by the students on my bus. Parents have cussed me out, yelled at me, and threatened me. However I keep driving the school bus so I can help teach these kids life lessons that parents won’t and schools don’t have time to.

So this leads me to my additional challenge. To those of you who say deal with it, what are you doing to positively impact our future outside of your own house? The kids are our future.

As Ronald Reagan said, “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.”

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                              Not entirely accurate.

Schools are funded by property taxes (the statistics you are quoting are income taxes and even then 20% pay 87% of the bill).

Even if you own no property a portion of your rent goes to pay the taxes for the owner of the property.

Only way to go to school and pay no taxes is to be homeless......and 80% of the students are not homeless.

Some lower SES families will stuff 2-3 families in an apartment which reduces the per student taxes but does not eliminate the taxes. And on that note businesses also pay the tax yet will never have a student.
                              I can assure you the 5 families I know that share a rental house in an old subdivision i owned property in..,..and drop their kids off at everymorning so they can catch a bus to school in a district they dont live in.. dont pay 1 ****in dime in school taxes for 11 (yes - 11 kids goin to that school..)
                              And i can also guarantee you that those 11 kids.. get their lunchs free (to them), and materials ....because i ****in asked the teachers.

Comment

Systemnt -- it is not the having attainable goals for every student, it is the amount of time this is going to take away from my actually preparing for my classes. The jumping through hoops that I have to do now is incredible. What the system want is more extra work/time for the same pay. Teachers only recourse is to quit or walk out. Nobody in any other job will work overtime for no pay. As stated by Hornet Hunter, Texas teachers really can't strike. What can a Texas teacher do then? There is a shortage of teachers now, get ready for it to be worse if something isn't done soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X