Teacher strikes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
    Pay in the public schools, for the most part, is terrible compared to the private sector. If everyone left because pay is so bad then we would not have any public school employees at all.
    I don't know about east Texas as I know no teachers here, but pay at most private schools in Wisconsin, northeast Ohio, Amarillo, and Michigan is way worse than public. My mom made a good amount of money working at public schools in Wisconsin, so much so that she retired early. She also worked to get her maters plus all additional credits she could to increase her pay. Private school teachers also generally do not have the benefit of a union.

That being said, teachers should get paid more. They work their asses off to teach kids right from wrong, especially when parents can't, don't, or refuse to teach their kids.

If you want to keep paying teachers less and less, start teaching your kids at home. Then imagine doing that for 20-30 kids at a time.

Want to start cutting school funding? Start with the superintendents, the admins, all the back office staff that do not teach our kids at all, but make $100,000 or more a year, and push to build ridiculous stadiums for high school football.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
      My older sister is a teacher in Arizona and is prepared to walkout next Thursday...

I love my sister but can’t support her in this. She complains about the pay but previously willingly worked in a private school for less $. I can’t reconcile how that was ok, but now as a state employee who makes more and has better benefits she is somehow entitled to more.

She’s normally very conservative, I think the Phoenix sun/heat has finally gotten to her.
      More than likely the union got to her, not the heat

Comment

Originally posted by overcomer401965 View Post
        Why should a fast food worker make as much as a teacher?
        They don't.
        The hourly pay is not the only variable in the equation

Comment

You guys ask any teachers you know how often they pay for kids’ supplies out of their own pockets

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
            We are in contract negotiations right now and passed a strike authorization vote last month. "IF" we strike it won't be over pay either. Working conditions and benefits are key here. And our company is making money hand over fist.
            Good luck brother! We start ours in a few months. Time flies between agreements.

Comment

I am going to put a challenge up to any of you on the GS.

IF you think we make enough money or tell us if we do not like what we are getting paid, then go find something else that will pay us what we think we are worth, THEN come and stand in my shoes for 1 week and deal with 16 kids from K thru 5, deal with the behaviors, deal with the academics we are responsible for, deal with the paperwork were are responsible for and deal with these kids when we have no way to discipline them and these kids know it. This is on a daily basis and i doubt very seriously that many of you work in an environment where you can get hit with chairs, belts, shoes or whatever they can get their hands on and get spit on and bloodied every stinking day! I doubt many could even last 2 or 3 days. Do not sit there and tell teachers all the time they have off when most if they are good work way more than the time they spend at school. We have trainings after school and during the summer and have to do trainings to get some of the time off. All teachers have become because of politicians is glorified baby sitters. We spend more waking time with your kid during the school year than most parents do.
              Do I think we deserve more pay, HELL yes, but I do what I do because I love this job and want to help these kids. Are public school messed up, YES, no discipline and all they can teach for is the STAAR test and YES, no one gets a failing grade. They can be held back one time in elementary and that is it no matter how far below grade level they are.

My teaching assistants also make way less than the $15 per hour some fast food workers are getting!

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                More than likely the union got to her, not the heat
                Yep they are trained to never be satisfied with anything their employer does.

Comment

To pay more someone has to foot the bill. I can’t imagine the thought of paying more school taxes.... but if you walk in my daughters 1st grade room you will see it’s coming. 4-5 are “non contributors “, and someone’s got to pay there way too in this country. That said teachers are one of the most underpaid jobs there is. They don’t print enough money for me to handle that environment and most of them do it with a smile on their face.

My sister teaches in Prosper, I don’t know her pay.. but she ain’t hurting any

Comment

Well I have never been a teacher but my middle daughter is. When she wanted to major in education I made sure that she understood, beyond a shadow of a doubt that the pay would be marginal. She was fine with that. Does she sometimes work longer hours than most would expect? Yes. Does she sometimes pay for stuff out of her own pocket? Yes. She is only a couple of years in but would she do anything else for a living? No. She still loves it. I am surprised that I have not seen it already posted but summer break is what ? 2-3 months? That has to be figured in I would think. She also works in a rural distract. That probably makes it a little better.

-john

Comment

They deserve whatever they’re asking for and should strike. Problem with teaching and law enforcement jobs this day and age is they’re not respected anymore. They do a hard job, for crappy pay, and get constant criticism for it.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                        Yep they are trained to never be satisfied with anything their employer does.
                        We learned that behavior from the employer. They are never satisfied either. Even when their pockets are overflowing

Comment

I kind of look at it like this, you knew what the pay was when you took the job if you don't like it find something else to do. Just like the miltary there pay is terrible but some of us did it anyway and we didn't go on strike an walk out shuck it up buttercup

Comment

For those experts on this thread that know nothing of what goes on let me give you some real numbers.

Every time we get a "Raise" we also get a massive increase in the cost of our health insurance that is about the exact same as the so called "Raise". But then the coverage goes down and the deductibles go up.

If it was not for the impact I make on the kids I would be gone.

Comment

As long as 20% of the parents are paying 100% of the School taxes, Teachers will NOT be getting a raise.
                              Doesnt matter how high they raise their poster board slogans.
                              Fix that, and you'll fix your pay problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                                To pay more someone has to foot the bill. I can’t imagine the thought of paying more school taxes.... but if you walk in my daughters 1st grade room you will see it’s coming. 4-5 are “non contributors “, and someone’s got to pay there way too in this country. That said teachers are one of the most underpaid jobs there is. They don’t print enough money for me to handle that environment and most of them do it with a smile on their face.

My sister teaches in Prosper, I don’t know her pay.. but she ain’t hurting any
                                Agree with the footing the bill part. However, lets start at docking the superintendent level pay before we raise taxes, lets stop building schools that are LEED certified and are small cities with cutting edge architecture, lets stop building dumb *** football stadiums for no reason, and once that is done, work our way down before we go and hammer the teacher who is just trying to help kids make something of themselves.

A good teacher is worth their weight in gold.

Comment

Working...
                                X