Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, Dave.

Thanks for your kind thoughts.
    Pitiful the way y'all's situation was handled.

As for UNK, wife and I went up a couple of weeks ago, and some locals said there is an effort being put forth by the Chamber of Commerce and some leading citizens to get the program reinstated. We'll see. Meantime, players have to make plans elsewhere.

Comment

I'll be heading out near Kearney on Friday. Too bad about the program being cut. I'm sure he'll find somewhere to play, hopefully with a better location then the middle of Nebraska!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BTGuard View Post
        I'll be heading out near Kearney on Friday. Too bad about the program being cut. I'm sure he'll find somewhere to play, hopefully with a better location then the middle of Nebraska!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
        Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck and wishes that he will land in a good opportunity.

Comment

Keep us posted on where he ends up....
            Looks like a heck of a ball player....Hope all those boys find places to continue to play and get an education..

LROSE

Comment

Definitely will update progress. Thanks for the support.

Occurs to me that some viewing may be interested to see all the Loper players available, so here is a link to the UNK Roster page. Clicking on each player's name leads to detailed info on his individual bio and stats, etc. To see more team info, just click on the "More+", and there are tabs for the Schedule, Coaches and, well, more.

The official 2018 Baseball Roster for the University of Nebraska - Kearney Lopers

(FYI, Eric's height and weight listed is from high school, now he's actually 6'2", 210)
              Last edited by tradtiger; 04-11-2018, 08:45 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

That sounds odd to me. Almost sounds like some PC/Title 9 stuff....more than $$$. Doesn't sound like any women's sports were cut.

Comment

bad deal, i hope they get it figured out and hope it all works out for your son

Comment

Bad deal. Hope he lands in a good place with a better situation.

Comment

Will confirm that no women's sports were cut. When I talked to a UNK assistant vice chancellor, she acknowledged that Title 9 definitely is a factor in keeping women's sports budgets' protected.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                        Will confirm that no women's sports were cut. When I talked to a UNK assistant vice chancellor, she acknowledged that Title 9 definitely is a factor in keeping women's sports budgets' protected.
                        Does the Univ. have a Softball Team? If so, why cut the men's team? Doesn't make sense....especially if the baseball team raised a good chunk of money recently...

Comment

Originally posted by LROSE View Post
                          Does the Univ. have a Softball Team? If so, why cut the men's team? Doesn't make sense....especially if the baseball team raised a good chunk of money recently...
                          Yes, sir. UNK has a women's softball team, along with golf, tennis, volleyball, basketball, soccer, swimming, cross country and track and field -- all of which will remain intact, to my knowledge.

And, I would have no desire for any of those sports to be cut, either. The fact is that Title 9 is a federally mandated way of life in college athletics. Not an expert on this, but I know others are -- Dave....

Also, I don't know enough about the politics of Nebraska to understand if this was a "splashy", attention-getting move to get more overall funding for the school or higher education in general, or not. The administrator I talked to said 38 faculty and staff are being cut, as well, at the school.

Bottom line: it's a dirty deal for the guys who committed to come play ball there, and it stinks for the coaches, who went all over the country to improve the program, not to mention all the supporters who have raised money to build and maintain first-class facilities. So now the players and coaches have to go looking for places to catch on, abandon relationships, due to the stroke of a bureaucratic pen.

Comment

That really stinks. Hopefully he gets something better. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by tmstuk View Post
                              That really stinks. Hopefully he gets something better. Good luck.
                              Thank you.

In addition to our man, I'm really hoping for good things for all the guys and coaches. We've gotten to meet and know quite a few of them, and they're a good bunch of folks. Any coaches viewing should really take a look at some of those guys on the roster link posted above.

(Edit: Roster link on Post #21)
                              Last edited by tradtiger; 04-11-2018, 12:08 PM.

Comment

If anyone is interested, the Lopers will play Fort Hayes State at 3 p.m. today, with live streaming video from Kearney, NE at the link below:

University of Nebraska at Kearney on the MIAA Digital Network | Live and On-Demand Video Streaming from the Mid America Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Comment

Working...
                                X