How to keep turkeys on property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clayree View Post
    We use apple corn & they hit it pretty hard.
    Turkey have a poor sense of smell so I'm betting it is more the visual of corn than the smell of apple.

Comment

Two properties I hunt we do a lot of prescribed burning. If we burn between November and Feb it provides great turkey grounds and they always flock to those areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        Regular corn works well too..

Man that's crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
          Man that's crazy!
          Shane that's just a hand full really.. What's crazy and amazing is seeing a wave of about 500-600 moving through a pasture feeding on grass hoppers....

Comment

This time of year the hens need nesting cover, grow the preferred combo of grass/brush the hens will move in. Had a lease with this problem in reverse, spring into summer we were covered up with turkeys, they disappeared late summer through winter.

Comment

Oh yes...most importanly.....do not celebrate Thanksgiving on the property you want them on. It makes them uneasy.. Thank me later..

Comment

Originally posted by oldtestamentman View Post
                Pics tel it all. Daily feeding.
                Is this at your new property?

Comment

They need nesting cover to hang around in spring. Talk with a biologist about how to improve nesting cover on your place and take care of those predators, hogs really like turkey nests.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                    Another thing a lot of people don't consider is grass. Too much and they don't like to walk in it as they cant see as well. Too little and hens wont nest in the area without enough cover. We used to mow areas in our river bottom to encourage them to stay around....
                    I will 2nd this. The birds really like manicured areas to strut around in.
                    We mowed about 5 acres right along our creek and put a feeder in the middle.
                    For the last month, it is turkey bird central.

Comment

Corn feeders and do lots of predator control!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                        Think he typed milo and phone changed it. Mine did too
                        No, no....milk's right. I've killed 'em with their lips dripping with the stuff.

Comment

They love pepper, but keep in mind that they hate cinnamon.

Errr was that tigers?

Comment

Elevated Turkey feeders.

Comment

Yes it is Stickman, next to Laureles Division of the King.
                              I have a live creek that borders to the South and Kingsville NAS. Turkey and deer love Jet noise like me!
                              Also had a forestry mulcher clear about 5 acres in locations and you all were right, the turkey prefer open areas.

My rafter of turks don't like that tall guinnie grass either, they have adapted to it; they fly around allot instead of walking in the grass. They fly from feeding to roosting and back like a covey of quail.

Comment

The Fritos are a truce between the Javies and I. They love em!

Comment

Working...
                                X