No announcement yet.

Rating the Hard Coolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never owned one but Taiga coolers are veteran owned and made in the USA:

American Made Coolers- Veteran Owned When you need a cooler for base camp, a day trip or a week long extreme mountain excursion, Taiga has what you need. Choose our standard colors or personalize your cooler using our custom cooler builder. Add company or group logos, names, pictures, if you can imagine we can make it

Can someone buy me one so I can give a review?

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
      KODIE at HEB
      Best out there IMO. I have Yeti and RTIC as well, the KODI is way better.

Comment

I prefer Pelican, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Comment

Rather than spouting out the name brands, I'm gonna just say which features I look for in my "game" coolers.

1) It has to have a comfortable carry handle. I have an Igloo Yukon that has the molded handles. This is really nice for carrying, but somewhat of a pain for organizing since the handles stick out.

2) It has to have a big drain plug. I like the big 2" drain plug on my Yukon... those little soda bottle top size drain plugs take too long to drain and get clogged easily (call them that because if you loose the drain plug, you can use a pepsi soda bottle top - same thread!)

3) Beefy Hinge. Should be a big pin/bolt and ideally the hinge molded into the lid and bottom, no screwed in plastic hinges, etc.

4) Latches - There are a ton of latch styles... the rubber bungee style seem to work well.

5) Size - I'd rather own two 75 qts instead of one big 150 qt. The 150qt are heavy and expensive. The cheap igloo 150 qts were great for leaving in the garage with a couple deer, but where a pain to move by yourself full of meat/ice. They also had the cheap hinges and latches. Now I'd rather own two 75 qts. Right now I just have the one 75 qt and I can fit a lot in there with less ice, but the ice seems to last a bit longer once the meat gets cooled off!

I plan on buying another 75+/- cooler in the future...

Comment

You guys who own the Pelican must be gym rats to be able to lift it into the bed of the truck. They are the heaviest cooler i ever put my hands on and seem to be pretty cramped inside the actual cooler in comparable sized rtics and such,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
              Get a 120qt igloo for $50.00.
              Throw it away, when the hinges break off and get another one.
              Ha! Throw em to me! I've got igloo's that are 20+ years old. Biggest reason the hinges give out (other than being plastic) is because the lid stop is gone.(or peeps can't take care of stuff) Keep a decent lid stop on there and go get some stainless hinges the first time they need to be replaced and I'm gtg! I've made hinges out of truck tire tube material that last several years as well. I've got a Boss Buck cooler for haulin' ice and it's awesome but for icing critters(when it's usually a bit cooler outside) the ruggedized cheaper marine coolers are great! To me, hauling bulk ice is the main reason for the fancier coolers. Don't buy the one's with the window sticker included tho..the crooks love that lil sticky note!

Comment

The only way is to Yeti.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                  Rather than spouting out the name brands, I'm gonna just say which features I look for in my "game" coolers.

1) It has to have a comfortable carry handle. I have an Igloo Yukon that has the molded handles. This is really nice for carrying, but somewhat of a pain for organizing since the handles stick out.

2) It has to have a big drain plug. I like the big 2" drain plug on my Yukon... those little soda bottle top size drain plugs take too long to drain and get clogged easily (call them that because if you loose the drain plug, you can use a pepsi soda bottle top - same thread!)

3) Beefy Hinge. Should be a big pin/bolt and ideally the hinge molded into the lid and bottom, no screwed in plastic hinges, etc.

4) Latches - There are a ton of latch styles... the rubber bungee style seem to work well.

5) Size - I'd rather own two 75 qts instead of one big 150 qt. The 150qt are heavy and expensive. The cheap igloo 150 qts were great for leaving in the garage with a couple deer, but where a pain to move by yourself full of meat/ice. They also had the cheap hinges and latches. Now I'd rather own two 75 qts. Right now I just have the one 75 qt and I can fit a lot in there with less ice, but the ice seems to last a bit longer once the meat gets cooled off!

I plan on buying another 75+/- cooler in the future...
                  you are spot on. I don't think say "I like my ....." and that is the extent of the post really helps anyone. I like your thought process.

Comment

Love my Yetis. I don't care where they are made. Chinese products are usually better then American (look at autos, electronics etc).

They don't support the NRA? Not a deal breaker. If everything I went after like Amazon, Briars Ice Cream etc didn't support my causes I would be empty handed. Fact 101

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                      You guys who own the Pelican must be gym rats to be able to lift it into the bed of the truck. They are the heaviest cooler i ever put my hands on and seem to be pretty cramped inside the actual cooler in comparable sized rtics and such,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      You may want to compare their specs...

Comment

Pelican coolers you gotta check. They don’t fit under my bed cover.

Comment

Rating the Hard Coolers

I have a Frio 45 cooler. A Texas company (based in Sealy)

Rotomolded construction, stainless latches, and a continuous hinge. They come with a motion activated light (a brilliant feature)

It’s been pretty darn good to me.

I’ve ordered a few other goodies from them, and they seem like really nice folks.

I’m looking forward to them building a larger cooler.

You can customize your cooler too, when you order.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I have several of the 150 quart igloo marine grade coolers that I use and have used for years.
                            My wife bought me one of the roto-molded jobs because..................well, I honestly don't know why.......but ended up with the 125q Kodi Cooler from HEB. Works as advertised and I really do like it. Will I buy another? Probably not but if I did it would be the Kodi. I really like the fact that it creates the vacuum that seals it like a freezer. The vacuum release button does come in handy

Comment

I am a Icehole guy ...No...www.Iceholecoolers.com
                              Made in Texas, Kerrville to be exact. Pro 2A, active in community and make one heck of a cooler. They use the same kind of latches as on Bradley fighting vehicles. Ice lasts me 10 days sometimes in the back of the truck and I like they way they can be locked/secured on the bed of the truck.

Comment

Maluna is a newer company that most owners swear by. I was in the original focus group when they started the company, however I never ended up buying one since I didn't need one bigger than my current cooler.

Comment

Working...
                                X