No announcement yet.

Bear meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bear made excellent smoked sausage, breakfast sausage, butterfly back strap, and pot roast!!
    Just cook it well done and you have no worries!

Comment

A friend shot one once. It had been eating carion. No way was I going to eat buzzard type meat but I read some where where buzzard meat was good. Nope.

Comment

Lived in Alaska for a while and will eat anything there is, but bear! Do it for the rug or not at all!

Comment

Slow cooked like a roast is good with carrots and potatoes but greasy like coon meat.

Comment

Just like a giant raccoon. In the Spring, where we hunt, the things are full of worms. I've heard that Fall bears are much better, but I've seen bear carcasses dumped that dang vultures won't touch. If a scavenger won't touch it, I think I'll just stick with cow or deer.

Comment

Always wanted to try it and have been told that it really depends on what the bear have been eating. I.E. if they've been scrounging on garbage it's not worth eating but if they've been living in a berry patch the meat is good. But that's all heresay

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                Lived in Alaska for a while and will eat anything there is, but bear! Do it for the rug or not at all!
                They will only eat black bear if it is killed in the spring I think and not the fall, could be vice versa, they will not eat brown bear period ! That should tell you something about bear meat.

Comment

Here is the straight skinny on bear meat and trichinosis--from a friend who is a veterinarian, and has a PhD in wildlife disease--

"Correct on bear meat.... but still quite rare. Several things: Trichinosis is not normally a severe human problem. For years, in the days of feeding swine uncooked garbage, it was more frequent. Now basically absent from domestic pork.. rare in wild pigs. The muscle cysts are ‘killed’ if meat cooked to internal temp of 137F, so one need not “cook the crap” out of bear meat, pork, or any other meat. From ‘08-‘12 rare of infection was on the order of 1 case per 10 million people in US..... that’s from ALL sources!"

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                    They will only eat black bear if it is killed in the spring I think and not the fall, could be vice versa, they will not eat brown bear period ! That should tell you something about bear meat.
                    I think it is just the opposite, meat is good in the spring when they are feeding mainly on grass. In the fall, due to all the spawning salmon, many bears (even black bears) will eat fish. That is when the meat is not so good. However, those bears feeding high up in the mountain during fall on berries is Ok.

For what its worth, the best homemade jerky I've ever eaten was from a young fall bear feeding in grain fields.

Comment

I tried some bear meat from Georgia. It was good.

Comment

It depends what the guides have been baiting them with. I would only eat a bear that was killed over a pile of glazed donuts.

Comment

I had it once in a stew and I remember that it was greasy!

Good but lots of grease.

Comment

I've killed 4 , all fall bears, all were good. One from Maine, one from New Brunswick, two from Ontario. I think they are like hogs, all depends on what sex, how old, and what they have been eating. This last weekend, I ran into one of my son's friends, who told me the smoked bear he had at my house was the best meat he ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                              sausage
                              Use it like pork, mixed with venison?

Comment

Well, I guess you know now.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X