No announcement yet.

Teacher strikes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course I'd go on strike. You couldn't pay me enough to deal with those Tide Pod eatin little idiots all day. They should get paid more than your average person for just showing up and knowing one of those goobers might come in shooting everything in sight. What would possess anyone to want that job is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by DNTRanch View Post
      Yep, lets just get rid of all the teachers and schools and just privatize all schools and soon it'll cost 100,000 just to get out of High School.

Not true, cause if it could be done cheaper than a 100000 someone would come along and do it for cheaper and serve more students therefore becoming more profitable. The key to this is keep the government 100% out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        I not even remotely "rich" and yet my wife drives our kids to a home school private christian school combo 50 miles away in her new car. I work 2 jobs, my wife went from making 60k or more an year to 20k just so she can home school the kids 3 days a week. We pay 7k a year for their private school so they can have a better atmosphere for learning. Add up the lost revenue, tuition, and fuel this school cost us more than 30k a year. We make sacrifices for our kids. A whole lot parents will not make sacrifices for their kids, will not make sure to buy their kids school supplies or even make sure they are fed. I know its not the fault of the teachers, I know the teachers have no recourse, I know that way to many kids are distracting the rest of the class and i know that when told many parents blame the school and the teacher for their ****ty kids. But to say only the rich will benefit from private /voucher systems is ignorant. Everywhere it has been tried already the results prove with out a doubt everyone benefits.

Spot on

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet Hunter View Post
          Thanks for calling me ignorant. But my district is 82% economically disadvantaged. The kids get to and from school on the bus or walk. Parents never come to school, and if they do it is usually on foot or a borrowed car. The only hot meals they get are the 10 that I provide them here. But congrats on it working for you. Not everyone can afford to do that. To each his own.

I don’t think anyone would disagree there are some real issues with schools, especially inner city schooling, but I think a lot of us believe that throwing more money at a failing system isn’t the answer. Unfortunately, it is a generational problem that will take a few generations to fix. Men will have to learn to be men again, take care of there children and put themselves last when it comes to their kids. Unfortunately this isn’t being taught anywhere and the liberal agenda is actually pushing us farther away from this.
          If we ever want this fixed it will come to the father role being reestablished in society will have to take place.

Comment

I'll tell you first off I didn't get past reading page 1 of the comments. I read enough to know that if you have an opinion on them not striking then you really don't know enough about it to justify much of anything. A lot of the kids can drive you up the wall, not all but a good chunk of them. Then, you have admin running the show without having a clue about what goes on in the classrooms to begin with. Parents....it is not our jobs to raise your kids whether you think it or not. It is your job to discipline your kids and install good social skills and decision making skills so they can function in society. There are a ton of good parents out there that know how to get it done and they out weigh those that aren't. But that gap is closing and that's not good. I've only got about 9 years left and I hope to make it cause it's 10x harder now then when I started.

Yes I chose to teach, yes I knew the pay so you don't need to remind me of it. The profession is losing a lot of good teachers within the first 5 years of their careers because that's how bad public schools have become. We spend more time with your kids during the week then you do! Don't you want good teachers to stay in the classrooms? Pay us more, give us better benefits cause whether y'all think it or not, teaching is very stressful. I'd have quit a long time ago but every summer I go in thinking about a career change but toward the end my batteries are recharged and I go back to the battle.
            It's a 4 year degree that requires you to shape the leaders of tomorrow. Step up and show us how important that is it you and pay us for what we go through and the service we provide.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear Charge View Post
              And lose his license for "abandonment of contract."

Do you know the state legislature has made it ilegal to suspend a child in K-2 for any reason, including punching a teacher in the face?

Ok put it in the summer, and why is he worried about his license if he is going to quit teaching.

Comment

X2, from a parent of an ex teacher!

Comment

Originally posted by DosToros View Post
                  I live In Oklahoma, just got finished with a teacher strike. My question is this for the other states, where should the money for the raises come from? I want to know who, exactly, is going to pay for the raises? In Oklahoma the strike was about base salary first and foremost. Then it was about resources secondarily.

Everyone in Oklahoma wanted the teachers to get paid more. The struggle is is that there is just no money.

Edit: to clarify, I am Not a teacher, I had kids at home for 9 days during the strike.
                  Well, I'm a teacher and coach as well and have been in it for 20 years. I believe that we don't need MORE money, but better decisions on where the money is used... get rid of all the BS administrative positions, the regional service centers that provide nothing to 99% of us, make the state fund the schools like they're SUPPOSED to (quit raising our property taxes to make up for the state's lack of support), and quit paying millions for the dumb *** testing that we do. LET THE TEACHERS DO THEIR JOBS!! I believe we wouldn't need to raise taxes if we'd get the **** BS out of education!!!

I don't think there's ANY way I can make it 15 more years to retirement...anyone need an employee?

Comment

I live In Oklahoma, just got finished with a teacher strike. My question is this for the other states, where should the money for the raises come from? I want to know who, exactly, is going to pay for the raises? In Oklahoma the strike was about base salary first and foremost. Then it was about resources secondarily.

Everyone in Oklahoma wanted the teachers to get paid more. The struggle is is that there is just no money.

Edit: to clarify, I am Not a teacher, I had kids at home for 9 days during the strike.
                    Yet we seem to have truck loads of money to give other countries, pay for all the missiles we want to blow up the middle east and even for a bs investigation of Trump and the Russians.
                    We have plenty of money. Just the wrong priorities on spending it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Wouldn't the best time to strike have been right before the standardized testing? I could imagine a huge collective pucker if the state thought those tests may not happen. Just spitballing here.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Dodson View Post
                        No but your able to put in your notice

I went into the coaching field in 1975, probably before you were born at a great salary of $8600 per year plus a measly stipend for coaching at $1500 per year PLUS having to drive a school bus every morning for $50 per month. I WANTED TO COACH! Only lasted 3 years before money took me out into the private sector.

I am not going to put in my notice ( at 65 love trying to help these kids with an emotional disturbance no matter what they do to me, could you do that, OH evidently not!) and I notice you will not take my challenge. Can't handle it right?

You people that think teaching and all the time off we have do not know a single thing about this profession and the CRAP we have to put up with from terrible parents, terrible kids and a system that is broke and having to spend our own money on supplies and such and get a WHOPPPING $250 tax break for what we spend no matter how much we spend! No discipline, no money and no backing from most administrators, school boards, Central offices and the fools in Austin or Washington.

Comment

The reason is the tribes do not pay their share! They want to use the system, but expect someone else to pay for it There is no one in state government that will raise that fact! The whole state is in the barrel, but Oklahoma City and Tulsa! Why? The reason is their is an economy and tax paying citizens!

Or since your Governor had an extramarital affair with her State Trooper body guard who she married while in office, but gave them a 100% or so pay raise but no raise for teachers in years is a travesty. Most troopers in this state don’t have any formal qualifications comparable to any surrounding states, much less Texas. Corruption is rampant with public officials here and will continue because it is tolerated! I don’t have a teacher in my house or no of one, but it doesn’t take a genius to figure it out!
                          Last edited by Darton; 04-22-2018, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Meh, don't really know enough to comment. Revise my statement.
                            Last edited by BuckSmasher; 04-22-2018, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Dodson View Post
                              That’s every job in the country, not sure if you have noticed but healthcare sucks fr everyone.

Thank You Obamacare.......but that is another topic.

Comment

“Right now I’d say this is a step in the right direction, but today is the end of the beginning of our first little battle. They have awoken a sleeping giant.”

Comment

Working...
                                X